U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2007, 11:29 AM
 
43 posts, read 98,998 times
Reputation: 19
Smile Former New Orleanians Living in Nashville

We're moving to the Nashville area in a couple of months, probably in Fairview. I've heard that there are a couple of groups of families in the Nashville area who are former New Orleanians. Rumor has it they get together for crawfish boils, family outings, gumbo parties, etc. Anyone know about them or how I can contact them? As beautiful as middle Tennessee is, I know I'm going to get homesick! I'd love to hang out with other families who have made the adjustment.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2007, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
6,297 posts, read 15,017,816 times
Reputation: 1580
I work with two of them. I'll see if they know anything about a regular NO group.

I can said I've eaten more King cake in the past year than in all the rest of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 11:43 AM
kar
 
Location: Tampa Bay
179 posts, read 529,731 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumwunzma View Post
We're moving to the Nashville area in a couple of months, probably in Fairview. I've heard that there are a couple of groups of families in the Nashville area who are former New Orleanians. Rumor has it they get together for crawfish boils, family outings, gumbo parties, etc. Anyone know about them or how I can contact them? As beautiful as middle Tennessee is, I know I'm going to get homesick! I'd love to hang out with other families who have made the adjustment.

Thanks!
Welcome to Fairview! I can't help you on the crawfish boils, but I can help you on information about Fairview. I think you will like living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 12:18 PM
 
2 posts, read 8,434 times
Reputation: 10
new orleans in a beautiful place . or at least it was when i use to tour guide there ! that was before katrina . so much history and culture! it's expensive there . i found that out fast ! it's like no place i've ever visited in the us . most people who visit there end up staying , or returning .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2007, 12:25 AM
 
913 posts, read 2,408,354 times
Reputation: 154
Smile Nashville...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumwunzma View Post
We're moving to the Nashville area in a couple of months, probably in Fairview. I've heard that there are a couple of groups of families in the Nashville area who are former New Orleanians. Rumor has it they get together for crawfish boils, family outings, gumbo parties, etc. Anyone know about them or how I can contact them? As beautiful as middle Tennessee is, I know I'm going to get homesick! I'd love to hang out with other families who have made the adjustment.

Thanks!
I love Nashville and will be there soon...
Call the Police Chief Ronald Serpas, He is from NOLA...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2007, 12:26 AM
 
913 posts, read 2,408,354 times
Reputation: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I work with two of them. I'll see if they know anything about a regular NO group.

I can said I've eaten more King cake in the past year than in all the rest of my life.
Did you ever get the Doll?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2007, 11:00 PM
 
43 posts, read 98,998 times
Reputation: 19
Default Gotta love the king cake!

DeLaSalle, I realized in doing my research that Ronnie Serpas was there and am working on finding out who I know knows him. You know how that works! Not that I think I would NEED any favors, but one can't be too sure! Are you a fellow New Orleanian? A DeLaSalle graduate perhaps?

I've visited Fairview, Franklin, Brentwood, and parts of Nashville. I like that Fairview is up and coming. It has that small town feel that I've NEVER lived in before and it could be a good investment, real estate-wise. The people just seem so warm and friendly! I keep hearing how expensive Franklin and Brentwood are, but I haven't found that to be true - especially being from New Orleans. I have found the homes to be older though...and that's what we're moving away from!

Are there any Catholic schools close to Fairview? I know the public school system is excellent but I really like that religious education! Tell me about the moms groups. I have the greatest group of friends in the world here and I'd love to meet more fun, outgoing moms who love being with their kids (and who enjoy a good mom's night out sometimes!). Thanks for all the info!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2007, 11:51 PM
 
913 posts, read 2,408,354 times
Reputation: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumwunzma View Post
DeLaSalle, I realized in doing my research that Ronnie Serpas was there and am working on finding out who I know knows him. You know how that works! Not that I think I would NEED any favors, but one can't be too sure! Are you a fellow New Orleanian? A DeLaSalle graduate perhaps?

I've visited Fairview, Franklin, Brentwood, and parts of Nashville. I like that Fairview is up and coming. It has that small town feel that I've NEVER lived in before and it could be a good investment, real estate-wise. The people just seem so warm and friendly! I keep hearing how expensive Franklin and Brentwood are, but I haven't found that to be true - especially being from New Orleans. I have found the homes to be older though...and that's what we're moving away from!

Are there any Catholic schools close to Fairview? I know the public school system is excellent but I really like that religious education! Tell me about the moms groups. I have the greatest group of friends in the world here and I'd love to meet more fun, outgoing moms who love being with their kids (and who enjoy a good mom's night out sometimes!). Thanks for all the info!!!!
Hi

There is such a great selection of Neighborhoods in the Greater Nashville area...

I love the feeling of history there.
Vandy area reminds me of hanging out in front of Tulane...
Belleview is really sweet as well.
Brentwood I love
But if Fairview is the "Worst" that happens to me "It's all up-hill, Baby"...


Oh, my sisters went to:
Ursuline Academy and Dominican...

Won't say anything too personal online but PM me if you want...

Best regards, DLS

We probably know each other...or someone in common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2007, 10:06 PM
 
43 posts, read 98,998 times
Reputation: 19
Smile Thanks so much!

Alleycat - were you able to find out anything from the families you knew? Do you know of any ex-New Orleanians in the Fairview or Bellevue area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2007, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
6,297 posts, read 15,017,816 times
Reputation: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumwunzma View Post
Alleycat - were you able to find out anything from the families you knew? Do you know of any ex-New Orleanians in the Fairview or Bellevue area?
Frankly, I had forgotten about this. I'll ask the two I work with tomorrow.

There is plenty of ex-New Orleanians around. Hundreds came up here after Katrina; many decided not to go back. From everything I've heard, the people who came here were taken care of and welcomed, even though many of them didn't have money or anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top