Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 06:08 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times

Advertisements

Flying to Nashville this afternoon, first time visitor. Would like to find some good local live rockabilly, blues, alternative tonight or Saturday; something along the lines of Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Asleep at the Wheel, Levon Helm. Not very familar with local talent but if anyone can recommend a venue for the weekend I greatly appreciate it, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 08:11 AM

3 posts, read 6,470 times
Default Full Moon Pickin' Party TONIGHT

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Friends of Warner Parks announces the third Full Moon Pickin’ Party of 2009 on Friday, July 10th. This fundraiser features Middle Tennessee’s finest bluegrass music under the light of a full moon. All of the monies raised from this laid-back affair will go directly back into the Parks to ensure preservation, protection, funding educational programs and special projects including camp-outs and hayrides for inner city kids.
Musicians and music fans alike are invited to the Steeplechase Barn at the Equestrian Center (2500 Old Hickory Blvd.) in Percy Warner Park on July 10th for great music.

FULL MOON PICKIN PARTY
Friday, July 10, 2009
7:00 –11:00 pm

Featuring:
ROCKY VALLEY REVUE
RUNAWAY FREIGHT
STOP GAP

$15 in advance, $20 at the door
Children 6 and under free, $10 for 7-15 year olds
Pickers with a BLUEGRASS instrument ~ $5

Tickets may be purchased online at Nowplayingnashville.com or by cash/check in our office or by mail.

Event is rain or shine.
Beverages included in the ticket price, adult admission includes up to 4 beers - Bands subject to change
Food from Off the Grill & Moosehead Kettle Corn available for purchase on-site.

Additional sponsorship
The Warner Company - Lightning 100 - DET Distributing – Parking Management
Coke- Vitamin Water – Metro Parks - Nashville Production House

The Friends of Warner Parks is an organization dedicated to the preservation and enjoyment of the Warner Parks.

For more information, handicap accommodations and other events, go to: www.FriendsOfWarnerParks.com or call 370-8053.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:20 AM

569 posts, read 1,424,672 times
Welcome !
I don't, specifically, know who is playing around town tonight, but I can give you a few recommendations on venues to check out for what you are looking for. There are TONS of places around town, so I'm just giving you some that I've been to. You might also want to look at the Nashville Scene online and check out their calendar....they also usually give a description of the shows. Lower Broadway has about 10-15 honkytonks....and usually, at least 2 or 3 have rockabilly bands. For blues, I would probably check out Bourbon Street Blues and Boogie Bar or BB Kings. Bouron Street is in Printers Alley off Church between 2nd and 3rd. BB Kings is on 2nd Ave. You might also want to see what's going on at the Basement, Mercy Lounge or the 5 Spot (which is in my hood over in East Nashville). Those venues tend to have an alternative tip...and by that, I mean it could be anything....but not country. I know I'm leaving out tons...but maybe this will give something to research before you get here. If you're not going to have a car, you'll do best sticking to downtown. There's more clubs in a closer area there. OH...also, the Nashville Rollergirls are at the fairgrounds saturday night at 7...but get there by 6 if you're interested. It's not music, but definately entertaining.
Have Fun !

Old 07-10-2009, 08:42 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
Hey, Thanks to both for the great ideas. Will try to make the Full Moon Picking event tonight. From the Baltimore area here and live bluegrass all but disappeared from here back in the early 80's so, any chance for live fiddle and banjo is a plus. Will explore lower broadway area Saturday. After a night of bluegrass, some blues or rockabilly would be great. thanks again!

Old 07-10-2009, 01:03 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,221 times
I know this isn't alt-country (definitly alt though) but Sonic Youth is in town this weekend -

Sonic Youth in Nashville at Nashville War Memorial - Eventful

Old 07-10-2009, 07:12 PM

150 posts, read 619,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
I know this isn't alt-country (definitly alt though) but Sonic Youth is in town this weekend -

Yes! We're hoping to hit this one after the roller derby tomorrow! Woo-hoo--parents' night out!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:22 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post

time they rethought the "youth" part - they're like 60 now aren't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville