Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 03:01 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,278,971 times

Advertisements

I've only lived here a little less than 2 years but don't remember the mosquitos being this bad last year. I sprayed with a bug spray but they bit me through my t-shirt and my back is covered in mosquito bites.

Some make a loud buzzing noise as they come at you. Believe me, I'm running! We have a fly swatter in the house and wet towels because when you smash them, blood comes out.

Is anyone else experiencing this. I live north of Nashville. I have dogs that go in and out during the day so I can't not open doors. I'm being bit even during the afternoon hours, not just early morning and late evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 03:21 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
It might be all the rain we've gotten has created more places for mosquitoes to lay their eggs and make more mosquitoes. You might take a walk around your area and make sure there's no standing water that mosquitoes can use.

I haven't really noticed them being that bad at my house.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:25 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,278,971 times
You're lucky. The homes in our development were built on acreage from a cow pasture. There is no water nearby. I guess it's from all the rain and the ground being damp. It's just a pain since I love going outside on my deck and enjoy playing ball with the dogs.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:41 PM

317 posts, read 1,230,731 times
Yes, it's a common thing here. Maybe you stayed in on some of the worst days last year, but it's a yearly summer occurrence. Some are big enough that they look like could carry you away. And yes, when they all get together, it's a scary loud sound that makes you want to run for shelter. Funny, I was actually just thinking that they didn't seem as bad this year yet.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:42 PM

All it takes is an open paint can filled with water, an old tire, a bucket holding water, or anything that can hold water and that will provide a comfy place for mosquitoes to lay their eggs.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:35 PM

100 posts, read 326,306 times
We are heading to TN the beginning of August and I "heard" that the mosquito repellent we use here in NY will not work on the mosquitoes in TN? Is this true? Something about there being tiger mosquitoes there?
We have a young child and we are looking for a home so we will be out and about quite a lot and I certainly do not want her to get bitten up. What do you suggest I use to protect her?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI2South View Post
We are heading to TN the beginning of August and I "heard" that the mosquito repellent we use here in NY will not work on the mosquitoes in TN? Is this true? Something about there being tiger mosquitoes there?
We have a young child and we are looking for a home so we will be out and about quite a lot and I certainly do not want her to get bitten up. What do you suggest I use to protect her?
I always hear recommendations for something with Det in it for here (but ask your doctor before using on very young children). I don't recall ever hearing anything especially suggested for tiger mosquitoes.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:46 AM

11 posts, read 24,757 times
West Nile virus was just confirmed in East Nashville from the mosquitoes, so do be cautious of any symptoms.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:53 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
I actually think they've not been as bad this year, but I, too, am in a new development and living in a new area. I've had a few bites but nothing like I used to at the old place in Mt. Juliet (lots of old growth trees).

I'm sure the mosquito repellent in NY will work here. You might buy some heavy strength stuff (Deep Woods Off for example) or anything with DEET in it just to be on the safe side. We also have these flea-like critters called chiggers that are really annoying and leave you with mosquito-like bites (I think they're worse than mosquito bites, personally). A heavier repellent will take care of them too. But you'll only run into chiggers if you're hiking in heavy forest or get into some vegetation. They're not going to get to you sitting on a patio or deck.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:42 AM

282 posts, read 806,587 times
I agree with what some others have said:

-Make sure you have no standing water around your property (even if it's small). That's just a breading ground for them.

-If you have a resess in your land where water collects, consider spraying it or getting some of that stuff (forgot the name) which is made to kill any eggs or whatnot in the water without making it toxic to kids/pets.

- Don't leave food outside, pick up dead carcasses (birds, mice, etc.), etc.

- Spray

- Use personal bug replants...

- Avoid being outside at dawn/dusk.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville