Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:31 PM

5 posts, read 13,217 times

Advertisements

My son who just graduated from college may be relocating to Nashville. He would like to live in a safe area where there are other single young adults and many things to do. Unfortunately, his budget will be limited, at least until he gets a bit settled. Are there any such areas or up and coming areas that may fit his needs? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 11:13 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
If I were him I'd start by looking around Midtown in some of the older apartments. It can be an expensive area, but it varies by the actually condo or apartment someone is renting. Midtown is a university area with Vanderbilt and Belmont Universities nearby so there are places that aren't so expensive in the area (not cheap, but not pricey either). Your son would probably fit in with the college crowd, plus the area is probably more politically and socially what your son is used to.

Another choice might be Bellevue; there's quite a few apartments and they might not be out of his range. There's reasonably nice places to live all around town; someone just has to use good judgment in some of the areas. If it looks a little run-down or creepy, it probably is.

A good choice for him might be to find a roommate. That way he could live in a nicer, possibly more convenient area, until he gets settled and starts making some money.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:42 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. It is very hard when you do not know the area. He was actually thinking of finding a roommate or even renting a room in a house.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:20 AM

Does he have any idea where he's going to be working? What field is he in?

Old 07-06-2007, 08:46 AM

He is trying to get a job with a radio station in Nashville. He is a journalism/communication major.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:31 AM

12 posts, read 47,980 times
I currently live in chicago and have for the last 5 years. My husband and I will be moving back to N'ville soon,, but I agree with what alleycat said. Belmont and Vanderbilt areas would be a good choice. Those two areas mimic the Chicago lifestyles the most. There are people out and about at all times of the day and you can walk a lot of places. It will be a big adjustment, but youing people can adapt so easy! My husband and I are still "party people" (no kids) (34ys old) and the adjustment will be a tough one,, but we have lived in Chicago long enough to know that you can get a lot more for your $$ in N'ville!

A good place to look for apartments/houses and or rooms to rent is craigslist.com. I have also seen a lot of "roomate wanted" postings as well.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:58 AM

Just be carefull with good, ol' Craigslist. It can be helpful, but it's also full of scam artists. "I've found the perfect apartment for us . . . they just need the deposit and first months rent . . . so send me $600 (by Western Union, no doubt) and I'll take care of it!"

I'd still suggest looking around Midtown first. That would be a reasonably convenient area no matter where he ended up working. And if he can come and look before the start of the school year, he might be able to find something readily available in that area. He needs to do it quickly though, the college students will be looking in a few more weeks.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:22 PM

I have been looking on Craigs list. Im not sure of areas though. I have seen Belmont and "Vandy" listed, but is there another name for Midtown, as I have not seen that. Thanks again.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujean18 View Post
I have been looking on Craigs list. Im not sure of areas though. I have seen Belmont and "Vandy" listed, but is there another name for Midtown, as I have not seen that. Thanks again.
Belmont or Vandy will be the Midtown area. They might even call it the West End area (West End and 21st Ave are the main streets in that area).

If you find a listing and you're not sure where it is, post it and I'll quickly look it up as soon as I see your post. A Google map is also good for that . . . just go to Google and type in: "Nashville Tn map" and then enter the street address in the small window beside the Google listing.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:04 PM

You have been so helpful, thank you so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: