U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-20-2009, 02:39 PM
 
Location: OH->FL->NJ
2,741 posts, read 3,829,637 times
Reputation: 917
Default Brentwood/Franklin vs Thompson Station/ Spring Hill

(Henceforth Brentwood/Franklin is BW/F and Thompson Station/ Spring Hill is TS/SH.)

Welp made it through 2 interviews awaiting the 3rd and its looking that there is a distinct possibility (40% and rising) of moving to Nashville area.

Job is in extreme southern end of Brentwood near 65.

I have read almost dire warnings (some here, others elsewhere) that only BW/F is the only good choice and TS/SH are almost a bunch of cousin marrying uneducated hillbillies. Im reading these reviews in almost disbelief as I dont see it statistically... But then again not all is as it appears at first. I realize BW/F are highly likely to have the most uber schools simply given basic demographics. I check out the statistics and there seems to be a good case for Thompson Station and Spring Hill; especially the Williamson Co side of SH.

Commute. Obviously BW/F is closer, but quite frankly, I currently live in NJ and would probably find what Tennesee calls traffic jams amusing. I time shift my day early anyway. I got up at 445AM and was out the door by 505AM. My NJ commute was 48 miles EACH WAY.

Schools. I have a 3 y/o and a 5 y/o that is going to start Kindergarten.

Really it looks like a better split is to consider the Williamson side of SH the same or nearly as TS then consider SH Maury side separately.

Brentwood/ Frankin 10s with just a few 9s or 8s topto bottom.

High
TS/SH-Williamson, Independence, Greatschools 10
SH-Maury, SH High, Greatschools 4 and its in Columbia???

Middle
SH/TS Williamson, Heritage, Greatschools 10
SH Maury, EA Cox, Greatschools 6

Elementary
TS -?
SH Williamson, Chapman Retreat Greatschools 8
SH Maury, SH Elementary, Gratschools 6? Theres a bunch of them.

What is with the spring hill schools Maury having Columbia addresses? I get it that Columbia has crime problems. Statistics bear that out.

Independence seems to rate near Brentwood in Greatschools. Brentwood might be a better 10, but that difference almost seems more for the IB chasing crowd.

Crime. Brentwood appears to have a smothering police force. Typical of the demographics.
Franklin appears similar though less so.
SH/TS. I could not find crime for TS. I could find it for SH. It is higher than BW/F, but appears below average and typical suburban non violent.

Shopping.
I need a (preferably Super)Walmart, a couple grocery stores, a Target, a HD or Lowes and a Bed Bath and Beyond (to keep the wife happy). I get in, buy my stuff, and leave.

All locations seem to offer this. Brentwood seems to offer more variety of stores, but a Coach store, is of zero utility to us.

Cable TV. Looks like Williamson is Comcast and Maury is Charter. Looks like Maury gets an outright win on this one.

Natural gas. Williamson vs Maury. Is one more expensive?

Electric. Williamson vs Maury. Is one more expensive?

OK. What am I missing to cause such dire warnings about TS/SH? The 2800 SF 4 bedroom single family in TS/SH is one heck of alot more tempting than the small Brentwood condo. Dont care if its a tract house off a standard building plan as long as its nice.

With a budget of 250K the TS/Sh house is DRASTICALLY nicer than the BW/F condo at that budget. I cant do 350K. I dont do kamikaze mortgages.

The overall goal is a decent end outcome for my kids at age 18, no 1979 Trans-Ams on blocks on the lawn next door, and not being shot by a neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2009, 11:05 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,869 posts, read 5,830,042 times
Reputation: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
(Henceforth Brentwood/Franklin is BW/F and Thompson Station/ Spring Hill is TS/SH.)

Welp made it through 2 interviews awaiting the 3rd and its looking that there is a distinct possibility (40% and rising) of moving to Nashville area.

Job is in extreme southern end of Brentwood near 65.

I have read almost dire warnings (some here, others elsewhere) that only BW/F is the only good choice and TS/SH are almost a bunch of cousin marrying uneducated hillbillies. Im reading these reviews in almost disbelief as I dont see it statistically... But then again not all is as it appears at first. I realize BW/F are highly likely to have the most uber schools simply given basic demographics. I check out the statistics and there seems to be a good case for Thompson Station and Spring Hill; especially the Williamson Co side of SH.

Commute. Obviously BW/F is closer, but quite frankly, I currently live in NJ and would probably find what Tennesee calls traffic jams amusing. I time shift my day early anyway. I got up at 445AM and was out the door by 505AM. My NJ commute was 48 miles EACH WAY.

Schools. I have a 3 y/o and a 5 y/o that is going to start Kindergarten.

Really it looks like a better split is to consider the Williamson side of SH the same or nearly as TS then consider SH Maury side separately.

Brentwood/ Frankin 10s with just a few 9s or 8s topto bottom.

High
TS/SH-Williamson, Independence, Greatschools 10
SH-Maury, SH High, Greatschools 4 and its in Columbia???

Middle
SH/TS Williamson, Heritage, Greatschools 10
SH Maury, EA Cox, Greatschools 6

Elementary
TS -?
SH Williamson, Chapman Retreat Greatschools 8
SH Maury, SH Elementary, Gratschools 6? Theres a bunch of them.

What is with the spring hill schools Maury having Columbia addresses? I get it that Columbia has crime problems. Statistics bear that out.

Independence seems to rate near Brentwood in Greatschools. Brentwood might be a better 10, but that difference almost seems more for the IB chasing crowd.

Crime. Brentwood appears to have a smothering police force. Typical of the demographics.
Franklin appears similar though less so.
SH/TS. I could not find crime for TS. I could find it for SH. It is higher than BW/F, but appears below average and typical suburban non violent.

Shopping.
I need a (preferably Super)Walmart, a couple grocery stores, a Target, a HD or Lowes and a Bed Bath and Beyond (to keep the wife happy). I get in, buy my stuff, and leave.

All locations seem to offer this. Brentwood seems to offer more variety of stores, but a Coach store, is of zero utility to us.

Cable TV. Looks like Williamson is Comcast and Maury is Charter. Looks like Maury gets an outright win on this one.

Natural gas. Williamson vs Maury. Is one more expensive?

Electric. Williamson vs Maury. Is one more expensive?

OK. What am I missing to cause such dire warnings about TS/SH? The 2800 SF 4 bedroom single family in TS/SH is one heck of alot more tempting than the small Brentwood condo. Dont care if its a tract house off a standard building plan as long as its nice.

With a budget of 250K the TS/Sh house is DRASTICALLY nicer than the BW/F condo at that budget. I cant do 350K. I dont do kamikaze mortgages.

The overall goal is a decent end outcome for my kids at age 18, no 1979 Trans-Ams on blocks on the lawn next door, and not being shot by a neighbor.

You will reconize my name from the NJ board. I'm laughing about cars on the grass because mosy subdivisions here have a Homeowners assoc , and that would be a no-no. As far as Hillybillys, lol, a lot here are from all different states. Lots from Calif., Florida..NY, NJ
In Your price range, I would recommend either Spring Hill or Thompson station. You do want Williamson County Schools. You probably can find homes in Fieldstone Farms in that price range in Franklin. Brentwood/ Williamson county forget about it at that price range. Some of Brentwood is in Davidson County,but even that is higher.
As far as Electric and Gas, the rate is much lower here than NJ, because of the TVA(Look that up if you don't remember it from history class-My Major)
The highest I pay is $235 for elec on a 4500sq house. I'm in Nashville 1/4 mile from Brentwood Border. If you need a realtor you can Dm me.
Today, is my 3 year Anniversary here, and the best decision we have made in our lives.
As for those Stores, I happened to take a ride to Spring Hill Today. I went down Saturn Pky. All those stores were there, and as I followed the road there was a new kROGER/marketplace. It was like Wegmans but more as it sold Furniture and Housewares besides the food, and food bars.That was in Thompson Station, but bordering Sh.
There is also the Cool Springs Mall not far which has all the major stores. Plenty of Restaurants, and I heard Joey's House of Pizza opened one in SH. he has one in Brentwood also. They are from Brooklyn, and there is no doubt they are lol, if you know what I mean.

Diane G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2009, 11:15 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,869 posts, read 5,830,042 times
Reputation: 613
Also, All Walmarts here are Superwalmarts, and the Target in SH is a Super Target.
The Crossings of Spring Hill, Tennessee. Spring Hill's Favorite Shopping, Dining, & Entertainment Destination.

Kroger Takes on General Merchandise, Wal-Mart with Marketplace Stores | BNET Retail Blog | BNET


Diane G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 09:59 AM
 
Location: OH->FL->NJ
2,741 posts, read 3,829,637 times
Reputation: 917
Thanks for the reply. Repped ya.

>You will reconize my name from the NJ board.<

Of course. Friends of Wiley FTW.

>laughing about cars on the grass because mos(t) subdivisions here have a Homeowners assoc , and that would be a no-no.<

Pretty much if they do have HOAs as you say. As long as they arent the crazies disallowing crippled marines from flying a flag. OOH, I want an HOA to go nuclear on some guy who paints his house Ireland Green. But does allow the Marine his flag. He paid for it in many ways and then some.

>..it from history class-My Major< Missed a minor in history by 1 class. European was my area. Im one of those wierdos who knows what the 30 years war actually was. I also know the TVA.

>They are from Brooklyn, and there is no doubt they are lol, if you know what I mean.<
They walk 500 miles an hour, answer questions sarcastically, and every 3rd word starts with F and has 4 letters? (or 7 if it ends in "ing")?? :P~~~~

Basically you are saying they are decent areas. 4500 SF LOL what would I do with that much space? I run out of uses at about 12 rooms and kids dont need 20x15 bedrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Florida
2,301 posts, read 3,959,016 times
Reputation: 2241
I would be very careful about purchasing a home in Spring Hill given the up-in-the-air status of the Saturn plant. Thompson's Station is a safer investment, and Brentwood would be even better if you can stand having less square footage for the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 11:16 AM
 
1,632 posts, read 2,214,636 times
Reputation: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
I would be very careful about purchasing a home in Spring Hill given the up-in-the-air status of the Saturn plant. Thompson's Station is a safer investment, and Brentwood would be even better if you can stand having less square footage for the money.
might be the first time I agree with Pimpy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Nashville
164 posts, read 349,641 times
Reputation: 31
Good research. Follow those numbers and the recent sales activity to safer spends, as well as neighborhoods. You will see your dollar go further than it has for years, and if you like what you see - it may have a greater upside for your investment (perhaps indicating its the right time to spend $250,000 in Franklin vs. Spring Hill / Thompson Station). Heading into this winter, it may turn out to be the best time to buy in more than a decade.

Neighborhoods like Clairmonte, Fieldstone Farms, Franklin Green, Keegan’s Glen, Riverview Park, Royal Oaks… have 2,500 square foot houses for you to choose from, and nearly all sit on the way to/from a Publix or Kroger shopping center.

There is about 5.5 months of inventory in Franklin between $225,000-$275,000, so a fairly balanced market. Seems to indicate that the buyers in our marketplace are taking advantage of a good time to buy in the most desirable areas; for less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,869 posts, read 5,830,042 times
Reputation: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpellatiro View Post
Good research. Follow those numbers and the recent sales activity to safer spends, as well as neighborhoods. You will see your dollar go further than it has for years, and if you like what you see - it may have a greater upside for your investment (perhaps indicating its the right time to spend $250,000 in Franklin vs. Spring Hill / Thompson Station). Heading into this winter, it may turn out to be the best time to buy in more than a decade.

Neighborhoods like Clairmonte, Fieldstone Farms, Franklin Green, Keegan’s Glen, Riverview Park, Royal Oaks… have 2,500 square foot houses for you to choose from, and nearly all sit on the way to/from a Publix or Kroger shopping center.

There is about 5.5 months of inventory in Franklin between $225,000-$275,000, so a fairly balanced market. Seems to indicate that the buyers in our marketplace are taking advantage of a good time to buy in the most desirable areas; for less.
I agree, would go with Franklin Vs Spring Hill, It;ts more convienent. I don't think you would find much at all in Brentwood for $250, 000 or nothing that does not need a lot of work, but Franklin you surely could.

Diane G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 07:41 PM
 
3,628 posts, read 6,368,450 times
Reputation: 1931
Spring Hill HS is just barely over the Columbia city line.

but i would avoid Maury schools like the plague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2009, 09:23 AM
 
Location: North Texas
274 posts, read 426,732 times
Reputation: 99
Wow...I have been looking at Thompson's Station because I can get the type of home I am looking for easier than I could in Franklin. Didn't realize it was so "hillbilly". Is it really that bad? And what's wrong with hillbilly's anyways?? lol I just could not afford a newer home with updated features in Franklin...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top