Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 03:37 PM

10 posts, read 21,161 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a single female in mid-twenties from the suburbs of Mpls. As much as I absolutely love MN, I am looking for a change, even if temporary. I have recently been looking to relocate to L.A. through a job transfer, but then I stumbled upon Nashville. I noticed that the cost of renting is less than Mpls in some cases. Right now I'm paying $600/mo for a decent but bland apt. just outside of Minneapolis. I noticed that I could actually probably afford a lot nicer one in the Nashville area for about the same, if not cheaper. I've been researching the cities of Mount Juliet, Hendersonville, Franklin, and Goodlettsville. I know every major city has its own uniqueness and whatnot. I guess, now looking at Nashville more, I've come to realize that maybe choosing it over L.A. wouldn't be so bad. Fortunately my company is all over, thus Nashville is a choice. I am just wondering how the 2 cities compare to each other. Anything I should be concerned about w/in the Nashville area? Any places you'd recommend living? Anyone from L.A. that moved to Nashville, that could give some insight as well? Thank you,

P.S. I apologize for the long post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 08:56 PM

14 posts, read 48,672 times
Move into Davidson County. The surrounding cities you named are extremely boring for a single woman in her mid 20's. You can find decent apts in Hermitage,Antioch,and Bellevue for 600 a month.
Hermitage-Quick Interstate ride down 40 into downtown,as well as a lot of new restaraunts,stores,etc. opening up out there.
Antioch-Quick interstate ride down 24 into downtown,despite what some say,its not that bad either (i lived in antioch) if you stay around crossings blvd. or mt.view rd. Bell Rd. is a traffic Nightmare
Bellevue-sucks,but affordable apts.,relatively quick drive into downtown.

My answer was kind of vague,but if yo would like a more detailed rundown,I can answer any more detailed questions yo have on private msg/email (ask4about2me@gmail.com)

Old 07-29-2009, 08:53 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ask4about2me View Post
Move into Davidson County. The surrounding cities you named are extremely boring for a single woman in her mid 20's. You can find decent apts in Hermitage,Antioch,and Bellevue for 600 a month.
Hermitage-Quick Interstate ride down 40 into downtown,as well as a lot of new restaraunts,stores,etc. opening up out there.
Antioch-Quick interstate ride down 24 into downtown,despite what some say,its not that bad either (i lived in antioch) if you stay around crossings blvd. or mt.view rd. Bell Rd. is a traffic Nightmare
Bellevue-sucks,but affordable apts.,relatively quick drive into downtown.
Well, I respectfully disagree that the other parts of town that the OP mentioned are "extremely boring". While they might not offer the nightlife that downtown Nashville does, the other areas listed above (Hermitage, Antioch, Bellevue) don't either and all are about the same commute time to downtown as Mt. Juliet, Hendersonville are. As for the pros/cons of Antioch...well that horse has been beaten plenty on this forum.

I've lived in Mt. Juliet and Hendersonville and both are growing rapidly. Lots of good shopping, quality neighborhoods, and good restaurants (Hendersonville moreso than MtJ). Both are convenient to the interstate and are about 30 minute commutes during rush hour to Nashville.

As far as rent goes, $600 a month in Hendersonville will get you a decent place, but nothing spectacular. There are a lot of condos in Hendersonville, so it pays to look around and see what's out there. The luxury apartments we looked at living at temporarily were in the neighborhood of $1,000/month for 900-1100 sq ft.

Finally, as someone who lives in the land of 10,000 lakes, both Hendersonville and Mt. Juliet have access to large lakes. If that's your thing or whatever.

You'll love the weather down here. While it gets stifling sometimes in the summer, the winters are a breeze compared to MN. You'll actually laugh at how we overreact to snow here.

I would definitely consider all of the areas you mentioned originally. You might also look at the West End/Vanderbilt and Green Hills area...but the rent there will probably be pretty steep. But those areas are great for younger singles.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:03 PM

10 posts, read 21,161 times
Thank you for the replies. I'm still very much-so interested in all the cities that I first listed, but open to consider others. I've been looking online at a bunch of apartments and townhomes for rent and found quite a few nice ones that are in the towns I'm looking at. Granted its hard to really tell when you can't physically stop by to look. I'm still slightly considering L.A. but I don't think I can live without the 4 seasons. That's always been one of the reasons I like MN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville