Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 07:10 AM

34 posts, read 142,792 times

Advertisements

Hello-
We are relocating from Minneapolis to Nashville in July. The few people I have talked to who have lived in Nashville (but now live in Minneapolis) mentioned that we should be ready for a real culture shock upon moving down there, but never could be too specific as to what that meant. Is there anyone on this forum from the mid-west who can tell me what is so different down there? I just want to be prepared! Thanks!

Old 04-23-2007, 09:41 AM

32 posts, read 135,071 times
I'm from the northeast, and I was in culture shock! It's the over whelming religion! Super right wing evangelical conservatives. If you're not used to that, then you will see, fast. If you are used to it, then I would say you're not in for much change.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:55 AM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Baker View Post
I'm from the northeast, and I was in culture shock! It's the over whelming religion! Super right wing evangelical conservatives. If you're not used to that, then you will see, fast. If you are used to it, then I would say you're not in for much change.
Thanks! I'm not used to it! This is kind of what I guessed. Are people pushy about religion and is there room for those of us that aren't religious?

Nashville has a democrat majority, I would think this would make it a fairly liberal city???

Any imput is appreciated!

Old 04-23-2007, 10:01 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
This is just a generalization, so please accept it as just that: the cities and towns, themselves, in the South may be liberal, vote democratically, and be vital, exciting places to live--however, on roads, and in other public areas, you will see many references to religious thought, much of which you'd be unlikely to see in MN.

I don't think the residents will be intolerant of those that are less religious, but I myself would have a hard time adjusting to the sign-age!

Old 04-23-2007, 10:15 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,856 times
Why are so many people who move here from other states so scared of religion? I lived in NY for 3 years and if you want to talk about religion, EVERYONE there was religions. Jewish, Catholic, Christian, Hindu, and 7th day adventists were of just a few that I would meet all the time. I lived in a traditional Jewish neighborhood even though I am by birth protestant. Was it different? yes. Was it shocking? No, actually it was interesting. religion is religion. Some find that politics is their religion and preach it's gospel to no end. Ever see all those cute bumper stickers lefties love to paste on their VW's? What about the right wingers and all those workin' man hero stickers on their Chevy?

Yes- it'll be different. It will only be shocking if you come expecting people to change and look for the bad.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:23 AM

I have no problem with religion, I guess it's more the politics that often come with conservative religious groups. I'm pro gay marriage, pro-choice, anti-death pennalty, etc., and so are most everyone I know in Minneapolis. I just hope that there is a place for me there as far as my politics AND the fact that I am agnostic.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:41 AM

I'm agnostic too, and I have been told by a current teacher of a neighboring county, that I will not get a teaching job there if I tell them I am agnostic. She was told by the a superior that they are trying to get all christian teachers. She then said that "Where do you go to church?" was one of the first things asked in her interview! That's just what I heard. But I'm going to keep my mouth shut about my beliefs or lack there of.

I'm not scared of religion either. I think it is a wonderful thing for many. The thing that is different about religious people down here (and yes, I am aware I am generalizing - not everyone) is that they are closed minded. Very closed minded. If you stay within Davidson County, it will be better. FYI, TN overwhelmingly passed a constitutional ammendment against gay marriage last fall.

Are people pushy? Some are, some aren't. A Hindu friend I work with was given unsolicited X-mas decorations by religious co-workers so she could decorate her office. I was in a co-workers office talking about a medical condition once. She said to close the door, so we could pray. I told her I didn't want to, and she snipped at me. It made me very uncomfortable.

For the most part though, if you tell them to leave you alone, they will.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:44 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,856 times
All I have to say to people to a new place is that if you are choosing to do so, expect to make concessions and exceptions to what you previously knew as everyday pedestrian and accepted from wherever you came from. I grew up in rural TN and have lived in the Bay Area. That says something about cultural change. If I can do it, anyone can.

My general opinion is that most urban areas are fairly "liberal" compared to more rural areas. So while Nashville might not be as liberal as say- Minneapolis, it is liberal-esque in it's own right.You will see people who are conservative. But if you do- what is that going to do to YOU personally? Actually, I feel that Nashville is very laid back and lacks the level of obnoxiousness I've experienced in the cities I've lived in so far. So you might love it. if not, you can always move back to Minneapolis.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:01 AM

Oh, don't get me wrong. I LOVE Nashville. But it was a little culture shocking.

I agree w/ Silverbox's comments.

I am from very rural area growing up too, and I think that is why I like Nashville. You have all the benefits of living in a city, but it somehow still feels somewhat rural. I like that. It's not like NYC or Atlanta, where you just get engulfed w/ the "cityness" (If that makes sense?)

Old 04-23-2007, 11:58 AM

Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville