Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 40,122 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently moved to Nashville and am searching out dog friendly bodies of water for my 10-month old lab to enjoy. I've been to Centennial and Shelby dog park, which are great, but in this heat I'd also like to find a place for him to swim.

I live in the Midtown area, but don't mind driving a bit. Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 06:58 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
Radnor Lake would be perfect, but I don't think dogs are allowed off leash.

Your best bet might be one of the big lakes like Priest.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:53 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,584 times
Radnor Lake doesn't allow dogs on the trails, in the lake, or off leash. You can only have a dog on leash on the paved road or on the dam road. You may want to try the larger lakes(Percy Priest, Old Hickory) or the rivers and creeks in the area.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 40,122 times
Thanks. I'll have to check out Percy Priest lake soon.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:54 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
You might also check out Marrowbone Lake in Joelton. From where you are you can get there in 20 minutes during non-rush hour traffic. It's much smaller than Priest, but it's still a good-sized body of water.

I don't know the dog regulations at Marrowbone; that would be something you would have to look up.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:15 PM

97 posts, read 271,798 times
There is a boat launching ramp into the Cumberland River in Shelby Park, on the road along the river, just before the railroad bridge. I recently saw someone with a lab swimming there. The current can be strong, so use caution, but it might be okay when the river isn't running fast.

The water at Percy Priest Lake is a lot cleaner.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 17,646 times
The only dog friendly spot that I have gone with my dogs is at Edwin Warner Park, picnic areas entrance off Vaughn Rd. If you go down just past parking area #5 on the left, you will see a small parking annex. That's where I go and it's really nice. Almost like a beach. I swim in the water with my dogs - it's on the Harpeth River.
I can confirm comments above, no dogs off leash at Radnor - nor on walking trails. But, you can walk on trails at Edwin Warner park and go for a swim at the end to cool 'em down.
Regarding Percy Priest lake, no dogs in the common park area off leash. However, if you go to the Volunteer Trail head, you can hike to the lake (no more than 1 mile) and rarely to I run into anyone on that trail - it's on the opposite side from the people, so dogs can swim without disturbing anyone.
Because I live down in Spring Hill, I haven't ventured north of the city. But, I bet there are other wonderful places up there. Maybe even near Ashland City?
One new park, which some doggie friendly friends have told me about, is Cummins Falls, 2 hrs east of Nashville. It's recently opened to public. Big swimming hole, waterfall and dogs galore.
Let me know if you find any other cool spots!

Old 07-05-2012, 10:52 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,986,369 times
Bryant's Grove on Percy Priest lake allowed dogs the last time I was there. That may have changed but it was a nice place to take our dogs before they finally went to Rainbow Bridge. I don't know of any place in the Nashville area or surrounding areas that allow dogs off the leash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville