Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 11:44 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times

Advertisements

Leyland cypress, arborvitae, poplar...anything really that will grow like a weed - I need to fill almost an acre with greenery and am determined to shrink the size of my lawn - I would like to put in a field of poppiestype rear yard-au natural as it were - tired of lawn maintenace and am into reducing carbon footprint...doesn't the state sell trees? thanks!

I will come and dig them up if you want to get rid of bushes or trees...even foreclosed trees!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 12:52 AM

634 posts, read 1,419,409 times
Here in DeKalb, and also Warren county there are plenty of nurseries.

On my 14'th birthday, my dad planted a hybrid poplar in his front yard. It was about 4 feet tall and about as round as a quarter when planted. Just the other day dad and I were talking about that very tree as it's now at least 70 feet tall and is better than 26'' across. It can now take out his house if it were to get blown down. I told him seeing the size of that tree makes me feel old and he said, '' yeah son, your now 40, but remember .. your only half my age ''.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:40 AM

18 posts, read 56,756 times
We just bought several trees at the flea market in Lebannon. They are about $15 to $20. The only issue is whether they will have the specific trees you are looking for. They change every weekend.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:54 PM

71 posts, read 202,445 times
I bought six river burch clump trees off ebay about 3 years ago for maybe 40 bucks. They were about as thick as a pencil and maybe 24 inches long. I planted them in a couple clumps and they sat in the ground the first year and didnt do much. The second year they creeped up to about double size like a very small bush... Now in year three this spring they just BOLTED up and are about 18 feet tall and 10 fee wide. I pruned them up about 4 feet from the ground and they no longer look like a big bush but look like small trees now. They are really growing fast.... especially with all this rain we have been having helps. Love the peeling bark too.. neat tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville