Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 03:18 AM

94 posts, read 210,906 times

Advertisements

First of all, Hi everyone. I'm not from Tennessee. Well anyways, Soon I'll be just passing thru, to Tontitown, AR. Driving from Virginia Beach, VA. Either way, it will be a 20 hours drive. (1,260 miles)

Anyways, my question is this. Since Nashville is about half-way to my destination. What kinds of rest stops, hotels, motels, truck stops are there in Tennessee? Close to I-40, Hwy 155, or US-70W. Please, anything is helpful.

Internet does not tell anything that I need to know. Hopefully, this could help me. It will be a long journey (maybe not that long.) Personally, there's a trucking career in AR I'm trying to get into and since I am still making preparations. Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 05:37 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
I-40 is well traveled, so you can find just about anything you need along that route.

If you plan on staying overnight somewhere near Nashville, there's any number of motels that would serve the purpose along I-40. If you want specific recommendation of places to stay on the west side of Nashville along I-40, let me know. That's the part of town I live in. There are places on the east side (before getting to downtown Nashville) as well, but I don't know them well enough to give a recommendation. About the only area I would warn you away from is along Murfreesboro Road where I-40 merges with I-24; that are a few places near that area that you would probably want to avoid.

It would be better if you could plan to avoid hitting Nashville at rush hour (7:00-8:30 am and 4:30 to 6:00 pm CDT). Sometimes you would be able to sail right through town, but on other days, particularly during bad weather or if there's an accident, it could slow your journey.

By the way, it's not a bad trip from Knoxville to Nashville and then to Memphis, but it probably will seem like Tennessee is as big as California going in that direction. It would take you several hours to traverse the whole state.

I wish you a safe and happy trip through Tennessee.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:49 AM

Not to mention I've been to California a few times, used to haul loads there. I were a truck driver before. It will take me atleast 10 hours to get to Nashville. Most likely the rush hour should be gone by the time I get there. I am planning on leaving Virginia before 11am. Should arrive by Nashville 9pm-10pm.

What is your recommendation of places on the west side of Nashville?

Old 08-15-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterbilt379 View Post
Not to mention I've been to California a few times, used to haul loads there. I were a truck driver before. It will take me atleast 10 hours to get to Nashville. Most likely the rush hour should be gone by the time I get there. I am planning on leaving Virginia before 11am. Should arrive by Nashville 9pm-10pm.

What is your recommendation of places on the west side of Nashville?
You might expect a few miles of slow traffic after getting past downtown on I-40 due to road construction at night. It shouldn't be too bad however, and the construction is for a relatively short stretch of the highway.

Just about any of the motels along I-40 past the Charlotte Pike exit (201) would be alright. You might consider the Hallmark Inn or Super 8 or Howard Johnson near exit 201, or the Micotel Inn or Hampton Inn off of the Bellevue exit (196). There's a few restaurants (most of the chain variety) around each of these areas.

If you stayed on the west side of town, the next day you would have a straight shot to Memphis without having to worry too much about local traffic. Most of the morning traffic is coming in, you would be going out.

By the way, noticing your username, did you know Peterbilts are built right here in Nashville? Well, they are when the plant is not on strike, that is.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:51 PM

Peterbilts are my kind of bigrigs. Hopefully in 3 years or so, I will definitely buy one. Just only use it in truck shows. Since we are on the topic, Are there any trucking companies in or near Nashville that you can think of?

Actually, I didn't know Peterbilts are built there. Learn something new everyday. I'm looking foward to this trip, Thank you for helping me.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:10 PM

Because of its centralized location, Nashville is something of a distribution center, so many trucking companies have operations in Nashville (as do companies like UPS). I'm not actually sure how many have headquarters here. Averitt's main office is in Cookeville, TN, which you will go past on your way from Knoxville to Nashville.

With three major Interstate highways (I-40, I-24, I-65) converging in Nashville, there are A LOT of trucks that come through Nashville.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:48 PM

957 posts, read 3,698,765 times
Quote:

Actually, I didn't know Peterbilts are built there. Learn something new everyday. I'm looking foward to this trip, Thank you for helping me.
I don't think there's much going on at the Peterbilt plant. They have been on strike for almost a year. Looks like just a skeleton crew actually working.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
I don't think there's much going on at the Peterbilt plant. They have been on strike for almost a year. Looks like just a skeleton crew actually working.
Seems like they're always on strike. That's why I mentioned it in my post above.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:13 AM

It is ashame, because Peterbilts the the best trucks in the world, just to my intensions. My favorite, are the older styles with 2-smoke stacks, cat engines with 10 speeds-manual stick shifts.

When I do arrive to Nashville, When does the Country Stars Hall Of Fame Museum usually opens and closes? Like to explore it, while I'm over there. Just for a quick browse.

With the economy the way it is, most people are going on strike. Something needs to change soon.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
When I do arrive to Nashville, When does the Country Stars Hall Of Fame Museum usually opens and closes? Like to explore it, while I'm over there. Just for a quick browse.
9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Remember that we're on Central Time here in Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville