Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:52 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowes View Post
it does Kim thank you, I had seen that website, just couldn't get much out of it, since I am not a recipient, but the building looks beautiful. Normally when I go to see a city I go to the library.....I don't know, I just think the library makes the city. I am not THAT big of a reader but when I do want to read something I would like to be able to find it in the local library, instead of having to buy it.

I kind of thought with the boro being a college town that there would be some privately owned used bookstore/coffeeshops in the area. Of course you have to frequent them to know them,right? LOL

Again thank you so much for your input, you are a great asset to this message board.
the boro is not that kind of a college town - you could drive thru it for years and not realize its a college town..not like the college towns in Upstate NY or NH, etc..it needs more of that imo.. and more bookstores but alas the world is not going that way..go buy a kindle instead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
There's also McKay's for used books and DVDs in Nashville. I'm not sure whether there's one in Murfreesboro or not. An old Nashville tradition is Elder's Bookstore for used books. I don't go over there as I once did (blame Amazon), but I used to while away a Saturday morning there from time to time back years ago.

And, if you happen to find that the library in Murfreesboro isn't enough (it probably is), you can pay a yearly fee and use the Nashville Public Library.
I personally would not drive 40 minutes in egregious traffic to hang out at the library in Nashville which kind of defeats the purpose..It has cut its hours anyway...
IOur library clearly needs more adult activities versus the- mostly kiddie stuff - good to hear about the mtsu library

what about for writer friendly hangouts for writers? there must be someplace more serious to meet writers besides a B&N book signing?

this is also somewhat unrelated but does anyone else wonder about the number of germs on books? seriously - think about how many hands have been on that book where we are all so paranoid about hand washing..for all we know that book just left the local hospital where the dying guy with sars was the last person touching it...think about it- not so extreme...

Last edited by 12buttons; 08-17-2009 at 03:08 AM.. Reason: post

Old 08-17-2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
There are several non-chain coffee shope in the Boro, most located near the university. I know of at least 2 used bookstores that I have personally been to and I'm sure there are more if you look around. The Murfreesboro Library is undersized for our population and they are planning on adding new branches in the future as the economy allows. However, we do have a pretty good selection and you can check availability and place holds on your selections online for all the branches in the Linebaugh Library system.
can you rent dvd and vids form the library? and when do they have their big annual sale? can't find it online...I got spoiled in CT - the libraries there were always holding big sales, flea markets. brown bag book events, etc.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:04 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
I personally would not drive 40 minutes in egregious traffic to hang out at the library in Nashville which kind of defeats the purpose...
It was an idea for the original poster. If it was of no interest to him/her (or you), that's fine with me, I was just pointing out the option. I know people from surrounding counties who actually do sign up to use the Nashville library, especially for the greater selection of DVDs and books-on-tape, as well as a significantly larger selection of books.

And personally, I think the Nashville Public Library is one of the better ones in the country. JMHO

Last edited by alleycat; 08-17-2009 at 04:14 AM..

Old 08-17-2009, 09:09 AM

764 posts, read 2,549,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
can you rent dvd and vids form the library? and when do they have their big annual sale? can't find it online...I got spoiled in CT - the libraries there were always holding big sales, flea markets. brown bag book events, etc.
Absolutely, although the DVD selection is a bit lacking, IMHO. You may only borrow DVD/video/books on tape for 1 week with no online renewal/extension in the Linebaugh system. Late fees for those items are $1 per day - not that I know that first hand or anything...

As far as sales go, I've never paid attention to the timing of them. The Smyrna branch always has several tables full of books and other items for sale.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:05 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Murfreesboro's public library is pretty nice. I haven't been in a while, but they used to have a "local history" room which was very interesting. And if that's not enough, the MTSU library is quite large. In fact, I was going say "huge" but I guess there are other libraries in the country that are even larger. To me it seems gigantic!

For used books there is the Boro Book Warehouse:

Google Maps

Their building was damaged in the first smaller tornado we had back in March, and I'm not sure if they've reopened yet. There is also Book Liquidators on Memorial Blvd, next to the Chamber of Commerce. And if that's not enough, most antique stores around here have plenty of old books. The problem is, they're not organized in any particular order. So be prepared to stay a while.

As far as places to hang out, drink coffee, and read, I can't help you much. I don't drink coffee and I have a hard time reading if other people are around. There used to be a neat little coffee shop just down the street from me, but it's no longer in business.

(I just did a search on Google Maps for "Murfreesboro, TN coffee shops" and several came up. One up on the square, which would probably be a great place to relax and enjoy a book.)

Old 08-23-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Murfreesboro's public library is pretty nice. I haven't been in a while, but they used to have a "local history" room which was very interesting. And if that's not enough, the MTSU library is quite large. In fact, I was going say "huge" but I guess there are other libraries in the country that are even larger. To me it seems gigantic!

For used books there is the Boro Book Warehouse:

Google Maps

Their building was damaged in the first smaller tornado we had back in March, and I'm not sure if they've reopened yet. There is also Book Liquidators on Memorial Blvd, next to the Chamber of Commerce. And if that's not enough, most antique stores around here have plenty of old books. The problem is, they're not organized in any particular order. So be prepared to stay a while.

As far as places to hang out, drink coffee, and read, I can't help you much. I don't drink coffee and I have a hard time reading if other people are around. There used to be a neat little coffee shop just down the street from me, but it's no longer in business.

(I just did a search on Google Maps for "Murfreesboro, TN coffee shops" and several came up. One up on the square, which would probably be a great place to relax and enjoy a book.)

hastings is smaller version of a local B&N. B&N is in the AVENUE mall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville