Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 03:46 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,294 times

Advertisements

The reason Nashville doesn't have a bypass is we like people to slow down and stay awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 04:13 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
I wonder if they laugh when they hit rush hour traffic in downtown. Plus, once the connection to I40 is complete, some traffic goes 40E to 65S and other traffic goes 40E to 24E and vice versa (north to west and west to west). That alone is a considerable amount of traffic that will be taken out of downtown/440. It doesn't have to be TOTALLY about how much traffic would go around the city to get back onto 40EorW.
There will be little traffic flowing from I40 to 65S. If a truck was coming from the West and heading East down into Florida or something like that, they'd just take US 78 down to Birmingham out of Memphis. It's not an interstate, but it's basically one.

Same deal on I24. It dies in Chattanooga. There's very little OTR trucking initiating from the Southeast portion of the state. If a truck is going West from Atlanta, it's going to cut across on I20 to Birmingham and take US78 west.

Look at the population centers and how Nashville plays into things from the West and South. If you zoom out on the country as a whole on the map you'll see that 840 isn't a bright idea.

I agree that there are now a few distribution centers along the way. But mainly what 840 does is encourage more population sprawl by making some commutes that were previously unthinkable now a reality. Rather than spend the money building public transportation infrastructure, it's being spent putting cars on the road for a longer commute.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:28 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,225 times
Nashville's approach has been more to build up/around the spokes instead of the beltway approach. Of course Briley has developed as a "spoke hopper" as well as 440 (to some degree, but it was obsolete when it opened twenty years ago). Nashville's topography hampers the development of a pure beltway bypass.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:07 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big TR View Post
There will be little traffic flowing from I40 to 65S. If a truck was coming from the West and heading East down into Florida or something like that, they'd just take US 78 down to Birmingham out of Memphis. It's not an interstate, but it's basically one.

Same deal on I24. It dies in Chattanooga. There's very little OTR trucking initiating from the Southeast portion of the state. If a truck is going West from Atlanta, it's going to cut across on I20 to Birmingham and take US78 west.

Look at the population centers and how Nashville plays into things from the West and South. If you zoom out on the country as a whole on the map you'll see that 840 isn't a bright idea.

I agree that there are now a few distribution centers along the way. But mainly what 840 does is encourage more population sprawl by making some commutes that were previously unthinkable now a reality. Rather than spend the money building public transportation infrastructure, it's being spent putting cars on the road for a longer commute.
Yep, that's pretty much all it's good for.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:16 AM

13 posts, read 46,084 times
840 was mainly to help truck drivers to use 840 to go around the city and help ease traffic from the big trucks.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:02 AM

940 posts, read 1,902,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Yep, that's pretty much all it's good for.
I was visiting with friends a few years ago, and they were of the opinion that 840 was a boondoggle. Now I'm not so sure, this one could be one that was gotten right, although my condolences to those who lost property. The truth is, Nashville is situated right in the middle between the Midwest and the deep South, and with 6 interstate spokes, you know it will only increase in importance for distribution. I went to a Vanderbilt awards banquet here at the bodacious Houstonian conference center where they awarded an influential and active VU Houston alum and a faculty member. The faculty guy was Chinese, had never heard of Nashville while in China but had recently made the move from Canada to VU. He even made the observation to me that he thought Nashville is specially situated as to location, after I asked him his opinion of his move. Historical note: George H.W. Bush had an apartment in the residential tower on the Houstonian grounds while president.

I haven't driven I-24 between Nashville and Murfreesboro in 3 decades, but my brother (in Atlanta) says the stretch is massively taken up by warehousing. So all that land along 840, being much cheaper for this purpose, serves to enhance the economic health of the region by attracting these operations.

Am curious though, is I-40 east getting a lot of warehousing too? I drove it in '94 last and I don't remember this being the case at that time.

Last edited by groovamos; 10-29-2009 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: wording, add historical note.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:40 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
I was visiting with friends a few years ago, and they were of the opinion that 840 was a boondoggle. Now I'm not so sure, this one could be one that was gotten right, although my condolences to those who lost property. The truth is, Nashville is situated right in the middle between the Midwest and the deep South, and with 6 interstate spokes, you know it will only increase in importance for distribution. I went to a Vanderbilt awards banquet here at the bodacious Houstonian conference center where they awarded an influential and active VU Houston alum and a faculty member. The faculty guy was Chinese, had never heard of Nashville while in China but had recently made the move from Canada to VU. He even made the observation to me that he thought Nashville is specially situated as to location, after I asked him his opinion of his move. Historical note: George H.W. Bush had an apartment in the residential tower on the Houstonian grounds while president.

I haven't driven I-24 between Nashville and Murfreesboro in 3 decades, but my brother (in Atlanta) says the stretch is massively taken up by warehousing. So all that land along 840, being much cheaper for this purpose, serves to enhance the economic health of the region by attracting these operations.

Am curious though, is I-40 east getting a lot of warehousing too? I drove it in '94 last and I don't remember this being the case at that time.
Yes I-40 E mainly between Mt. Juliet and Lebanon has a lot of warehouse and distribution activity.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:27 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,645 times
I personally think 840 is great since I do a lot of traveling from Knoxville & Chattanooga to Franklin...

IMO, Atlanta needs another bypass further out than 285...the city has obviously outgrown that "bypass!"

Old 10-30-2009, 07:04 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
I personally think 840 is great since I do a lot of traveling from Knoxville & Chattanooga to Franklin...

IMO, Atlanta needs another bypass further out than 285...the city has obviously outgrown that "bypass!"
Ew.

why don't we just connect Atlanta and Chattanooga with continuous concentric circles?

Old 10-30-2009, 07:47 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Ew.

why don't we just connect Atlanta and Chattanooga with continuous concentric circles?
What? Those 2 cities are 120 miles apart. As it is now, there is no good way to get from I-75S to I-85N or I-20E w/o going through ATL. Another road on the north side near Cartersville/Canton/Cumming could help with that...or at least make my life easier. But, I'm not a traffic engineer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville