Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,838 times

Advertisements

We live in Key West & may be looking to buy a condo/apartment/townhome in Nashville. We would like to be in a place we could walk to everything, as we can do that now, but also have a place that we could go in the summer and the holidays. Would Nashville or Memphis be better? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 06:08 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
I don't know about Memphis but I can't imagine its walkability is any better than Nashvilles. Nashville's walkability is one of the worst in the nation. There are pockets like Hillsboro Village, E. Nashville and then there are Traditional Neighborhood Design Subdivisions that are walkable or will eventually be walkable Lenox Village and Westhaven are the largest. Also parts of Historic Downtown Franklin are walkable too.

None of these places though would let you live completely car free.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,103 times
Yes Nashville, Why cant we walk more? I think this can change and its up to its residents to make that change. So move here and we can teach more people to walk. It is possible we have a great city that is interested in evolving just need something. Like sidewalks in poorer areas. I don't know if thats the answer but I do sure feel bad for the poor having to walk on the side of the roads i think it is demeaning while the rich get nice sidewalks to exercise on. I own a business in Madison, Archangel Tattoo Studio and the whole area needs to have a more local feel and community effort, so walking would be perfect.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:46 PM

933 posts, read 2,742,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneyandpabby View Post
Yes Nashville, Why cant we walk more? I think this can change and its up to its residents to make that change. So move here and we can teach more people to walk. It is possible we have a great city that is interested in evolving just need something. Like sidewalks in poorer areas. I don't know if thats the answer but I do sure feel bad for the poor having to walk on the side of the roads i think it is demeaning while the rich get nice sidewalks to exercise on. I own a business in Madison, Archangel Tattoo Studio and the whole area needs to have a more local feel and community effort, so walking would be perfect.
Yes, I agree with you but there's plenty of "rich" areas in Nashville that are just as bad or worse about having no sidewalks...cough Green...cough...Hills...Bellevue...cough...I guess that's what gas and treadmills are for though...

Old 08-24-2009, 06:01 PM

63 posts, read 280,551 times
More sidewalks will obviously help, but they have to actually take you to stuff that isn't 15 miles away. Urban infill projects (like the 12th and Paris development that includes a small neighborhood grocery store and several other retail spots) ought to help with that, so hopefully we'll see more of them in the coming years.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:26 PM

933 posts, read 2,742,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnPate View Post
The small town of Franklin is just south of Nashville. It is an older area with many stores, restaurants, and places to shop and go. They have many music festivals, and small town activities to enjoy. Not far from there they are proposed to build another small town community at the new exit off I-65 with townhomes, houses, condos, offices, shops, grocery stores and all within walkin distance.

There are already a few places in the Cool Springs Mall area building these types of small communities and will be more before long, when the economy picks up.

I am a realtor and would be happy to send you more info if you will email me.
Wow, can't believe I see city life, walkable and "Cool Springs" mentioned in the same breath. No offense to the poster but Cool Springs is a morass of strip malls, big box retail stores that is definitly NOT walkable. Can you pretty much shop at any of your favorite chain stores? Sure, but you won't be walking. As far as Franklin, it is a lovely little town with a town square and the whole shebang that's found somewhere near the center. Good luck finding it as by the time you drive there, you will feel like a mouse in a maze trying to find cheese. The only really walkable city neighborhoods I can think of are Hillsboro Village (near Vanderbilt), East Nashville (Edgefield, Lockeland Springs, Eastwood Neighbors), parts of North Nashville and parts of the 12th South/Belmont area. You could actually live in most of these areas without a car and still walk to restaurants, live music, coffee haunts, groceries ect...and you would be close to all the amenities of downtown Nashville. They are also planning on developing the Cumberland River banks (East and West) into recreational parks and marinas (long past due) like Chattanooga has done recently (You really should check that city out if you like walkable citites, they are doing an incredible job). Hopefully all areas in Middle Tennessee can catch up to other areas in the country as far as being walkable.

Last edited by yank283; 08-25-2009 at 03:43 PM..

Old 08-25-2009, 04:55 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,134 times
I live in East Nashville & consider it very walkable & love it over here. My brother lives in Hillsboro Village & hasn't had a car in years. These would be my top 2 picks with 12th South following right behind. Each Downtown neighborhood has it's own flair so it depends on what types of places you're interested in walking to & how much you want to pay to be near those conveniences.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:15 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
Wow, can't believe I see city life, walkable and "Cool Springs" mentioned in the same breath. No offense to the poster but Cool Springs is a morass of strip malls, big box retail stores that is definitly NOT walkable. Can you pretty much shop at any of your favorite chain stores? Sure, but you won't be walking. As far as Franklin, it is a lovely little town with a town square and the whole shebang that's found somewhere near the center. Good luck finding it as by the time you drive there, you will feel like a mouse in a maze trying to find cheese. The only really walkable city neighborhoods I can think of are Hillsboro Village (near Vanderbilt), East Nashville (Edgefield, Lockeland Springs, Eastwood Neighbors), parts of North Nashville and parts of the 12th South/Belmont area. You could actually live in most of these areas without a car and still walk to restaurants, live music, coffee haunts, groceries ect...and you would be close to all the amenities of downtown Nashville. They are also planning on developing the Cumberland River banks (East and West) into recreational parks and marinas (long past due) like Chattanooga has done recently (You really should check that city out if you like walkable citites, they are doing an incredible job). Hopefully all areas in Middle Tennessee can catch up to other areas in the country as far as being walkable.
Yeah, Franklin, downtown is about ALL that's walkable in Williamson County.

I'd like to see the "mixed use" developments going up in Cool Springs because I don't believe it!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:19 AM

162 posts, read 550,768 times
Also, the downtown high rises around HG Hill's Urban Market (Welcome to H. G. Hill!) offer true walk-ability. No car, no problem. Cab it anywhere outside of walking distance. From the Viridian you can jump in the elevator and head back up with fresh veggies. Curious - why does downtown still get left off the list?

It would be fun to see options in Cool Springs someday (the new McEwen threatens to do it... Welcome to McEwen | Franklin TN), or the growing community sense in Lenox Village (Tennessee New Homes & Town Homes, Home Builder for Columbia, Nashville, Cane Ridge, Smyrna, Murfreesboro, Tennessee. - Home page | Lenox Village) -- but these still fall well short of the lifestyle offered in Hillsboro Village and East Nashville. The Gulch near downtown is not far off and would be a good 'coming very soon' or ‘new condo’ pick (ICON has sold 160+ condos... it’s here to stay).

Old 08-27-2009, 05:39 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,721 times
I'm really wishing my hometown would build more new urbanist communities like Lenox Village or planned communities like Providence. Even having just a few "popular" retail offerings in walking/biking distance and having sidewalks and trails leading to and from is a whole lot better than having none at all, which seems to be the tendency in Nashville. It seems like you can just about count on one hand the communities which offer close walking proximity to retail and the sidewalks/trails to make the walk safe. What are there, maybe 6 or 7 communities like that in the entire metro area, couting Germantown and the Jefferson Street district as 2 of them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville