Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 10:26 PM

13 posts, read 21,101 times

Advertisements

For more reasons that I can put in one post, I will be relocating to Nashville toward the beginning of next year. However, I need to get my ducks in a row... Seeings how this is a solo adventure.

If anyone can help me with these questions, I'd appreciate it a lot!

- What is the biggest shock moving from California (Southern) to Tennessee?
- Is the cost of living hugely different?
- Is it harder to find a job in Nashville?
- What are the perks of moving here?

Any imput is greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 10:36 PM

251 posts, read 1,031,929 times
Good luck with you move.....

I am in California as well, Northern....so I can't really chime in...

The weather will be different and you are land-locked....but the Main things you need to know Nashville transplants and/or natives will have
to tell...

Try to find a job before you move....

There are quite a few people that have moved from california to nashville and other
southern cities....so I am sure people will respond...

Old 08-25-2009, 12:32 AM

940 posts, read 1,891,787 times
I left Nashville in '75 for Austin, then I moved from there to L.A. region in '77 ending up in the South Bay (Redondo Beach). I was there for 3 years, now in Houston. Nashville metro is now more than double the population it was then, and L.A. is quite changed also, so maybe my input won't be that useful, but I can give you the perspective of someone born and raised in the south. I found SoCal quite a spectacular experience, finding myself in a cosmopolitan region of the Pacific Rim. I found the combination of weather, high energy culture, wide array of entertainment and recreational opportunities very exhilarating. Drawbacks -- having to drive so far to find solitude, although the mountains and desert did provide some of that, still far from Redondo. Also having to pay much for a lot of things that are free or cheap in other locales, having to deal with crowds and/or traffic many places you go. When you get to Nashville I think you will find the culture more influenced by history and tradition, although it is a modern metropolis in every sense. You will hear people say it is "slower" but what they mean is that the population density and number is so much less that the "zeitgeist" so to speak feels different. You won't go to a Titans game and think "these people sure do move slowly" but in the city what you are experiencing is "activity density" around you lower than in a place such as SoCal or Chicago, where I have also lived.

I will say also that Tennessee is quite beautiful, and is the most diverse geographically of all the non-coastal states. And the season changes are as spectacular as anyplace, I'm sure. I think learning as much as you can about the state while there will help the transition, it's fascinating, and I've learned much about it even since living there. And Nashville is a much more interesting and visually appealing place than when I was a resident, a lot of good things have happened there from an urban design perspective. The residential areas have always been quite beautiful, and Franklin is probably my favorite small town outside of Aspen.

I think you may experience something akin to "culture shock" but living in an appealing place will ease the adjustment you may need. I highly recommend a book: Tennessee by Robert Brandt, published by Fodor's imprint, Compass.

Here are some of my posts about moving from huge metros to Nashville and vice versa in these threads:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...ml#post3328469

http://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...my-family.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...nashville.html

And how I came across the above book:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...ml#post9946336

Last edited by groovamos; 08-25-2009 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: add link, redo layout

Old 08-25-2009, 10:18 AM

13 posts, read 45,803 times
I'm not sure about all of Cali, but I know as a whole it is cheaper to live here. Rent is cheaper and you can get a bigger house and more yard for your money in most cases. I'm not sure about where you live on the culture but here in TN it is very different. East TN, Middle TN, and West TN is all completely different from each other and even in Nashville each directions of the interstates can you lead to different cultures and lifestyle. When you are moving here, I would stay away from I-24 East of Nashville. That area has been going down for a long time. Their is more and more people coming here from other states so you will fit in easily. Just recently the Nissan Headquarters moved to the Nashville area. We also have the Nissan plant, Saturn Plant (just south of Nashville). Our sports teams in the Nashville area is Vanderbilt (SEC), Nashville, Predators (NHL), Tennessee Titans (NFL), Nashville Sounds (minor league baseball).

Some notes are in TN we don't have a income tax, and we just have sales tax on things which is 9.25% the last I looked. Gas prices are $2.45-$2.60 for 89 octane gas (depending on gas station and area of town.

What area where you looking to move to? If you want to know more you can send me a private message and I will try to help you the best I can. I have lived here my entire life and I don't plan on moving away.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:21 PM

13 posts, read 21,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
I left Nashville in '75 for Austin, then I moved from there to L.A. region in '77 ending up in the South Bay (Redondo Beach). I was there for 3 years, now in Houston. Nashville metro is now more than double the population it was then, and L.A. is quite changed also, so maybe my input won't be that useful, but I can give you the perspective of someone born and raised in the south. I found SoCal quite a spectacular experience, finding myself in a cosmopolitan region of the Pacific Rim. I found the combination of weather, high energy culture, wide array of entertainment and recreational opportunities very exhilarating. Drawbacks -- having to drive so far to find solitude, although the mountains and desert did provide some of that, still far from Redondo. Also having to pay much for a lot of things that are free or cheap in other locales, having to deal with crowds and/or traffic many places you go. When you get to Nashville I think you will find the culture more influenced by history and tradition, although it is a modern metropolis in every sense. You will hear people say it is "slower" but what they mean is that the population density and number is so much less that the "zeitgeist" so to speak feels different. You won't go to a Titans game and think "these people sure do move slowly" but in the city what you are experiencing is "activity density" around you lower than in a place such as SoCal or Chicago, where I have also lived.

I will say also that Tennessee is quite beautiful, and is the most diverse geographically of all the non-coastal states. And the season changes are as spectacular as anyplace, I'm sure. I think learning as much as you can about the state while there will help the transition, it's fascinating, and I've learned much about it even since living there. And Nashville is a much more interesting and visually appealing place than when I was a resident, a lot of good things have happened there from an urban design perspective. The residential areas have always been quite beautiful, and Franklin is probably my favorite small town outside of Aspen.

I think you may experience something akin to "culture shock" but living in an appealing place will ease the adjustment you may need. I highly recommend a book: Tennessee by Robert Brandt, published by Fodor's imprint, Compass.

Here are some of my posts about moving from huge metros to Nashville and vice versa in these threads:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...ml#post3328469

http://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...my-family.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...nashville.html

And how I came across the above book:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...ml#post9946336
Thanks for your input about books! I just found the book your speaking of for $4 online... last one! Can't wait til it comes in the mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: