Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 08:59 PM

15 posts, read 40,120 times

Advertisements

We are leaving our beloved Austin for your beautiful city next week.

I have researched threads from this forum and really found it helpful.

I am having trouble finding specific conversations about a few private schools we are looking at. Franklin Road Academy and Overbrook Catholic School.

Any have direct experience good or bad? Know first or second hand of current reputations/specifics?

Seems like there are some vague references in past threads but not too much.

Thanks for any attention and we are looking forward to our new home town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 10:23 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,159,082 times
I've had friends who have had kids that went to both FRA and Overbrook. Both have very good reputations. I can't tell you any specifics but if I had kids I wouldn't hesitate to consider either one of those schools if they were appropriate (I'm not Catholic). If you happened to have Father Ryan on your list I could provide more information; my best friend's three kids went to FR.

Overbrook is part of the Domimican campus, which also includes St. Cecilia and Aquinas Junior College. It's a nice-looking campus, next door to St. Thomas Hospital.

Last edited by alleycat; 09-02-2009 at 10:34 PM..

Old 09-03-2009, 05:49 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,528,773 times
I know people who sent their kids to Overbrook and really like it. I know 2 people at FRA and I've never them say anything good about the school. They complain about it in a vague way. That said, looking at FRA's college placement list I wouldn't pay for it.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:20 AM

15 posts, read 40,120 times
Thank you so much for all of your responses.

We have done the tour and certainly got a feel for the schools. Great impressions, but sometimes you just appreciate the opinions of locals.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:21 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,445,563 times
Good advice about the campus tour, MonBon. I agree. FRA had a great reputation when I was in high school 15+ years ago. I don't get the sense that their reputation has dropped that much, but I could be wrong. I think it might be a case where there are more private schools now and that has diluted their reputation somewhat. There are lots of options for private schools in that part of the city: FRA, Overbrook, David Lipscomb, Father Ryan, MBA (male), Harpeth Hall (ladies), Ensworth. The last 3 being probably the most "elite", where "elite" = "expensive".

Old 09-03-2009, 09:09 PM

940 posts, read 1,896,094 times
You're talking 2 of my favorite cities. I lived in Nashville 3 times (19 years) and Austin twice (13 years). Almost identical in size, superficially similar, really different though. I grew up and came of age in Nashville, transferred to Vanderbilt for baccalaureate and attended UT Austin for Master's. Hooked into the 2 universities, and support them financially.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:43 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,609,730 times
If you're not set on a religious school, consider University School too. USN and Ensworth are both outstanding.

Hope you find the right one for your family. Take tours and see how your kids feel about them. Good luck, and welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville