U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-06-2009, 12:20 PM

9 posts, read 20,468 times
Default Anybody from Murfreesboro,TN?

Anybody from Murfreesboro,TN?

Anybody from Murfreesboro,TN?
I would like to know from people who live or lived there what its like. We are considering Murfreesboro,tn or lexington,ky. We live at fort knox for 2 years. I would like to know how the winters are in Murfreesboro? The spring summer fall, How are the schools. What side of town to avoid. My husband is a employee of the veteran affairs hospital so i would like to know about that area is it good or one to work in and avoid. Are there good parks for kids to play and dog friendly places for your pets. we are also looking to get another dog once we find a place so how are the pet shelters or who are some good breeders of collies. Thanks i will post more questions as i think of them.

we are coming from eastern Massachuestts.

What are some great mom and pop kinda of places to eat there?

do you guys get snow. and i love every thing from mexican food to soul food and everything inbetween.. thanks for the school information. what about this area this is where my husband will be employed Alvin C. York Campus
3400 Lebanon Pike
Murfreesboro, TN 37129. thanks

my kids are 3 and 6 and it will probably be next year before we are certian about where we are going. If anybody has infromation on the surrounding towns close to the address above i would really appreaicet it thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 04:59 PM

8,851 posts, read 6,889,271 times
Winters here are mild, even compared to Kentucky standards. We usually get one snow a year, and it's rarely more than two or three inches. We do still have some fairly cold days (it was 3F one morning last winter) but rarely any frozen precipitation, and it's even more rare when it actually sticks. Fall is nice but usually pretty warm and short-lived. Spring can get pretty warm toward the end, and Summer is miserable (IMO). We've had a fairly mild summer this year, but it was still waaaaay too hot for me. Others don't seem to mind it. Couldn't tell you much about the quality of the schools, since I don't have children.

Most people consider the "bad" side of town to be roughly much of the Southeast side. I hate to call it "bad", but it seems that's how most people seem to view it. The VA is on the upper edge of town, and that is generally considered the "good" side of town. There are the Seigel schools nearby (Elementary, Middle, and High), and Regency Park, which is a nice neighborhood filled with what I consider medium and large homes.

I'm not sure what your price range in houses would be, but just down Thompson Lane a bit is Breckenridge, which is a more upscale neighborhood with some very large homes, and if you continue West you'll come to Riverbend and Riverview, which are two very nice neighborhoods filled with older, fairly large homes. If you head east a little on Compton Road (which is what Thompson lane becomes after Hwy 231) you'll find several other neighborhoods with a wide variety of houses; some very affordable and others quite pricey (The Reserve). If you plan to rent instead, the Paddock Club apartments are practically across the street from the VA campus, and seem to be very nice. Keep in mind there are many, many other places to live in Murfreesboro and many other schools, I'm just mentioning the ones that are close to where your husband plans to work. It just so happens that those schools are pretty new and surrounded by nice neighborhoods, and just happen to be very close to the VA.

Unfortunately, there aren't very many mom & pop type places to eat around here anymore. But this town has a ridiculous number of restaurants, so I'm sure there are some out there somewhere. I don't eat out much so I can't help you as much in that regard.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:16 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention parks. Down Thompson Lane, just past Riverview is the trailhead for the Stones River Greenway, which is a multi use path that can take you almost all the way to the town square, or all the way out to Highway 99 (and eventually is supposed to connect to Barfield Park). You can bike or walk on it, and you can get to the Stones River National Battlefield and Old Fort Park from it. It also has a branch that goes off into the Gateway area, where there is a little lake with waterfalls, ducks, and geese. At the point where that branches off, there is a small playground, and shortly after that is a dog park. At Old Fort Park you'll find Kid's Castle, which is basically just a big, awesome playground. If you continue on the branch that leads to Old Fort Park, you can go all the way to Highway 99, and I believe there is another small playground at that trailhead. If you go past the branch for Old Fort Park, you'll wind up at Cannonsburgh, which is a little historical village where you can walk around. Just up the hill from that is the public square, though the Greenway ends at Cannonsburgh.

On the other side of town, near Barfield, is Barfield Crescent Park, which has a pretty extensive group of hiking trails, among other things. That's way on the other end of town, so I don't go there much. On Broad Street at the end of Maney is the Discovery Center and Murfee Springs Wetlands, which seems to be a popular place to take the kids. I haven't been there myself (though I would like to go), but I've heard it's great. There's a lot more information here:

Parks and Rec - Parks and Recreation Department

Old 09-06-2009, 10:54 PM

9 posts, read 20,468 times
oh thank you for all the infromation. I don't mind hot summers being that i am from texas but spent time in the service and married a guy from massachusetts! we are look about 190,000 to 225,000k on a house some where that we can live grow old die and leave to the kids. we want a little bit of land not right in the city but about a 30min drive to the VA hospital. oh and thanks for the outdoors information its great.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:38 AM

If you're from Texas the Tennessee summers shouldn't be a big deal for you. You may be able to find the property you're looking for far less than 30 minutes from the VA. It's basically on the edge of town, anyway. Good luck!

Old 09-18-2009, 01:36 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,314,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygurl2830 View Post
oh thank you for all the infromation. I don't mind hot summers being that i am from texas but spent time in the service and married a guy from massachusetts! we are look about 190,000 to 225,000k on a house some where that we can live grow old die and leave to the kids. we want a little bit of land not right in the city but about a 30min drive to the VA hospital. oh and thanks for the outdoors information its great.

Lacassas. Land. Low taxes. Beautiful. Cheaper than Murfreesboro..you'll love it - great schools too...

Old 09-18-2009, 10:12 PM

3,537 posts, read 4,990,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Lacassas. Land. Low taxes. Beautiful. Cheaper than Murfreesboro..you'll love it - great schools too...
Lascassas is served by Rutherford Cty. schools just as Murfreesboro is. Murfreesboro also has a "city" school system in addition to being served by the "county" schools.

It all really depends on how far out you want to be. I personally love "convenience", so Lascassas would not work for me or my wife. It's all about personal preferences.

If you don't mind being further out, you can also look into Christiana, TN.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:26 PM

8 posts, read 23,559 times
We have just relocated to Murfreesboro from Florida and will pipe in here with our opinion of the town and what it has to offer in my short time here.

We fell in love with Murfreesboro from the moment we got here and we love it more and more each day we are here. There are great schools in the area, great parks for the children, ample shopping venues for women and men alike, adequate to above average colleges and universities in the area if you have that on your plate for the future, and so much outdoor recreational opportunities within 100 miles or so that you could probably not do it all and see it all in your lifetime. There are at least four major recreational lakes in the area if you are a boater or if you like to fish or waterski. There are numerous state and federal parks and it is not a long haul even to Gatlinburg, Tn and Great Smoky Mountain National Park.

Crime rates in the area are acceptably low at this time and housing prices and taxes, even in the city, are rediculously low compared to other areas that we have lived.

If you are looking for new homes, there are many great new subdivisions to choose from and all are extremely convenient to schools. If you are looking for established neighborhoods, which is where we chose to buy, there are also many of them with great homes and also convenient nearby schools.

We chose to buy in the Regenwood subdivision. We bought a 10 year old home that had just had almost all the major things that could go wrong with it recently refurbished. We have about 1/2 acre of land, brick two story home 2,700 sq ft. with an attached two car garage, large deck, massive floored walk in attic, and lots of upgrades and got all this for 240,000. Our taxes for the year, which include city taxes will be about 2,000. That is a far cry from the 4,500 that we were paying in Florida for less house and less land. Both States have no state taxes.

The schools are great. Our kids love them and can't wait to go to school every day. Homeword is moderate to heavy so you have that to deal with but it is about the same or just a little less that what the kids got in Florida. The Siegle Schools that our kids attend are well run and there is a dress code for boys at the Middle School where our older son is that requires wearing of a belt and tucked in shirts, etc. There is also a dress code for girls but we don't have a daughter. Not a really strict dress code but enough to maintain discipline. We like that alot. The sports programs are great and our son is in the band and the band programs at both the Middle School and High School are award winning. Great for a hopeful scholarship to college at some point for us. (We Hope).

Our neighborhood is quiet and it is convenient to shopping without being close enough to be bothered by it. We are about 3 miles from the Avenues, a nice outdoor access town center type mall and about 4 miles from the Stones River Mall which is a traditional indoor mall with a small section of outdoor shops and stores. There are lots of trees in our neighborhood and the song birds are abundant. No mischievious children or teens noted as of yet. Very quiet. This is big change for us since our last home was on a major street and we lived next door to the Kids from He**.

If you are coming to Murfreesboro, you owe it to yourself to check out Regency Park and Regenwood Subdivisions. You will love them. I am sure that there are many others just as great but we couldn't be happier. If you like peace, beauty and convenience, this is the place to be. We look forward to a long life and eventual retirement in Murfreesboro.

Come enjoy.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:11 PM

Regenwood is a great neighborhood that gets overlooked too often. Nice houses and convenient to just about anything you would need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville