Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,955 times

Advertisements

Hello, this is my first post in these forums, nice to meet you all. I'm originally from Louisville and currently live in West Los Angeles. I'm considering a move to Nashville next spring and have been lurking in the forums to learn more about the lifestyle, and I like what I have read. However, I've read in a few places that traffic is horrible and getting worse.

In the few times I have visited Nashville, it has been incredibly pleasant to drive from Franklin up to the downtown area to hit a music venue or two. In contrast, here in Los Angeles, the mere idea of driving 8 miles to see a concert in Hollywood makes me shake with anxiety (and don't get me started on parking), plus I have to schedule at least an hour to go that far during rush hour. Even on a Sunday afternoon, all 6 lanes on the 405 and main thoroughfares are bumper to bumper and cruising along at 20 miles an hour.

Hopefully I'm not hearing that there's more of the same in Nashville. What can I expect of rush hour traffic, Saturday night traffic, and Sunday afternoon traffic? To give you background, I'm late 20's and will probably live within Nashville proper or maybe Franklin. I am into live music in the evenings and outdoorsy type stuff on weekends.

Thanks!

-cat (do I sign my name? I'm new to this )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 12:37 PM

297 posts, read 1,078,429 times
I can gaurantee that there will be no traffic problems outside of the weekday rush hours. The commute from Franklin to Nashville (core) during weekends or off-peak hours will probably run you ~30min depending on how close you are to I-65. During the weekday rush hours, it's all relative. But, I think you will have no problems with traffic, especially coming from LA.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:57 PM

162 posts, read 550,592 times
Cat, BP300 is dead on. Nothing in all of Nashville will remind you of the 405. Franklin to Nashville is a breeze off-hours, and especially on the weekend. During drive times, you’ll see 40 minutes as the most common delay, less most evenings. Does that help?

Old 06-26-2009, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,955 times
This does help. I know nothing could possibly compare to LA traffic, but I grew concerned after seeing some horror stories about Nashville traffic. Especially the notes about Nashville becoming more like Atlanta in terms of sprawl, and as a result, becoming more congested.

I have noticed a lot of the complaints are about slow drivers specifically, but man, that sure beats the crazy lane-weaving speedsters here in LA! You can see slow drivers ahead of you and go around them, but you aren't usually prepared when you see a Hummer passing you on the right going 90 mph!!

Old 06-26-2009, 03:21 PM

627 posts, read 1,845,718 times
Coming from LA, you will love Nashville "traffic".

Old 10-28-2009, 07:25 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
Ditto... I've worked on many long-term projects in LA and got to know the area quite well, and I absolutely hated getting around that city.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:34 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,223,893 times
We just got back home (L.A.) from Nashville yesterday. We honestly looked for traffic and couldn't find any. We were driving 70 at 9 am. Around 2-4 pm we saw only a few cars on the interstate. Around 5 pm we saw more, but it didn't slow us down at all. Seriously don't listen to those who say the traffic is horrible. It's all relative! Enjoy the "traffic"! LOL

Old 10-31-2009, 07:20 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
We just got back home (L.A.) from Nashville yesterday. We honestly looked for traffic and couldn't find any. We were driving 70 at 9 am. Around 2-4 pm we saw only a few cars on the interstate. Around 5 pm we saw more, but it didn't slow us down at all. Seriously don't listen to those who say the traffic is horrible. It's all relative! Enjoy the "traffic"! LOL

I wrote a post like yours not too long ago. But we finally did find the traffic. There can be some slow pockets on the interstate, but really it isn't that big of a deal at all. The traffic added an extra 15 minutes.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:44 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
I am originally from the NYC metro area and you will laugh at what they call traffic here in the Nashville area.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:47 AM

142 posts, read 205,661 times
Default Just speed up a little and you'll be fine

I grew up near San Luis Obispo, lived in L.A. quite a while when I got older. All I can say in comparing traffic to Nashville is that you're going to have to go A LOT faster in Nashville. People in California are used to cruising, the drivers in Nashville are regularly at 70mph and above, and the more spread out areas of town---such as Bellevue Highway 70 S/Old Hickory Blvd, the traffic is often moving at freeway speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gato108 View Post
Hello, this is my first post in these forums, nice to meet you all. I'm originally from Louisville and currently live in West Los Angeles. I'm considering a move to Nashville next spring and have been lurking in the forums to learn more about the lifestyle, and I like what I have read. However, I've read in a few places that traffic is horrible and getting worse.

In the few times I have visited Nashville, it has been incredibly pleasant to drive from Franklin up to the downtown area to hit a music venue or two. In contrast, here in Los Angeles, the mere idea of driving 8 miles to see a concert in Hollywood makes me shake with anxiety (and don't get me started on parking), plus I have to schedule at least an hour to go that far during rush hour. Even on a Sunday afternoon, all 6 lanes on the 405 and main thoroughfares are bumper to bumper and cruising along at 20 miles an hour.

Hopefully I'm not hearing that there's more of the same in Nashville. What can I expect of rush hour traffic, Saturday night traffic, and Sunday afternoon traffic? To give you background, I'm late 20's and will probably live within Nashville proper or maybe Franklin. I am into live music in the evenings and outdoorsy type stuff on weekends.

Thanks!

-cat (do I sign my name? I'm new to this )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville