Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 01:43 PM

145 posts, read 515,234 times

Advertisements

I *might* be getting a job offer soon, and if so, it is really close to St. Thomas Hospital, which is fast becoming my favorite part of town. It is about a 45 minute commute (on a good day) from my present home in the northern suburbs. I HATE driving, so I may be tempted to start looking for a place to live closer to work.

Is it even possible to find a home nearby in the $150,000 range that is not in a bad area? It would have to have a minimum of 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and ideally a 2 car garage (a rare feature in the older neighborhoods, I know).

As much as I'd love to live in Belle Meade, I know I don't have the deep pockets for it.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 06:40 PM

288 posts, read 542,775 times
nashville police have a crime map online that shows the good and bad areas

Old 10-11-2009, 03:14 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
You might look off of White Bridge Road in the area across the street from the technical college. They are older homes, so I doubt you could find a 2BR/2B house with a 2-car garage. I'm not sure what they sell for; I would guess you could buy one for $150k. Some of them have been renovated and are kind of cute inside.

Another option would be Bellevue. There are a few homes in the Harpeth Woods subdivision that sell for $150k. It's a 15-minute drive from there to St. Thomas during rush hours. At other times you might be able to make it in 10 minutes. Most are 2BR/2B (some have a third room that could be used as a study or a third BR). Some have garages, some don't. I would avoid the far side of the subdivision near the river. It's in a flood plain.

Last edited by alleycat; 10-11-2009 at 04:02 AM..

Old 10-12-2009, 10:46 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
I would also advise you to look around Bellevue. It wouldn't be too far of a drive.

In my experience, most of the area around there is very high priced...even over around White Bridge Road near Nashville State Tech. Then it seems to nose-dive when you get around Charlotte Pike or on the other side of I40.

I think Bellevue is your best bet. You might be able to find a townhome in Belle Meade or Green Hills for around $150k...you never know.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:03 AM

145 posts, read 515,234 times
Thanks all.

A few posts in this thread got deleted that were also helpful. It's discouraging. I don't ask for help often, and when I do, the responses get deleted!

Old 10-12-2009, 02:42 PM

813 posts, read 2,030,844 times
If you're looking for a single-family home try the White Bridge neighborhood but look on the side that's east of White Bridge Pike (same side of the street as Nashville State). I haven't checked in a while but I believe the price points on that side are a little lower than the west side. I live in that neighborhood and see "for sale" and "for rent" signs frequently when I walk my dog.

Otherwise, Bellevue or Charlotte Park might be your best option. You're not going to find a closet in Belle Meade for $150,000 but you'll may be able to find a decent condo or townhome for a little bit more within a stone's throw.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:52 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
I live in Bellevue and used to work at Woodmont Centre right on the corner of Harding and Woodmont. I loved the commute. It was close enough that I could even go home for lunch if I wanted to. It's great if you can have a ten-minute commute in a city the size of Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville