Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:48 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,470,452 times

Advertisements

RE: Traffic...I think they're both about the same as far as headaches go. In my experience (I worked in Cool Springs for a few years) the traffic south of town generally moves better BUT if there are any issues, secondary roads are limited and aren't an option. It's feast or famine, in my experience. From north of town there do seem to be more regular bottlenecks in and around Downtown and sometimes around the Hville bypass BUT I think there are many more options for getting into downtown than from Franklin (Ellington Pkwy, Briley, Dickerson Rd, Gallatin Rd all are options...Ellington is probably the best).

Overall, I agree with most of what's been said, but again I'd also stress that I think you get more real estate bang for your buck in Hendersonville.

I'd say you just need to spend a long weekend in both cities to see what works best for you and your family. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 01:25 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
RE: Traffic...I think they're both about the same as far as headaches go. In my experience (I worked in Cool Springs for a few years) the traffic south of town generally moves better BUT if there are any issues, secondary roads are limited and aren't an option. It's feast or famine, in my experience. From north of town there do seem to be more regular bottlenecks in and around Downtown and sometimes around the Hville bypass BUT I think there are many more options for getting into downtown than from Franklin (Ellington Pkwy, Briley, Dickerson Rd, Gallatin Rd all are options...Ellington is probably the best).

Overall, I agree with most of what's been said, but again I'd also stress that I think you get more real estate bang for your buck in Hendersonville.

I'd say you just need to spend a long weekend in both cities to see what works best for you and your family. Good luck!

I think that traffic in hendersonville itself is a breeze compared to Franklin and cool springs. The commuter taffic may be worse but going shopping and running errands you don't run into as much traffic.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:44 PM

6 posts, read 15,715 times
My husband will be working off of Murfreesboro pike. I believe that is pretty much the same driving distance from each city. However, it is really nothing comparable to what we are used to driving here in Houston. We are going to rent the first six months to a year, just to make sure of the area, but I really hate pulling my kids out a new school and putting them in another one, if we decide to change areas. That is why I am trying to decide on which city. You guys are really such a help!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:15 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,623 times
Default Franklin or Hendersonville?

We are considering Franklin and Hendersonville. We've visited both and love them. Pros and cons of each? We don't have kids and won't for a few years so schools aren't really an issue. How is the commute to Nashville from each of those towns? Thanks!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:09 PM

5 posts, read 11,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
We are considering Franklin and Hendersonville. We've visited both and love them. Pros and cons of each? We don't have kids and won't for a few years so schools aren't really an issue. How is the commute to Nashville from each of those towns? Thanks!
I'll give my one and 1/2 cents. I'm 29 y/o and was born and raised in Nashville. My wife and I are currently renting an apartment in Franklin. We're about to buy a condo in Spring Hill, which straddles the Williamson/Maury Co line. The commute question gets tossed around a lot, and it is an important question. The truth is, there are too many variables to give a one size fits all answer. Anyone who's from here can attest to that. How far you live from the interstate is a big variable. Especially if you are a 8-5'er. How far your job is from the interstate is a variable too. I'll give you an example: I live 90 seconds from I-65 in the Mcewen area of Franklin. My job is right next to Belmont University right of I-440 in Nashville. I leave for work at 6:00 a.m. and without fail, it takes me about 16-17 minutes to get to work. I am one of the lucky ones. If you go to work two hours later, and you move deeper into Franklin and work in one of the skyscrapers in Nashville, your commute will probably be closer to 30-45 minutes. It's all relative.

I've spent a lot of time in both Hendersonville and Franklin. Franklin has more retail than you will ever need. On the flip side, it seems like everyone in Middle Tennessee is aware of this and traffic can be frustrating. Sometimes I think they time the traffic lights to make sure you hit all the red lights. Hendersonville has the lake, and also lots of shopping, with Rivergate Mall nearby. Both cities have low crime, but I'd give the nod to Franklin in that area. It's tough to get mugged when you're flanked by soccer moms in each direction.

I'm so glad you've decided to move to the Nashville area. If you have any questions, please e-mail me at nashscan@yahoo.com. My wife Ashley and I are at your disposal.

Preston

Old 11-07-2009, 05:14 AM

569 posts, read 1,425,132 times
Franklin and Hendersonville are so very different. I like both of them. Franklin is much more about the town square and history and Hendersonville is much more about lake living. One is new and one is old. Both are destinations for families with kids. I think there are about as many soccer moms in Hendersonville as Franklin. Franklin has more shopping options, but Hendersonville is starting to boom in that area too. Things were just starting to blossom when the economy tanked. Surprisingly, they are still building up there...just not as quickly. The Streets of Indian Lake pretty much established the center of shopping for Hendersonville, just as Cool Springs did for Franklin. Hendersonville is kind of where Cool Springs was about 10-15 years ago (shopping wise). I don't think you can go wrong with either location...it will all depend on which one you think will work better for you. As Nashcan said...your commute is going to depend on your schedule and how far you are from the interstate. I have lived on the south side of Nashville and on the north side. Both commutes can be tedious....so I now I live right in the middle

Old 11-08-2009, 09:39 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
I live in Hendersonville.

To me, it had everything we were looking for in a community.

The lake was a huge factor because it provides so much recreational opportunity throughout the year. Hendersonville also has a wonderful parks department and is building an ambitious greenway system which benefits my lifestyle.

The sense of community was also key. A recent article in Family Circle magazine noted Hendersonville's sense of community and how neighbors stay well connected with each other. This is something I have experienced first-hand. I believe that because Hendersonville is such a young city, that everyone still remembers what it is like to be new in town and so they have a very welcoming attitude toward newcomers. Hendersonvillians also have a lot of pride in the city and it shows in the neighborhoods.

The schools were rated highly and crime was a non-issue.

The commute is not too bad, in my opinion. It really depends on where you work. If you're able to use Briley Pky or Ellington Pky, your morning commute will be easy.

One thing I have noticed is that once you are in Hendersonville there isn't as much traffic as there is in Franklin and Cool Springs. While they commute may be longer, things like running errands and taking kids to school seems easier. I also like that a major interstate does not run through Hendersonville.

When I first came here, there were very little shopping and very little dining options. That has changed dramatically. The city's two main shopping districts: Glenbrook and Indian Lake Village didn't even exist 10 years ago. They are great for everyday shopping and have some specialty stores as well. We noticed that most stores we liked in Cool Springs we would only visit on occasion and most can be found in the Green Hills area at about 25 minutes from Hville on a weekend.

We probably visit Franklin/Cool Springs several times a year. We have friends from work that live in the area and of course it's a nice place to shop and visit.

All that being said it really just depends on what you want. Franklin's a great city!

Old 11-08-2009, 12:47 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,225 times
Both are quite nice, and I have lived in both. I tend to like Hendersonville b/c it has more of a diverse range of incomes and people. Not trying to slam or praise one over the other, but PERSONALLY (that's all) the people from Hendersonville seem a bit more genuine. On the other hand, downtown Franklin is beautiful and downtown Hendersonville (such as it is) is not pretty at all ... parking lots and strip malls.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:45 PM

16 posts, read 74,560 times
I would choose Hendersonville over Franklin

Old 11-22-2009, 10:26 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgail93 View Post
My husband will be working off of Murfreesboro pike. I believe that is pretty much the same driving distance from each city. However, it is really nothing comparable to what we are used to driving here in Houston. We are going to rent the first six months to a year, just to make sure of the area, but I really hate pulling my kids out a new school and putting them in another one, if we decide to change areas. That is why I am trying to decide on which city. You guys are really such a help!
If you're going to be working on M'boro Rd., you may want to look at Mt. Juliet, east of Nashville. The commute would be better than Hendersonville or Franklin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville