U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 06:41 AM

1,284 posts, read 2,103,062 times

Advertisements

If I were on a vacation I'd want to be closer to vacation type features of Nashville and I just don't see any of those near Bell Rd and 24 in Antioch. What kinds of things will you be doing in town? When my kids were little, we liked to stay near the attractions because you never know when kids will need to go back to the room and take a nap or just a break. You also get the chance to walk to a few things and possibly not need to drive, park, etc. The Courtyard by Marriott downtown is nice. Vanderbilt is one of our biggest customers and my out of town coworkers stay there a lot.

The pro/con battle over Antioch goes on and on and on. I haven't lived here long enough to know...I get my nails done in Antioch and drive thru the Bell Rd/24 area...all I can say based on that is it's not the most convenient area to the typical vacation outings...but maybe you're not taking a typical vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 07:06 AM

6,291 posts, read 15,813,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjb97 View Post
The address is Bell Road. It looks like it's right by I-24. It's by the Hickory Hollow Mall.
There's another Country Inns on the other side of I-24. I don't get out that way very much anymore, and the area has changed a lot in just the past few years, but it used to be the Bell Road areas west of I-24 was still pretty nice (I had a friend who lived in an apartment in that area).

For a place to stay during a vacation to Nashville, I probably wouldn't have even thought of that area, not so much because you couldn't find something reasonably nice there somewhere (it is a fairly large area, after all), but because there are other places closer in that would be more convenient for someone visiting. It's not "way far away" from things, but there are a lot of hotels and inns here (with a variety of price ranges); you might as well pick one that's convenient to what you're planning to see and do. I-24 carries a lot of traffic during rush hours, by the way.

If you still want to stay at a Country Inns, you might check and see if you can find reviews for the other one on Bell Road. It's a half-mile or so west of I-24.

Last edited by alleycat; 10-20-2009 at 07:15 AM..

Old 10-20-2009, 01:51 PM

75 posts, read 127,546 times
Quote:
...but the reviews for the hotel are great online. Does anyone have any opinions on the area the hotel is in? We are travelling with two small children and wouldn't want to be in a bad neighborhood...Thanks.
cbjb97,

Mapquest could not find the address, and Googlemaps showed a location where I know there is no hotel, so I called them. They are on a private road, about 1,000 feet back from Bell Road, and neither mapping site shows that road since it's not a public street. I do know where the building is. The location IS convenient to the Interstate and I'm sure they have good rates. There is also a traffic light to get out onto Bell Road, which the hotels on the other side of the Interstate lack. I don't think you would feel unsafe coming and going from your hotel.

The best family restaurant in the area, Cracker Barrel has closed. There is a Red Lobster nearby, and a Chucky Cheese for the kids, a Shoney's and an IHOP.

The problem I see with the location is that it is a long narrow building in a long narrow strip of land that is sandwiched between the Interstate and the railroad, one of the main lines. It's no more than 120 to 150 feet from either. Noise might be a problem. When I stay at a place that is very close to the Interstate, I ask for a room on the back side. That would put you next to the train tracks in this building.

If you'll tell us more about the places in Nashville you are interested in visiting, locals can suggest alternative hotels that are similarly priced.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:30 PM

160 posts, read 318,662 times
Would I go to HH Mall at night? No.
Would I go to the movie theater there at night? No.

I stayed at the Hampton Inn near HH Mall before I moved to Nashville about 2 years ago and it was fine.

Would I have any reservations about staying at a hotel that has recieved good reviews in the area? NO! There was a security guard patroling the area, just like at most big city hotels I've stayed at. I felt perfectly safe the whole time.

Just be smart. Don't go walking around after dark by yourself. Don't flash your cash. Don't let your kids play by the interstate.

Enjoy your vacation.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:55 PM

10 posts, read 12,543 times
Thank you all for the different insights to the area. I will explain a little more about our vacation. We visited Nashville last year and stayed at a Holiday Inn off of Briley Parkway. I think it was on a road called Elm Hill Pike?? I have NO complaints about the hotel it was great. This time, however, we are coming down for about 10 days so we wanted to find a hotel that has suites. We thought it would be great to have a fridge, stove and microwave - along with a separate sleeping area for the kids...What an idea!!

I found the Country Inn in Antioch because it had all of these things as well as an indoor pool at a great price. Now I see some of the reasons possibly for that...The reviews for the Inn online are great.

Driving 10-20 minutes to get to Nashville doesn't really bother us. We live in a rural area and we drive that far from home to get anywhere....

I will check out a couple of the other hotels posted and see if the rates may be comparable.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:03 PM

2,866 posts, read 6,177,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveastnashville View Post
Yeah because well kept lawns and clean suburban shopping centers are so terrifying.
I go to East Nashville. I find it to be a Miniture Greenwich Village in New York, but anywhere near that Mall is not all that safe. Personally, I would not stay there. Its not the Hispanics as I do go to stores on Nolensville Road. Why do you think Dillards moved out of there?
Diane G

Metro Police patch

* Metro Nashville Police Department
* Media Releases

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 29 , 2006

The shoplifting suspect shot during a scuffle with a Tennessee State Trooper in the parking lot of Hickory Hollow Mall Thursday night is identified as a 21-year-old Tennessee State University student from Las Vegas, Nevada. Efforts are continuing to locate his next of kin in Nevada. He is in critical condition at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

Trooper Aussie Thaxter, 41, who fired his state-issued gun one time, was treated at Vanderbilt for injuries sustained when he was dragged by the suspect’s car. He was released during the night.

Thaxter was working an off-duty security job at Dillard’s department store in a THP utility uniform when he was notified by an employee of a suspiciously acting man in the men’s department who was carrying several designer shirts and said he would be paying for them in another area of the store. While in Thaxter’s view, the man fled from the store to the parking lot carrying the shirts. Thaxter gave chase and ordered him to stop.

The man got into a Plymouth Breeze sedan that was backed into a handicapped parking space. As the suspect started the motor, Thaxter reached into the car through the open door in an effort to turn off the ignition. He was unsuccessful and the suspect put the car in gear and began to pull away with Thaxter still partly inside. Thaxter was dragged for about 20 yards before he managed to fire a shot. The suspect was hit in the neck and Thaxter fell to the pavement. The Plymouth continued on, entered a bank parking lot and came to rest against the bank building. A Metro officer who was in the mall was told of the commotion and rushed to the bank parking lot. He immediately radioed for an ambulance.

The investigation into the shooting is being headed by the Metro Police Department’s Homicide Unit. The THP’s Criminal Investigation Division, the TBI and an investigator from the District Attorney’s Office are assisting. The full investigative report will be forwarded to District Attorney General Torry Johnson for review when it is completed.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:05 PM

2,866 posts, read 6,177,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveastnashville View Post
wow you are funny
Why Funny? I just gave Hotel Links. I do now what I am doing. I book Travel for a Nashvlle Agency.

Diane G

Old 10-20-2009, 04:09 PM

5,348 posts, read 9,420,358 times
Diane, I am reading the TN forum!!! You never know, I may be in your backyard soon!!

Now come on and visit us back in NJ

To the OP , Diane says it like it is, take her advise, she is originally a jersey gal and they dont hold back!! You know Diane, the only thing that is mentioned lately in the NJ forum is UNEMPLOYMENT, I dont see that in the TN forum. I think your on to something!!

Old 10-20-2009, 04:30 PM

231 posts, read 590,847 times
Drive another few miles east on I-24 and stay in Smyrna, its approx 20 minutes to downtown. Clean, safe and quiet....

Old 10-20-2009, 05:37 PM

1,781 posts, read 3,314,377 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the different insights to the area. I will explain a little more about our vacation. We visited Nashville last year and stayed at a Holiday Inn off of Briley Parkway. I think it was on a road called Elm Hill Pike?? I have NO complaints about the hotel it was great. This time, however, we are coming down for about 10 days so we wanted to find a hotel that has suites. We thought it would be great to have a fridge, stove and microwave - along with a separate sleeping area for the kids...What an idea!!

I found the Country Inn in Antioch because it had all of these things as well as an indoor pool at a great price. Now I see some of the reasons possibly for that...The reviews for the Inn online are great.

Driving 10-20 minutes to get to Nashville doesn't really bother us. We live in a rural area and we drive that far from home to get anywhere....

I will check out a couple of the other hotels posted and see if the rates may be comparable.

I'd go back over to the Elm Hill Pike area. There are other hotels in that area that would suit your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville