U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-22-2009, 12:22 PM

549 posts, read 826,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjb97 View Post
We will be visiting from upstate NY. We live in the Catskill mountains in a very rural area. If it wasn't for the snow and the extremely high taxes, I would probably be happy here...
Yeah, I have heard of Catskill. Either there is some gaming up there or folks are trying to put gaming up there. I was in Albany about 2yrs ago for a conference. Just missed the snow storms. One came in the week prior and just as I was leaving. Phew.

Nashville has snow occasionally, but clearly not as bad as upstate NY. I work with a few people from Buffalo. Burrr... The bad storms are not snow, but ice. It can make for some tricky driving as well as walking!

I hope you enjoy your vacation. Nashville is a great place to relax.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Both my children live in Murfreesboro. My daughter is a student there and has an off campus apt.She was at a Country Cafe in Christina out in the country when the tornado hit. If it hit that cafe it would surely be a scene from the Wizzard of Oz. My son was in a safe room at the Verizon call center, where he works. His apt was fine, which is near the call center.

I hope you are not calling the part of Brentwood/Davdson , between Old Hickory and Holt road a bad area. Houses there are in High 300s-400S. If you think that is bad you are a snob. I live in a subdivision off of holt Rd, 1/4 of a mile from Brentwood/Williamson county border. Its like a country road there.
There have been warnings, but I never saw an actual tornado since I moved here. I have seen 2 in my life, one in Erin, TN(1970) on a friends farm that had an actual tornado shelter , was a F0. The other in a Suburban NJ town(2002), which was an F2. It took off roofs of homes, and flipped a mini van. Trees were down for miles. It also flipped a Home Construction trailer.

Diane G
No, more between Nolensville Pike and Old Hickory. That area is technically Brentwood too. And, I guess I am a snob because home prices don't really impress me- never have. Clean homes impress me more.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:29 PM

3,537 posts, read 5,122,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
Yeah, I have heard of Catskill. Either there is some gaming up there or folks are trying to put gaming up there. I was in Albany about 2yrs ago for a conference. Just missed the snow storms. One came in the week prior and just as I was leaving. Phew.

Nashville has snow occasionally, but clearly not as bad as upstate NY. I work with a few people from Buffalo. Burrr... The bad storms are not snow, but ice. It can make for some tricky driving as well as walking!

I hope you enjoy your vacation. Nashville is a great place to relax.

I'm originally from New Jersey and when it does snow here, the roads are worse than in the Northeast because we have about 1 salt truck for all of Nashville and a bunch of drivers who have no idea how to drive in snow.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:29 PM

2,866 posts, read 6,185,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
No, more between Nolensville Pike and Old Hickory. That area is technically Brentwood too. And, I guess I am a snob because home prices don't really impress me- never have. Clean homes impress me more.
That area is not Brentwood. Where old Hickory Blvd meets nolensville road its Nashville. There are no houses there, just shopping Centers. That area has also improved in the last year. Lowes and a new Walmart supercenter opened up there. Along Nolensville Road you now have Lenox Village, which is homes, Condos, and Townhouses. It also has shops and restaurants. Many changes have taken place since I moved here. Nolensville now has many upscale high priced homes while it was once the country.
I'm a cleaning nut so I don't like dirty houses either.

Diane G

Old 10-22-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
That area is not Brentwood. Where old Hickory Blvd meets nolensville road its Nashville. There are no houses there, just shopping Centers. That area has also improved in the last year. Lowes and a new Walmart supercenter opened up there. Along Nolensville Road you now have Lenox Village, which is homes, Condos, and Townhouses. It also has shops and restaurants. Many changes have taken place since I moved here. Nolensville now has many upscale high priced homes while it was once the country.
I'm a cleaning nut so I don't like dirty houses either.

Diane G
Locals refer to the part closer to Old Hickory as Brentwood and have for many years. Brandywine apts claim to be a part of Brentwood. True, they don't have the 37027 zip- they have a Nashville zip, but they advertise "come home to Brentwood." I was a little shocked when I went there many years ago and they said Brentwood too. There is also an area just east of that called Villages of Brentwood.

I really don't care where the boundaries are. Brentwood doesn't impress me either though I used to work and have lived in Brentwood. The reason I lived there was because of the Franklin City Schools. Williamson Cty is one of the best school systems in TN. In a way, I wish I had stayed, but in another way, it was a real drag to drive from Vandy to Franklin everyday!

Here's a map I found of the boundaries for the 37027 zip. 37027 in Brentwood Tennessee, 37027 ZIP Code Guide and Business Directory.

Here's a listing of apts and other places that refer to themselves as Brentwood. Edmondson Elementary School Apartments For Rent - Creekside, Nashville, Tennessee

A little trivia for you --- Burt Reynolds starred in WW & the Dixie Dance Kings. In the beginning of the movie, WW is driving down an old country road and stops at a convenience store. That was filmed at Concord and Wilson Pike. The store stood there for many years, vacant, after the filming. They finally tore it down and built a new service station. The old bridge he crossed was replaced with a newer bridge. The old bridge was to the south. When my grandfather used to drive over it I was scared to death! The planks that laid on it moved as you drove over it! I like the new concrete bridge better.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 602 times
Antioch has gone to the crapper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville