Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 12:44 PM

549 posts, read 1,380,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjb97 View Post
We are planning a vacation to Nashville next spring. We booked a room at The Country Inn and Suites in Antioch. I have been reading horrible things about this town, but the reviews for the hotel are great online. Does anyone have any opinions on the area the hotel is in? We are travelling with two small children and wouldn't want to be in a bad neighborhood...Thanks.
Hello cbjb97:

I'm a Nashville native and have read your posts on this thread. Although I don't live in Nashville anymore (in Vegas now and don't like it) I would like to comment on some of the views of the city. I think you'll enjoy where you have decided to stay and there are good part and 'bad' parts of Brentwood too. But, where you've decided to stay is a relatively 'good' area.

As for Antioch, I lived in Antioch for 10 years and my sister has lived in Antioch for over 20 years. There are 'pockets' of Antioch that are 'bad' and other parts good. I remember when Hickory Hollow Mall was new in the early 80's (does that give away my age?) LOL From when it was new to today it has some wear and tear. There is a lot more crime, in fact, I was at the store when a little girl was shot and killed. Too bad the DA didn't check the whereabouts of their 'key' witness, but that's another story.

As for Cool Springs Mall, it is still a relatively new area. I suggest you catch the trolley at the mall and go for a trip to downtown Franklin. It's pretty cheap and fun for kids. tmagroup.org - Franklin Transit Authority Home Page (http://www.tmagroup.org/trolley/ - broken link)

No matter where you go on a vacation, don't forget to keep your head up and stay alert. As a native, I've been to just about every part of Nashville that some folks would not ever dream of visiting because a white girl sticks out in certain ethnic areas like a sore thumb. I attended nursing school at TSU, a predominately black university. I worked at Vanderbilt Medical Center which is located only 4-5 blocks from the Edgehill projects. I lived in Park Wood when I was young, moved to Madison, and my parents now live close to the Whites Creek/Goodlettsville area.

Some folks in Brentwood & Franklin are transplants themselves from different parts of the country. Real estate in those areas are costly. It's funny, because I remember when Maryland Farms used to actually have horses in the barns! My great uncle was a horse trainer there. My other great uncle was the black smith. It was kind of weird to walk into the country club and realize that some of the upscale rooms were originally horse stalls! LOL

Please in the spring, keep an eye out for tornatic activity. Southern part of Nashville including Brentwood seem to get a lot more tornadoes that touch down than most other areas. I remember before Cool Springs was built and the printing company sat where Cool Springs is now, a tornado came through and wiped out brand new developments in that area. I remember when the tornado hit downtown and a tourist from Boston was actually standing outside filming the darn thing! I remember her saying on the video, "Is that a tornado?" I was like, "Yeah, it's a tornado! Why are you standing there filming?! Get inside!"

Again, no matter where you go, just keep your eyes open and stay alert. You can be in the best of neighborhoods and someone act stupid.

Last edited by sierramadre44; 10-21-2009 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 03:12 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,134 times
I personally don't find Antioch scary at all. I go to the movie theater at Hickory Hollow Mall all the time by myself & with friends at night, especially now that it's only $1.50 & have NEVER had a problem or felt scared. I also lived just down the road from HH mall at Timberlake Village for 3.5 years & liked the area a lot.

Different strokes for different folks.

The news story Diane posted was from over 3 years ago, if we googled, we could probably find something we'd all rather not see from most of the malls around Nashville, but that doesn't keep me from visiting them.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:56 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Where is there a bad section of Brentwood? How long have you been gone?
I live in Nashville, right over the Brentwood line and I'm in Brentwood Everyday, not far from that hotel.My church is right on Franklin Road, about 2 min from the hotel. I have never seen a bad part of Brentwood.
I also remember when Maryland Farms was a horse farm. It was owned by 1 person , which had a large house , and the farm. I went to college in Clarksville in the early 70s and took rides to this area.
The girl that does my nails lives in Antioch but not near the mall. She lives in an area that borders Nashville by Percy Priest lake. That Area and also the Cane Ridge parts of Antioch are safe.
The Mall is more than old, in the last 3 years its deteriated. Lets say the clothes in it are what you would wear to a gang fight.
Also Brentwood is not the area where the Tornados have been concentrated in the 3 years I have been living here, not counting college. That would be Clarksville, Castillian Springs, Hendersonville and north of the city. Murfreesboro had a bad one this year.

Diane G

Old 10-21-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I live in Nashville, right over the Brentwood line and I'm in Brentwood Everyday, not far from that hotel.My church is right on Franklin Road, about 2 min from the hotel. I have never seen a bad part of Brentwood.
I also remember when Maryland Farms was a horse farm. It was owned by 1 person , which had a large house , and the farm. I went to college in Clarksville in the early 70s and took rides to this area.
The girl that does my nails lives in Antioch but not near the mall. She lives in an area that borders Nashville by Percy Priest lake. That Area and also the Cane Ridge parts of Antioch are safe.
The Mall is more than old, in the last 3 years its deteriated. Lets say the clothes in it are what you would wear to a gang fight.
Also Brentwood is not the area where the Tornados have been concentrated in the 3 years I have been living here, not counting college. That would be Clarksville, Castillian Springs, Hendersonville and north of the city. Murfreesboro had a bad one this year.

Diane G
There is a part off of Edmonson Pike that while it still has the name "Brentwood" it is not as good an area as some think when they mention Brentwood. Most of the other parts of Brentwood are pretty rural.

I've been living in Vegas for 10 years, but I do get back home for different occasions. Most recently for my grandmothers funeral. She lived in Frankline for 50+years. I'll probably visit again in May as my niece is graduating from Antioch HS. She used to go to JFK middle school which the kids dubbed Jail For Kids! LOL

My nephew told me once he had been suspended from JFK. I was ready to give him a lecture about fighting or doing something similar and stupid. He was suspended for forgetting his ID badge for school! No wonder they dubbed it Jail For Kids!

We had horses on my grand parents farm in Franklin. My grandfather was a thoroughbred owner, which is how I came to go to Maryland Farms. He owned horses, his brother trained them, and his other brother was the blacksmith. My sister and I raced in the Iroquois sometime in the 70's, don't exactly remember, but my mom still has the program. The Menefees were the organizers back then. Don't know about now.

Yup, my sister lives VERY close to Percy Priest -- so close the mosquitos LOVE her in the summer. Yup, Cane Ridge is a nice area and mostly rural too-- that I recall.

Yup, a few of my parents friends were hit by the one in the Boro last year. I'm just saying, you can never tell where the tornados are going to roll through, but Brentwood/Franklin have had their share. Yup, Gallatin got hit about 2 years back and tore up Vol State. Believe me, I sit on pins and needles when bad weather rolls in Nashville.

Of course, being that I'm Vegas, I usually tell my folks that bad weather is heading their way because it will usually cross over us first then in about 2 days hit Nashville. Unless, of course, it is coming up from the Gulf.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:09 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post

Diane G
I have worked in Brentwood for 10 yrs, and the last 3 years we have emptied the building we are in on several occasions due to the tornados in the area. One day this Spring we spent half the day in the stairwells. There has been a lot more tornado activity than when I first started working there.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:57 PM

10 posts, read 20,496 times
Our reason for coming is just that we love Tennessee. This is our third year in a row. The first year we went to Pigeon Forge/Knoxville and this will be our second year in Nashville. We love country music. My husband was in a band for years and my daughter has won a few local singing competitions at just 9 years old. I'm very proud of her. So, to take a family vacation to Nashville seems right for us....If we could move to Tennessee, we would do it in a heartbeat, but we own our house here so.....

Old 10-21-2009, 08:06 PM

I just read the posts about the tornadic activity. We were actually in Nashville this year when the tornado hit Murfreesboro. We were in the visitor's center which is located in the front of the Sommet Center. The sirens were going off and of course my children were "freaking out" because we don't have anything like that around here. It was actually ironic that we happened to be in the one ALL glass building in the city, but the people there were great and told us if the tornado got any closer then we would be moved to a tunnel that is under the building. We felt so bad for the people that we effected by the tornado. So sad.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I just read the posts about the tornadic activity. We were actually in Nashville this year when the tornado hit Murfreesboro. We were in the visitor's center which is located in the front of the Sommet Center. The sirens were going off and of course my children were "freaking out" because we don't have anything like that around here. It was actually ironic that we happened to be in the one ALL glass building in the city, but the people there were great and told us if the tornado got any closer then we would be moved to a tunnel that is under the building. We felt so bad for the people that we effected by the tornado. So sad.
Where is "around here?" Where are you coming from to visit Nashville.

The tornadoes are a concern, but as I say, at least most of the time you can see them coming and get out of the way. I moved to Vegas in June of '99 and experienced my first earth quake in July of '99. Talk about SCARY!!! The rumble of the earth was LOUD! When it first started I thought someone was actually climbing through the window as the blinds were swaying. Then I realized it wasn't a break-in!

I remember April 16, 1998 as clear as it was yesterday. We, the entire city of Nashville and surrounding counties, were under at least 16hrs of tornado warnings. My older daughter was in elementary school and my younger daughter daycare. I thought to myself, "What am I doing here at work?" I packed up and started out of the medical center. The sky was eerie quiet with a slight breeze. Usually you'd hear the birds and hustle bustle, but that day was very different. You could just feel it wasn't normal. Within the hour of me leaving downtown, an F3 hit Nashville.

I lived in Nashville 35years before moving out here. In that time, I have never actually seen a tornado. Got close once when we lived in Murfreesboro when I was attending MTSU. The apts where we lived had been damaged the year before and a big storm came over. Hail pounded the building and I grabbed the kids and headed for the tub. It passed over us, but touch down about 15 miles later. That was close enough.

The best thing about Nashville in the Spring is the wildlife and flowers coming into bloom. I like to go to Logans Roadhouse and get some of their peanuts. Peanuts? Yup, peanuts. Then we take those and go to Vandy or Peabody campus to feed the almost tame squirrels! The kids love to see them come around and nearly feed from your hands.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:38 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:
Both my children live in Murfreesboro. My daughter is a student there and has an off campus apt.She was at a Country Cafe in Christina out in the country when the tornado hit. If it hit that cafe it would surely be a scene from the Wizzard of Oz. My son was in a safe room at the Verizon call center, where he works. His apt was fine, which is near the call center.

I hope you are not calling the part of Brentwood/Davdson , between Old Hickory and Holt road a bad area. Houses there are in High 300s-400S. If you think that is bad you are a snob. I live in a subdivision off of holt Rd, 1/4 of a mile from Brentwood/Williamson county border. Its like a country road there.
There have been warnings, but I never saw an actual tornado since I moved here. I have seen 2 in my life, one in Erin, TN(1970) on a friends farm that had an actual tornado shelter , was a F0. The other in a Suburban NJ town(2002), which was an F2. It took off roofs of homes, and flipped a mini van. Trees were down for miles. It also flipped a Home Construction trailer.

Diane G

Old 10-22-2009, 06:48 AM

We will be visiting from upstate NY. We live in the Catskill mountains in a very rural area. If it wasn't for the snow and the extremely high taxes, I would probably be happy here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville