Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 07:16 PM

15 posts, read 45,295 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are from Long Island, New York and had visited Tennessee a month ago with the possibility of relocating. While down there, we met with two realtors and pounded the pavement of Franklin and Brentwood. We are actually going back down this month with our three little ones to look at more houses in the Brentwood area. It seems that many people keep suggesting that we try to find a house on the west side of I65 because of convience to everything and the Scales Elementary School is very desirable. They say the resale value is better over there. My husband and I tend to like the older homes on that side, but there are beautiful homes on the east side as well. What about the other elementary schools such as Edmonson and Lipscomb? And also, how about Ravenwood High School? I do believe as everyone has said that the Williamson County schools are the best, but I just want to make sure the move for my little ones (5,4, and 20 mos.) is a good one because this move is for their future life in Tennessee. Thanks for any information that will help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 08:08 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,832 times
I grew up in Nashville, and know the area quite well. I live in Chattanooga now, but my sister and her family live in Brentwood.

The information you have been given is fairly accurate, but I'd say that the east side has really come along in the past decade. There are lots of professional families, and I'd say the elementary schools are on par on both sides. I think there may be some differences on the HS level by the different zones, but I understand Edmondson Elementary is very good (My cousin and his physician wife have three children there). I think Brentwood HS has a REALLY great reputation, but Ravenwood is too new for me to know. It has a very nice facility.

It sounds like you have done your homework (no pun), and you probably won't go wrong with either side. I cannot emphasize how much the east side has changed, at least away from the rural way it used to be. It has brought much of the same type of development that existed on the west. Also, I know that Nolensville (to the southeast) is becoming a popular area for young professional families.

I'm not trying to steer you in any one direction, I just think you should look at your time horizon in the house and the style of house you like (sounds like you have found some that you like very much on the east side). What it all boils down to is that everywhere in Brentwood is a prestigious address (more so than Franklin even)... and its elected officials know what it means to have all the schools being top notch. Personally, I've never heard of anyone saying that one side is necessarily better as far as homes and status are concerned.

So I think it will come down to high schools (Ravenwood vs. B'wood) and if you think you'll be staying in this new house for the duration of your children's education. Good luck and welcome to Tennessee.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:06 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Everyone I know that has HS children swears by Ravenwood HS. I know someone that even moved that was in the Brentwood so that her son could attend Ravenwood. A lot I know live off of Concord Road. Ravenwood is also the HS of Nolensville which is becoming popular.

Diane G

Old 11-01-2009, 09:51 AM

451 posts, read 1,371,829 times
I've heard that Crockett Elementary is a great school

Old 11-01-2009, 12:19 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
I wouldn't buy a house thinking I was going to be zoned for a certain school. Even in the current market the county is adding schools. Zoning is constantly changing.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:26 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
I agree with the above poster, there are so many children in this area that the school get rezoned pretty often. I have 3 children, 2 of which are at Edmondson and we love it. It is a great school. My oldest spent Kindergarten in private school and the education he is receiving at Edmondson is much better. Parts of the Edmondson district are right by I-65, so they are very convenient to Nashville/Brentwood business/Cool Springs. Parts of the Scales disctrict can be in hard to access areas. So you really have to consider each house, not the district as a whole. I don't think you can go wrong in Brentwood. The schools here are great. We avoided Sunset just because it was new when we moved, but we heat good things about it also. Most of Edmondson and all of Lipscomb are zoned for Brentwood High. Ravenwood has an excellent reputation. But I really wouldn't get attached to a high school since your children are so young and they rezone so often.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:46 PM

Thanks for all the information everyone. Now, can you tell me if there really is a Brentwood - Franklin rivalry. The reason that I ask is that the last time we visited Brentwood in the summer a couple of Brentwood High School students did not have the nicest things to say about Franklin High. In fact, they actually said it was "ghetto". I know there is always competition, but I was a little surprised. Also, another school spoken about was Page High. I heard pretty good things. I do know everything is subjective, but what is the real talk among the people of Williamson County.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:58 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,832 times
I don't know. Thirty years ago (when I was in HS), most of those schools did not exist. I'll try to think and ask my sister up in that area. When I was a kid in the 70s, Brentwood had just Maryland Farms, and Franklin was virtually self-contained out in the boondocks. It was still pretty much "horse country". Cool Springs was built around 1991-2, and the whole area between the two cities saw explosive growth. To give you an idea, I think there were about 50K residents in all of WilCo in 1980... 85K in 1990... and 125K in 2000. The population is projected to be more than 175K in the next census. So I'd guess that if there is a rivalry between areas, it's based on schools, not city-vs-city. Brentwood is relatively young as a city, but it has long been a wealthy horse breeding area (more like an extension of southwest Davidson County). It also still requires 1-acre lots for the houses. So there might be a sense that Franklin is a "Step down" in the eyes of one "brat" from Brentwood. But Franklin is no slouch in the real estate area. Long a hub of the county, it has its own identity beyond that of just being a "nice suburb" of Nashville. Although, it is quite nice.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:43 PM

2 posts, read 5,153 times
Don't overlook the suburb of Brenthaven in Brentwood. You have Lipscomb Elementary, a park, a fantastic library and a YMCA on the north (Concord Rd) side that you can walk/bike to from the neighborhood without getting on busy roads, and then all the shopping and office space in Cool Springs is to the immediate south. And theres a paved trail that rund from the park down the eastern edge that leads to Crocket Park. The homes generally are oldest (early 70's ranches) against I-65 but get newer (even new construction) as you move eastward. Prices from $250,000 at the interstate to over a million dollars.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the information everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville