Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 09:34 PM

41 posts, read 183,697 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I'm a 22-yr-old student at scottsdale community college majoring in film production and music business. I am considering moving to Nashville to continue my education in music business, and of course Nashville is the best place to do so! I am not near completion of either major, but am ready to get out of Phoenix lol.

What I need is some advice as far as what schools should I look into, including community colleges. Price is kind of an issue right now considering I already have my fair share of loan debt from previously attending Arizona St. I know of Belmont, but if it's private then it won't work out for me unfortunately. I've also considered Berklee online.

Also, what is the job market like? I'm sure it's really competitive music-industry but any advice in that category?? I'm also not trying to make it as a musician. And I love country music, if that makes a difference, but it's not all I listen to

I was also wondering if anyone knows a lot about getting a part-time job in radio? Would it be possible to work for a radio station as a student?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 11:24 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
Um, I'd recommend confirming a job before you move here, even if it's just a part-time job (look at locations around the music industry). THe job market is not good... as is the case almost everywhere. Belmont U. is private, but I wouldn't rule out a school just because of that... it is supposedly very well regarded for its film production curriculum. A friend of mine has a son who is heading to Belmont next fall. He plans to enter that very field. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:25 PM

41 posts, read 183,697 times
I mentioned the no-go when it comes to a private school because private schools = more $$$. Yes I would believe that Belmont is a good school, no doubt

Old 11-19-2009, 09:22 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
I know what you mean, but let me tell you from my own experience that private schools can cost less than public schools if you "hit it" right. Fifteen years ago, I applied to several graduate schools including UNC Chapel Hill and (on a lark) Duke University. When I got accepted by them, I compared their financial aid and discovered that Duke would actually be cheaper.

So good luck.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:26 PM

160 posts, read 502,881 times
If you want in the music buisness in Nashville then Belmont is the way you make connections. Suck it up, take out the loans, work the long hours. If you really want to be in the music buisness then to do it half-heartedly.
While I'm not in the music biz, I have lots of friends who are (I'm sure most nashvillians do). It is tough to get your foot in the door, not just as a musician but as anything. That's why Belmont is so great, because of the connections they have and that you'll make there.
Best of luck-if this is what you want dive in head first and start swimming as fast as you can!
NOTE: I never attended Belmont or have any affiliation with them, it's just that most of my music biz friends that didn't rise up the musician ranks came through Belmont.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:04 PM

144 posts, read 465,716 times
Middle Tennessee State University offers music business degrees. There's also a pretty good film production industry here. My husband is currently working on a Sony/Screen Gems movie. I know a bunch of other kids that work as PA's on a pretty regular basis. For your two interests, Nashville is probably ideal because the cost of living is great here compared with other cities with strong music and film industries.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:09 AM

12 posts, read 23,425 times
based off of what you've said, MTSU would probably be your best choice. I graduated from the mass comm program where they have a highle regarded recording industry program and electronic media progam. M'boro is 30 minutes from Nashville so idk if that is the drive you are looking for...but the cost of living is considerably cheaper. They have a ton of nice student apartments (not owned by the school) that offer all fully furnished all inclusive rent for cheap. I had a 1 bedroom apt furnished, with cable, water, electric for 600 a month.

as far as working in a radio station...it is possible, but you have to work. Here in Tennessee media jobs are scarce and hard to come by. The people in those positions tend to stay there for a while because of that. Not saying you won't find a radio job, it will just be difficult ( i know my mother works for a nashville station and they never hire)...you might have to start in college radio where the chances would be a bit easier and you'll still get the work experience. MTSU has 2 stations, a Jazz/NPR station, and student-led (where they play their own music) they also have a tv station. Vandy also has a station and so does Belmont and i don't think you have to be a student to work there...not sure though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: