Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2007, 07:42 AM

439 posts, read 1,256,699 times

Advertisements

We are maybe thinking of buying 1-2 acres of land, but have never had a custom home built before. We have had new homes built in subdivisions by the builder that is already there. So we don't have a clue of what to do if we go custom. For those that have done it, is it a nightmar? And does anyone know of a good builder?

Debbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 07:53 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
We are maybe thinking of buying 1-2 acres of land, but have never had a custom home built before. We have had new homes built in subdivisions by the builder that is already there. So we don't have a clue of what to do if we go custom. For those that have done it, is it a nightmar? And does anyone know of a good builder?

Debbie
I've never actually had a house built for myself, but I used to draw house plans as a sideline and oversee part of the construction, so I'm familiar with the process.

Having a house built using anything more than a stock spec house plan can be quite an adventure. Things go wrong, there are misunderstanding, the wrong fixtures are delivered, things takes much longer than expected, the plumbers won't come when they said they would, you change you mind after seeing something installed and want it changed, etc., etc., etc. Someone pretty much has to devote a large block of their time to the process for about six months. Have you got the time and patience? What you end up with can be wonderful and worth all the time and trouble, but you need to be aware of what it takes going into the project.

And, one big warning: get a release for materials and sub-contractors before you pay the general contractor for that portion of the work. In a few rare cases, people have paid for a house only to have a lien put on it by the suppliers and then they literally have to buy their own house again.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:16 AM

439 posts, read 1,256,699 times
OMG that does sound like a nightmare thanks.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:42 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
It would go a lot easier if you use one of the builder's stock plans (and some of those are nice), and only make a minimum of changes to the plan. And, of course, the simpler the house you're talking about, the simpler the process.

If you really don't think you can find a house you'd like, or if you've always wanted a certain "dream home", or happened to find the perfect piece of raw land, then having a custom house built isn't out of the question. It just takes more effort, more time, and way more patience.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:34 PM

23 posts, read 57,343 times
Check out Achten Builders

Achten Construction Co., Inc

steve

Old 06-15-2007, 03:07 PM

177 posts, read 613,945 times
Try Superior Homes. They are two brothers based out of Murfrreesboro. My parents are getting their house built by them. I watched this whole saga unfold and was pretty depressed. Every builder they went to had a set of plans for them to choose from...and the limitations were ridiculous.

These guys are amazing! I haven't seen any homes compare to what these guys do. They are kind of a hidden gem. Not many people know about them. But they were the ONLY builders my parents found that could take the housplan my mother was dreaming about and make it a reality. These guys rock!

Here's a link to their site:
Home (broken link)

Old 06-16-2007, 07:06 AM

627 posts, read 1,846,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMissall View Post
Check out Achten Builders

Achten Construction Co., Inc

steve
Posts like this is why we need some active moderation on this board. The post is awful, nothing but spam from a realtor.

The website linked doesn't have any information about inventory or any homes that the company has built. For all we know, they haven't built a thing and you are the builder's brother-in-law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville