Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaLovesNY View Post
New York is the best place in the entire United States. I am from Cleveland but have loved going to New York for over 20 years. I can't help but love Queens, Tappan, White Plains. The pizza...oh my gosh...the pizza.

Because New York is out of my price range, I have never been able to completely relocate there. I am now considering moving to Tennessee, I'm just not sure where I will fit in, except with New Yorkers. I have read that the highest italian population is in Buena Vista, Tennessee, however, I also have read that there are a lot of italians in Franklin. The true italians are either from Italy or from New York.
Is there anything over than price that's attracting you to Tennessee? Because if you want a city that is anything like New York or even Cleveland, or you want a substantial concentration of Italians, or you want East Coast-style pizza, or you want to be surrounded by New Yorkers or even people remotely like New Yorkers...

...You probably should not move to Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 11:12 PM

701 posts, read 2,030,837 times
I know a few Connecticut/NY transplants in Chattanooga.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:54 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I've never even heard of Buena Vista, TN. I must travel to see this place full of ex-pat New Yawkers!

There is a burgeoning group of people of Italian heritage in Franklin, but it's not like we're recruiting them or anything.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvi...nt?oid=2314766

Last edited by JMT; 03-06-2012 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: Removed response to a post that has been removed.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:58 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I've never even heard of Buena Vista, TN. I must travel to see this place full of ex-pat New Yawkers!
2010 census data says there are 476 people there. Sounds New York-like.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:12 PM

455 posts, read 1,140,378 times
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say "If you think NYC is the best place in the United States, you will not like Nashville."

If you think NYC is too expensive and you're just looking for a NY-like place that's less pricey, I'd suggest other dense cities like Philadelphia, Baltimore, Boston, Providence, Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc. (Maybe the cities in Ohio qualify too? I've honestly only driven through.)

Now as for Italian culture in Nashville, we've got City House (modern Italian in Germantown), Lazzaroli's (fresh pasta and sauces in Germantown) and Savarino's Cucina (cannolis in Hillsboro Village). That's about it, as far as I can tell.

If you want to be surrounded by Italians and Italian culture in the U.S., my suggestion is to live in the North End of Boston, Bensonhurst Brooklyn or South Philadelphia. I think there are also parts of Providence and San Francisco (North Beach maybe?) that have heavily Italian areas.

Nashville is the polar opposite of NY in every single way (weather, culture, food, pace of life, topography, density, transit, architecture, etc. etc.)

Old 03-06-2012, 02:36 PM

71 posts, read 179,635 times
I'm neither Italian nor a New Yorker... but I did grow up nearby in CT. I've been in Nashville for the past 10 years and I do miss some of that kind of food. For pizza... Joey's House of Pizza is the closest to a NY slice around here. Its owned by a New York italian family who know how to make proper pizza.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:42 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmidnight View Post
If you want to be surrounded by Italians and Italian culture in the U.S., my suggestion is to live in the North End of Boston, Bensonhurst Brooklyn or South Philadelphia. I think there are also parts of Providence and San Francisco (North Beach maybe?) that have heavily Italian areas.
Yes, we have a fairly large population of real Italians in San Francisco and many of them own or work in restaurants, in North Beach and other parts of the city.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:26 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Is there anything over than price that's attracting you to Tennessee? Because if you want a city that is anything like New York or even Cleveland, or you want a substantial concentration of Italians, or you want East Coast-style pizza, or you want to be surrounded by New Yorkers or even people remotely like New Yorkers...

...You probably should not move to Nashville.
THANK YOU - that's what I wanted to hear. I'm considering relocating to Nashville and if I thought for a second it was a haven for ex-NY'ers or had any similarities to NY - I'd be looking elsewhere! When I move to Nashville, I don't want to see any NY'ers, smell any NY'ers, eat any NY pizza or NY bagels, or hear about NY.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:49 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
"Now as for Italian culture in Nashville, we've got City House (modern Italian in Germantown), Lazzaroli's (fresh pasta and sauces in Germantown) and Savarino's Cucina (cannolis in Hillsboro Village). That's about it, as far as I can tell.
"

aaronmidnight, Add Nana Rosa in Hendersonville to that list. Great restaurant, real Italian, owners grandfather ran a Manhattan Italian restaurant for many years. I'm 1/2 Italian, detained for medical reasons in southern Ct for several months ending soon I hope, and in that time, the Italian food near me in Ct has not been close to as good as Nana BullBoxer31.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 11,322 times
I love the straight up front talk from the people on these posts. It's the same talk that I used to get, and miss, from my grandmother.

My brother has lived in Tennessee for about 10 years. He has always said that the people from Nashville, Tennessee are extremely honest and good people. If you are a giving person, and you move to Tennessee, they don't take just "to take". According to him, the people of Nashville, Tennessee 'accept with their hearts and with appreciation'. You don't find that anymore. However, you are all right who have commented about my post. I probably won't fit in because I am a city girl at heart. It is the fast pace that I love about the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville