Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 06:50 AM

13 posts, read 35,086 times

Advertisements

Hey all, based on the amount of posts in the prior thread about NYers fitting into Nashville, where are you guys from? Also, anyone know of any groups of Italians that meet & hang out in the area?

I'm originally from Brooklyn, grew up in Bay Ridge. I moved out of Brooklyn in 1987 and down to mini-NY called South Florida. I lived there until it got too overcrowded and expensive. I moved to the Nashville area in 2006, really like it and love getting back to the change of seasons and not living in an artificial place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 05:56 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,952,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjoe View Post
Hey all, based on the amount of posts in the prior thread about NYers fitting into Nashville, where are you guys from? Also, anyone know of any groups of Italians that meet & hang out in the area?

I'm originally from Brooklyn, grew up in Bay Ridge. I moved out of Brooklyn in 1987 and down to mini-NY called South Florida. I lived there until it got too overcrowded and expensive. I moved to the Nashville area in 2006, really like it and love getting back to the change of seasons and not living in an artificial place.
I made those same 2 moves. Only I left Long Island (was quite young still) and moved to South Florida. Left there a little over 2 years ago. I am also Italian, so if you do find a meet up let me know.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:00 AM

55 posts, read 182,322 times
if not, we could always make one.

i'll be joining nashville's ranks in january. my boyfriend is from your fair city, and i'm aiming to start at belmont for grad school come august born in manhattan, lived in brooklyn and westchester, back to manhattan for undergrad and then some (i'm 25).

honestly, i'm more interested in how your accent has been affected. i wouldn't mind nashville muting my ny accent, but any attempt at an aw sound (coffee, talk, etc) usually makes someone exclaim "oh where are you from?"

Old 12-10-2009, 07:30 AM

That's right, we can definitely create one!

I haven't lost my NY accent and I moved out of there over 20 years ago. Of course I'm sure living in South Florida for 19 years after NY helped sustain it since 1/2 of SoFla is from NY.

I play hockey here in Nashville, mostly local Nashville-area guys, they love my accent, plus I tend to be the loudest and most vocal guy in the locker room.

I miss NY during this time of the year, miss going by St. Patrick's Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, etc. But like I've always said, NY is an awesome place to visit. Living there is a whole new ballgame!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:37 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,914,397 times
BTW, RangerJoe, I'm from Milford, Ct, but lived in the Bronx in early 80s going to Fordham. Yes, the school which can be counted as a constant in the bottom 15% of the Basketball Sagarin ratings.

Nana Rosa is awesome, it could be at home on Belmont Ave in the Bronx.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:13 AM

3 posts, read 9,971 times
Hey there -- you mean I'm not the only one??? I lived between Manhattan and Broooklyn until just last year, and yes, my last name ends in a vowel. <G>

We should do a Brooklyn/NYC expat meet-up. Maybe between us we can come up with a decent meal!

Just thinking about NY Italian food..... I sure do miss those Brooklyn salumerias. Faiccos, A&S...
Ack. I'm drooling. Every time friends come from Brooklyn to visit, we have them bring fresh mozzarella curd so my husband can make it. It's become a rare treat.

Tell ya what -- anybody goes back to visit and brings us some fresh curd, we'll make it for you. We tried to buy some from Corriere's Formaggaria on 12S, but it just ain't the good stuff. ::::sigh:::

Old 12-13-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
BTW, RangerJoe, I'm from Milford, Ct, but lived in the Bronx in early 80s going to Fordham. Yes, the school which can be counted as a constant in the bottom 15% of the Basketball Sagarin ratings.

Nana Rosa is awesome, it could be at home on Belmont Ave in the Bronx.
Very cool. I went to SUNY Maritime in the Bronx in 1986, just under the Throgs Neck Bridge...

Old 12-13-2009, 09:07 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,259,612 times
Please keep the topic related to Nashville or the thread will have to be closed as "Chat".
Thank you

Old 12-13-2009, 09:09 AM

will do...

Old 12-13-2009, 10:24 AM

3 posts, read 9,971 times
So -- has anyone found a Nashville area salumeria? I'm in Franklin, but willing to travel for a good pinwheel sausage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville