Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:57 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I don't mean to bust your bubble but commuter rail is not a form of heavy rail. Sorry. But mind you, I do agree with your concept on what commuter rail should do down there.
Eh, I guess I mean as opposed to light rail. Looking at the definition, I see heavy rail is listed as electric...so no, that wouldn't be what I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 03:00 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
I would love to see light rail in/around Nashville. Alas, density--or lack thereof--is the real killer here.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:24 AM

88 posts, read 138,989 times
Never, never, never construct light rail. Its a huge waste of money and will not reduce commute time. You'd be far better off spending the money on more/wider highways.

Coming from MN I've been able to see how useless it is. It loses $7M/yr on operating costs on top of the billions that have been spent on construction. Its a much more expensive bus for people that think they are too good for the bus.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:27 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,154 times
Density and light rail or streetcars is a bit of a chicken and egg thing. They encourage each other. IMO it is better to plan ahead and try to direct some of the growth by utilizing smart planning for better public transportation. Nashville seems like a really nice city, but it could definitely benefit from more public transportation.

Either a streetcar or a light rail seem like the way to go in the dense downtown part of Nashville. Hopefully that would be successful and could then be expanded to some of the bigger suburbs. I know a lot of people favor BRT, and there is something to be said for that because it makes a better experience for those who use it, but it seems to me that buses just don't convert people into public transportation utilizers. Light rail and to a lesser extent streetcars do though.

When I lived in DC I loved the metro (rail) and took it everywhere, but I very rarely took the metro bus. Busses are just not that pleasant. Heavy rail is great and when heavy rail does not make sense then I think light rail is a good option. It is less noisy and doesn't produce the air pollution at the point where people interact with it.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:48 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooks35 View Post
Never, never, never construct light rail. Its a huge waste of money and will not reduce commute time. You'd be far better off spending the money on more/wider highways.

Coming from MN I've been able to see how useless it is. It loses $7M/yr on operating costs on top of the billions that have been spent on construction. Its a much more expensive bus for people that think they are too good for the bus.
I love how you didn't back up your claims

Old 07-08-2011, 10:54 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,154 times
Two more points:

First I agree with all the posts that Nashville should invest more in making its more developed areas pedestrian and bike friendly. Sidewalks should actually lead somewhere and should connect with other sidewalks.

Second, yes, light rail and streetcars lose money. City roads, bridges, street lights and interestates lose money also. Those things are all infrastructure and they are there to improve the quality of life of residents and visitors. I don't understand why people always want to see public transportation make money and they don't realize that other forms of transportation are subsidized as well. I have been on many roads in the middle of the day with absolutely no other cars around for miles and no one seems to mind that, yet people howl when they see busses or streetcars that are at less then full capacity.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:15 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Two more points:

First I agree with all the posts that Nashville should invest more in making its more developed areas pedestrian and bike friendly. Sidewalks should actually lead somewhere and should connect with other sidewalks.

Second, yes, light rail and streetcars lose money. City roads, bridges, street lights and interestates lose money also. Those things are all infrastructure and they are there to improve the quality of life of residents and visitors. I don't understand why people always want to see public transportation make money and they don't realize that other forms of transportation are subsidized as well. I have been on many roads in the middle of the day with absolutely no other cars around for miles and no one seems to mind that, yet people howl when they see busses or streetcars that are at less then full capacity.
That's really a point that the anti-rail folks never seem to grasp. In most places, roads are fully paid for by tax dollars--not user fees--and they never pay for themselves. Even states that have toll roads put tax dollars into the construction and maintenance of the roads; tolls typically never produce enough money to cover the full cost of the roads. Using the 'it doesn't pay for itself' argument against rail is misguided and inconsistent at best.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:39 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Cato Institute, are you serious? No wonder you have these asinine claims about transit.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:45 PM

627 posts, read 1,845,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Cato Institute, are you serious? No wonder you have these asinine claims about transit.
I like how you conveniently ignored the other 4 articles, including one published by the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville