Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2009, 06:25 AM

15 posts, read 32,601 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I’m considering a move to Nashville from North Carolina and am just trying to learn more about the area.

I’m 23, so I love the idea of living towards downtown and not in the suburbs, where things were a little more alive and I could meet people. Safety is also a huge priority since I’d be living by myself. Any recommended neighborhoods? I’ve seen a lot about Hillsboro Village that is really appealing to me – I love walkable places and the local coffee shops/bookstores etc. Are there affordable apartment complexes in this neighborhood (I come from an area with high rent, so affordable is relative - $700-$800 range for a studio/1BR is good)? Other neighborhoods in the area/with a similar feel I should consider? I know nothing about the area!!

In terms of safety, are there neighborhoods/streets to definitely avoid?

I’ve heard Nashville is great for nature etc. I love to trail run – are there good parks for running etc?

Anything else ya’ll want to tell me about Nashville? Try & sell me on why/why not to move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 07:29 AM

253 posts, read 868,983 times
Hillsboro Village and the Belmont area sound like they may what you're looking for...being walkable and close to local places. I can't speak about rent though, my two bedroom when I lived in Hillsboro was ~$1k a month, however that was close to 5 years ago, so I'm sure it's increased since then.
In that area you should be fine from a safety perspective, just use your head as anyone should do anywhere.

Nashville is great! Lots of things going on and to do (outdoor activities as well as indoor, i.e. live music, cultural stuff, etc), the people are nice, they have good locally owned restaurants. It's a pretty vibrant town for its size.
I don't know where in NC you're coming from, however my husband looked at a position at Duke and we like(d) Nashville a lot more than the Raleigh/Chapel Hill/Durham area. It's more cosmopolitan and less strip mall-esque, although we do have strip malls in Nashville don't get me wrong.

Good Luck in your decision!

Old 12-23-2009, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 10,107 times
Coolsprings area apartments in the Williamson county might appeal to you. Crime rates WAY lower than Davidson county.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:22 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isee View Post
Coolsprings area apartments in the Williamson county might appeal to you. Crime rates WAY lower than Davidson county.
OP says they don't want to live in the suburbs....

Old 12-24-2009, 09:22 AM

253 posts, read 868,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isee View Post
Along with not wanting to live in the burbs, Cool Springs is also not as walking friendly as Hillboro Village, which the OP mentioned was important.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:02 PM

455 posts, read 1,140,378 times
My wife and I went hiking in Percy Warner parks this afternoon and there were lots of people jogging with dogs. We've just moved to the Bellevue area of Nashville and it feels very safe. Definitely less walkable and central than Hillsboro Village, but we felt the tradeoff was worth it for the better quality and priced apartment we found out here. You could easily get a 1 bedroom in Bellevue for $800, I think. I've heard that lots of young people who move to Nashville start out in Bellevue. We're a bit older than you (30s), so you might enjoy being more central.

Good luck in making your decision and finding a neighborhood that you like!

Old 12-27-2009, 05:20 PM

15 posts, read 32,601 times
Thanks so much for the responses and advice, everyone!! I'm not sure how everything will work out, but I am currently interviewing for a job in Nashville and just want to have a better idea of what I might be getting into. It all happened really fast, but I'm excited at the possibility. I welcome any more tips anyone has! Thanks again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: