Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 10:51 AM

455 posts, read 1,140,250 times

Advertisements

I hear that there will be fireworks downtown for New Years. I presume they'll be set off over the river?

I don't really feel like getting right into the thick of things down on Broadway, but wonder (given Nashville's hills) whether there might be any good areas a little distance from downtown to park and see the fireworks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 07:16 PM

569 posts, read 1,425,269 times
I live in Edgefield (East side off Woodland)....the view is pretty good over here. Park in the East Community Center parking lot and you should have a decent view.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:32 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
While not the best spot in the world (the lower fireworks were obscured) you can drive over to Baptist Hospital and park near the top of their parking garage and see most of the fireworks from a distance. We did that one year for July 4 and had no issues with traffic at all.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, DonCorleone and Edgefield D!

I'm embarrassed to say that we ended up changing plans at the last minute. We had hoped to stay for a few hours at the 18 South show at Station Inn, but when we arrived we found it was standing room only.

Since we didn't feel like parking or walking around downtown in the freezing temps, we bailed and went home to watch the parties on TV.

It was surreal after 10 years on the East Coast watching the New Year start at 11 p.m....

And I was a little disappointed that they didn't show the Guitar Drop live on TV at midnight. Instead, they just show a repeat of the Times Square countdown (incorrectly labeled as "Live").

Did anyone go to the Guitar Drop in person? How was it? Any trouble parking or moving around downtown? I'd love to know for next year...

Old 01-02-2010, 06:51 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Did anyone go to the Guitar Drop in person? How was it? Any trouble parking or moving around downtown? I'd love to know for next year...

I did!!! It was crowded. I heard 15,000 people. I was right by it. I saw the Guitar drop and the spectacular fireworks. I had booked a downtown hotel the year before.
The hotels were all booked to capcity, restaurants full, bars full. I'll say that Nashville had a good night!
They said there would be a repeat next year.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:09 PM

Sounds fun, Diane!

So were you out on the street the whole time or did you duck back into the hotel from time to time to get warm?

Or did you go into one of the bars / restaurants?

Just curious to how your night worked in practice. The idea of hearing the music and seeing the fireworks appealed to me, but I'm not a huge crowd person and the idea of being in the midst of a crowd of potentially drunken revelers didn't appeal that much. (Not that every reveler would necessarily be drunken, but ... well, I know people like to celebrate on New Years and some folks celebrate a little excessively...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville