U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-01-2010, 11:42 AM

81 posts, read 152,124 times
Default Ivy glen Subdivision and community pools

Greetings from the rust belt. We are about 3-6 months from our big move to Franklin. We toured some subdivisions and some rural homes. We are somewhat split. The lure of living in the country is strong, but the community life (3 boys 13, 12, and 9) would seem to accomodate the kids, and us. I really liked Ivy Glen subdivision. There is only one house we can currently afford for sale now. Friends of ours just moved to Sullivan farms. That too seemed rather nice. Any insights/opinions? Both have a community pool. Is that a good summer hangout for the fam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 12:22 PM

3,370 posts, read 1,825,398 times
Ivy Glen is a great location. We have family that moved to Nashville 3 years ago & they live in Ivy Glen. We go down there several times a week. The pool is fairly busy is the summer, but it seems to be with kids who are younger than yours. We always see families playing in their yards. Our family that lives there realy likes all their neighbors. We have heard great things about Trinity school.

Sullivan Farms is less convenient, but seems to have a real community feel to it. We have friends who live there and they have made lots of friends in the nieghborhood. I have never been to their pool. It is just too far from our house for us to go down there very often. My impression is that Ivy Glen is a nicer neighborhood, but it's been a while since we have been in Sullivan Farms. There might be some sections we haven't seen.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:30 PM

Thanks Brentwoodgirl,
That sure does help being so far away and having a personal connection. I too think it is a great neighborhood. As far I have seen, it has first place with me. There is a house we looked at. It has a commons area with a small cemetery in it. Is that unusual? Would that be a deal breaker for a home buyer? Or is it no big deal, having a cemetery in your backyard? It would be quiet at least!

Old 01-01-2010, 03:00 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,810,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen tundra View Post
Thanks Brentwoodgirl,
That sure does help being so far away and having a personal connection. I too think it is a great neighborhood. As far I have seen, it has first place with me. There is a house we looked at. It has a commons area with a small cemetery in it. Is that unusual? Would that be a deal breaker for a home buyer? Or is it no big deal, having a cemetery in your backyard? It would be quiet at least!
I had the same question when I first started looking here. What I learned was the area's history explains the scattered family cemeteries as well as their preservation. In other words, this is not unusual. It's out of respect that they have been left undisturbed. Also, they're not a liability as they're commonly found.

I have friends in Ivy Glen and they love their neighborhood, if that helps.

Welcome to Franklin!

Old 01-01-2010, 04:33 PM

317 posts, read 811,376 times
Sullivan Farms is a popular neighborhood and has homes that will dip more into the price range it sounds like you're seeking. However, you're always going to have the chance to come out better from an investment perspective when you buy closer to the bottom of a neighborhood's range like it sounds like you'd be doing in Ivy Glen with the home you like.

I completely understand the dilemma between a regular community and something more rural. I have requests all the time to compare the two with families that are torn. The thing I think you'll find though is that in the range you are looking the price of land (an acre, let's say) costs you a pretty significant reduction in what kind of home you can actually buy on that land in amenities and size. It's easily possible to then find that the homes aren't meeting your needs because land is so costly in this are.

Hope your move to Franklin goes well. It's a great town.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:00 PM

3,370 posts, read 1,825,398 times
I just checked listings in both because I was curious about Ivy Glen having houses that were comparable in price to Sullivan Farms. I thought maybe SF had a new, more expensive section. From looking at the listings, I am guessing you are looking at the lower priced house in Ivy Glen vs. multiple houses in SF. If it were me, I would pick Ivy Glen. The lots are a fabulous size. The Ivy Glen houses definitely have more of a custom built feel. I loved the muliple layered tray ceilings in the Ivy Glen house. I would always choose the lowest priced house in a more expensive neighborhood because you will typically get more return on your investment. Also, that house is really close to the neighborhood pond. You could walk there & fish. Our family lives on Chester Stevens. We walk over to the pond and fish there every summer. I think we catch the same small fish over & over, but our kids think it's fun. Ivy Glen is a great neighborhood and I think you would be happy if you chose it. It also still has a little bit of that country feel since a lot of that area has not yet been built up. If you drive to Page Highschool (the Ivy Glen zoned HS) you will definitely feel like you are in the country.
It is also very convenient to the McKay's Mill Publix & Walgreens. You can get to Cool Springs Mall really easily with the new Carouther's expansion. My relatives would like a bigger house & have been looking in Brentwood, but they haven't bought yet because they love their location so much.
One fun fact- Brad Paisley used to own a house on Chester Stevens in Ivy Glen. He just sold it 3 or 4 years ago. He bought it for a fiancee, and then they broke up. So he let a buddy live there for a while and then sold the house.
Good luck with your move. Maybe we'll run into you when we are fishing sometime & see who can catch the one guppie in the pond.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:01 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,810,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I
One fun fact- Brad Paisley used to own a house on Chester Stevens in Ivy Glen. He just sold it 3 or 4 years ago. He bought it for a fiancee, and then they broke up. So he let a buddy live there for a while and then sold the house.
Our friends in that neighborhood told us young girls would go at all hours and ring the doorbell so much they disconnected it!

For what it's worth- there are several realtors in that neighborhood. I always think that means something. If THEY buy there......

Old 01-02-2010, 09:56 AM

Fantastic responses!
The info has been great! We got our house up here all ready (just about anyway) and now are getting the fever to list and move! It was 0 degrees when we got up. But, it has warmed to 7. I am pickin up what you are laying down about the lower end house in an upper end subdivision. Lot's of wisdom you guys have shared. I'll be a keepin my fishin pole and workin on my southern accent, ya'll!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville