Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 06:34 PM

210 posts, read 587,887 times

Advertisements

By the way, the statue is of Nathan Bedford Forrest. It was built with private funds on private property, not much anyone can do about that. Do i like it? No, i don't...and i never will. But on a side note, take a close look at the statue, totally looks like the Hamburgler. I now look at it and laugh. Nuff said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 07:09 PM

597 posts, read 2,108,655 times
Jenn, I've always thought Burger King without his crown.

And Edgefield, it's not just you. I'm gay too and if people were any more tolerant, they'd be living with me. I've lived here all my life and some of this is just ridiculous. Many people speak before the clue arrives.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:43 AM

94 posts, read 69,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Note, she worked there in the Mid 90's, 1994-99, way before any reports of any incidents occuring at Hickory Hollow. I really feel that this is the attitude that many in Nashville have, if its White its Alright, everything else..."label". The city claims to be such a friendly and welcoming place, however friendly amongst those within individual circles.
I think you can see where people are coming from.

When certain minority ethnic groups (Blacks, Hispanics) commit the majority of crime, violence, murder, etc in the city, can you blame Whites for being pissed?

Old 04-26-2010, 07:21 AM

63 posts, read 182,839 times
Default Relocation to Franklin/Nashville TN

I'm glad you are checking, my husband and are are of mixed race (I am African Am. & he is Caucasian) I am responding since we are Californian's that transplanted to Chapel Hill NC. just a few years ago, we are in the RTP so it's very diverse as well. We have found the ppl to be very welcoming. I mention this since I actually work in the Nasville downtown and usually stay in Brentwood/Franklin area while in town (1-2 weeks per month) My husband came out to visit a few weeks ago and was quite surprised at the long stares and double takes he noticed while we were together. We have been married 25 years so we are very confident in our place in this world and well aware of "curiosity". We've lived in several states from the Pac NW, Cal. and now NC. We've always treated ppl with respect and expect the same from others- we've had our share of stares and comments. My biggest concern was when our daughter was born.. my main concern was that she be raised in a diverse community. I was raised in a predominatly white middle class suburb in Ca. no other blacks in our neighborhood until I was in highschool. My parents were college educated professionals. While I could handle myself and am very proud of my heritage and family.. it's often hard for children. We moved back to Calif. -Bay Area- so our daughter would be able to evolve, play and be exposed to all races and learn to appreciate the diverse culture as well. Although she is now in college, she used to get some grief over he looks. ( blue eyes, long dark hair and very fair complexion). I wanted her to be proud of being bi-racial and not let others dictate how she should be identified.
I say all of this because there will always be challenges and ppl who do not accept your heritage, just to continue to be proud and work to make sure your children love themselves as well.
Good luck!

Old 04-26-2010, 03:06 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS1 View Post
I'm glad you are checking, my husband and are are of mixed race (I am African Am. & he is Caucasian) I am responding since we are Californian's that transplanted to Chapel Hill NC. just a few years ago, we are in the RTP so it's very diverse as well. We have found the ppl to be very welcoming. I mention this since I actually work in the Nasville downtown and usually stay in Brentwood/Franklin area while in town (1-2 oweeks per month) My husband came out to visit a few weeks ago and was quite surprised at the long stares and double takes he noticed while we were together. We have been married 25 years so we are very confident in our place in this world and well aware of "curiosity". We've lived in several states from the Pac NW, Cal. and now NC. We've always treated ppl with respect and expect the same from others- we've had our share of stares and comments. My biggest concern was when our daughter was born.. my main concern was that she be raised in a diverse community. I was raised in a predominatly white middle class suburb in Ca. no other blacks in our neighborhood until I was in highschool. My parents were college educated professionals. While I could handle myself and am very proud of my heritage and family.. it's often hard for children. We moved back to Calif. -Bay Area- so our daughter would be able to evolve, play and be exposed to all races and learn to appreciate the diverse culture as well. Although she is now in college, she used to get some grief over he looks. ( blue eyes, long dark hair and very fair complexion). I wanted her to be proud of being bi-racial and not let others dictate how she should be identified.
I say all of this because there will always be challenges and ppl who do not accept your heritage, just to continue to be proud and work to make sure your children love themselves as well.
Good luck!
Thank you so much for everything you contributed to this forum.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:48 PM

11 posts, read 72,187 times
Thanks for all the posts! We've moved to Brentwood and have found most of the people to be welcoming. However, as jenn mentioned, I was shocked to see a statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest here. When the name Forrest comes to mind, one will quickly associate it with either Forrest Gump or the KKK. Why is a man associated with the Klan revered?

Last edited by BoraTerra; 06-09-2010 at 02:24 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 04:44 PM

14 posts, read 38,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriplandHouse View Post
Thanks for all the posts! We've moved to Brentwood and have found most of the people to be welcoming. However, as jenn mentioned, I was shocked to see a statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest here. When the name Forrest comes to mind, one will quickly associate it with either Forrest Gump or the KKK. Why is a man associated with the Klan revered?
Because he was a great general who did a lot of good for the state of TN and the south. The KKK facts are actually a bit hazy. Some believe that the organization was actually formed in order to disrupt northern carpetbaggers and it eventually morphed into a racist organization. Some believe it's been racist since it's inception. Also, Forrest denounced the Klan in his later years and was only a part of the organization for 4 years. I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

"After the Civil War, General Forrest made a speech to the Memphis City Council (then called the Board of Aldermen). In this speech he said that there was no reason that the black man could not be doctors, store clerks, bankers, or any other job equal to whites. They were part of our community and should be involved and employed as such just like anyone else. In another speech to Federal authorities, Forrest said that many of the ex-slaves were skilled artisans and needed to be employed and that those skills needed to be taught to the younger workers. If not, then the next generation of blacks would have no skills and could not succeed and would become dependent on the welfare of society."

Yes, Forrest owned slaves, was a savvy business man, and a general for the Confederate army, but that doesn't make him bad. General Lee is still regarded as one of the greatest generals in U.S. history & Thomas Jefferson owned a lot of slaves. The Civil War isn't as cut and dry as a lot of people would have you believe.

Oh and BTW, the Forrest statue on I-65 near Harding Place is a gaudy monstrosity that should be burned! The person who erected it IS a racist imbecile who doesn't know history. Of all the places in the south that bear his name, likeness, or make reference, that's the one people find offensive.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:44 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
(shinestx)"I have noticed that many cities in the north actually enhance a more racially segregated environment by the existence of certain neighborhoods (designated as Asian/Little China/Little Italy/Little Africa/Little India/etc.), and more people from the north (at least those I associate with) are usually the first to bring up the subject of race."

I couldn't agree more, having grown up in southern Ct. Red-lining was rampant, towns with "money" were virtually devoid of diversity, and to be frank, the main difference I have found was the ability in the north to do such things "below the radar". I am delighted it has changed in the last ten years in my "home state", but annoyed at the lack of candor amongst most of the people there about how life really was.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:15 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMR31 View Post
Hello everyone. A friend of mine moved to Franklin, TN from Miami, FL about two years ago. She loves it and the schools are great. I too am considering to move from Florida to Franklin but will have to visit her before I make my decision. I have never been in TN. I have three children and the eldest in 6th grade. The schools in Miami are terrible and would like to mover before he gets into hight schools. I main concern is that we are white but have a hispanic background therefore I am afraid that my children will be discriminated. So far my friend has not experienced any discrimination. She did mention that everyone is very friendly. Something we do not have here in Miami.
I'm from Miami too, and just actually lived in Orlando for the last 10 years before coming to Nashville. I think you'll like it here for your kids. People are a lot nicer overall. I doubt your children would feel discriminated against up here like the way you think they might. It's just a slower pace/atmosphere compared to Miami. You will defiantly notice that there are more white people around compared to Miami as well. I like it here though people actually helped each other during the floods we had here instead of looting each other and fighting over resources/water/gas like when we have hurricanes in Florida.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:34 PM

51 posts, read 128,441 times
I'm white and my wife is black. We have had no problems. Nashville is very accepting. 20% of our Christian Congregation is mixed (mostly our combination).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville