U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 15,007 times
Default Best place to raise my family in Nashville?

I'm sure that I am the 5,392nd person to ask this, but I'd thought I'd try!

First, I would like to say how FANTASTIC these boards are. The people on here are willing to provide great information and I have already learned so much about TN from all of you. Thanks for the great info and being so willing to help!

We are a family looking to move to the Nashville (also considering Knoxville) area. We need suggestions on areas that we can focus more of our attention on.

We are:
-A young, one income family, able to spend probably at most 160,000 for a home.
-Our TOP priority is safety and finding a town that is family friendly, great schools, parks, overall a family oriented kind of town.

-It's looking like Murfreesboro would be a good option. (?)
-Hendersonville, Brentwood, and Franklin all sound fantastic, but too expensive for us.

THANK YOU in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 01:45 PM

oh, and P.S. my husband is a high school spanish teacher/football coach.
How is the market for teachers right now in the area?

Old 01-11-2010, 03:02 PM

1,345 posts, read 1,479,142 times
Personally, I would try to find the job first and then focus on area...it may make things a bit easier. Thompson's Station and Nolensville also come to mind and would be close enough to work in Williamson Country schools, which are highly regarded.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:20 PM

3,276 posts, read 1,726,839 times
There are 29 listed in Franklin for less than 170K, but they don't look great.
Hendersonville has 109 listed for 170K & below, so you would have some options there.
Nothing on the market now in Thompson Station for less than $170,000, and only 2 in Nolensville.
Murfreesboro is great, but it's a long commute from Nashville. I agree with getting a job first & then deciding where you want to live. Nashville is pretty spread out. You might want to also consider Wilson County. Most people that we know that live in Mt. Juliet are happy with it.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:33 PM

1,434 posts, read 1,944,026 times
Sumner County offers excellent schools as well. 160,000 will price you out of many areas of Hendersonville but not all. The Glen Oaks area of Hendersonville offers a lot of starter homes and a good location.

You might also consider White House in Sumner Co and Spring Hill in Williamson County.

Spanish Teachers are always in demand here!

Old 01-11-2010, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the great info!

Old 01-11-2010, 04:06 PM

3,276 posts, read 1,726,839 times
To look for houses, try realtracs website. It is Mid. Tenn specific. You choose the county then whatever other critera. It makes it easy to find Williamson County Sprill vs. Maury County Spring Hill (which does not have good schools.)
You can also search by school, so if you narrow down some schools you like, you can find houses in their zone.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:53 PM

3,537 posts, read 4,902,547 times
Looks like Murfreesboro is the best place for you. You can EASILY get a very nice house under $160K, we have great schools and a wonderful family-friendly non-pretentious atmosphere. Over the years, Murfreesboro has be the recipient of various accolades reinforcing what we Murfreesboro residents already know about our wonderful city/town. I am raising my family here and I couldn't be happier and would never want to move. As far as education jobs go, I honestly do not know much. You can always go to www.cityschools.net or Rutherford County Schools (http://www.rcs.k12.tn.us/rc/RCS_NEW/ - broken link) for more information on employment. If you are in need of a realtor recommendation, just say so. There are a number of us here who can recommend realtors to you.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:06 PM

3 posts, read 9,728 times
On your price range, Murfreesboro definitely.
OK Schools. But lot of opportunity.

Best place to raise family is Brentwood or Franklin in Williamson county but prices are above 350K

Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 PM

3,537 posts, read 4,902,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by super007 View Post
On your price range, Murfreesboro definitely.
OK Schools. But lot of opportunity.

Best place to raise family is Brentwood or Franklin in Williamson county but prices are above 350K
I think our schools are a little bit better than just OK. We have very good schools in Murfreesboro and Rutherford County overall. Trust me, I'm extremely picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville