Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 04:52 PM

253 posts, read 868,875 times

Advertisements

So if one had to rank...what would be the order for the best private schools (Ensworth, Harpeth Hall (if you had a girl), MBA (if you had a boy) and University School) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 06:15 PM

210 posts, read 587,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
I don't think you'll get slammed. You have first-hand experience, and that's always helpful. I do think it's ironic, however, that you extol the virtues of your academic background, yet your post and headline contain misspellings. What can I say- I'm a word geek. I find that stuff interesting

Ya...well you got me...i managed to graduate from a college prep school and i am HORRIBLE at spelling...really i am. It is for this reason that i always double and triple check pretty much everything i do...excluding message board posts...lol. So don't judge BGA on my lack of spelling capabilities...you can blame my elementary for that one (it was a public school HA

Old 01-24-2010, 06:38 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shino306 View Post
So if one had to rank...what would be the order for the best private schools (Ensworth, Harpeth Hall (if you had a girl), MBA (if you had a boy) and University School) ?
Honestly I think they are equal. It just depends on your kid's personality. Ensworth is a slight unknown in that it isn't very old, but it has amazing faculty and facilities. Harpeth Hall and MBA obviously have the market on single sex education and USN is a place where it is cool to be nerdy.

I know alums of USN, HH and MBA and all rave about their experiences.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:42 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenntenn View Post
Ya...well you got me...i managed to graduate from a college prep school and i am HORRIBLE at spelling...really i am. It is for this reason that i always double and triple check pretty much everything i do...excluding message board posts...lol. So don't judge BGA on my lack of spelling capabilities...you can blame my elementary for that one (it was a public school HA
Touche'

-Product of public schools

Old 01-24-2010, 07:23 PM

210 posts, read 587,887 times
Ensworth as a high school is fairly new...but it has been around for a long time as an elementary school. It was actually the feeder school for both HH and MBA for quite some time. So the Ensworth format is not entirely new, and it has always been well respected as a lower school.
USN has by far the most diverse student body of any private school atound. Its home to many of the children of vandy faculty because it is located directly across the street from VU. Have you even been around a BUNCH of professors kids? LOL. So yes, being a nerd here is cool and pretty much expected. These kids are smart...but almost the kind of smart that scares me a bit.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:20 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Parents have a say in what classes their kids take. If you want your kid to take the most rigorous classes, tell their advisor. Just because a school offers shop or child care doesn't mean a kid will take it. The culture of the school plays a lot into it as well - what it's like to go there every day. I have seen it all in local private schools: excellent students, well-rounded kids, slackers, and even kids whose parents put them there as a last try before military school. And I've seen those same kids in public schools.
One aspect I hadn't thought about is exhibited by an experience my next-door neighbor had with her son. He is a very gifted student, and they sent him to MBA starting in 7th grade. By ninth grade he was doing well academically but didn't have many friends that lived near him. They probably are upper middle class income-wise, but it strained their family to try and keep up financially with the other families there (extra trips, fees for extracurricular activities, sports equipment, etc.) Long story short, he moved to Brentwood High in 10th grade, made good friend with guys in the neighborhood, made a sports team that he always got cut from at MBA, and received a National Merit Scholarship that paid his $40,000 tuition at a well-known private university.
Besides academics, some parents here who choose private school either want to include a religious element to their kids' education or want to avoid a certain type of person they think they'll encounter in a public school. School experiences are as varied as the students; you just have to decide which fits you best.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:44 AM

65 posts, read 235,184 times
Seems like I have missed a great conversation!
Much to absorb. Looks like we will settle on the public school.

Still does not ease the home purchase process. I believe it was mentioned that if my child starts in a Williamson HS (as a freshman) school prior to the zone changes....re-zoning occurs the next year. We could use the original school if we wish. i.e, grandfathering?

On the daycare in FHS. Is that service for the HS students? Is there a high rate of teenage pregnancy? I would still consider purchase in Ravenwood. Furthest point from Nolenswood (sp?). #1 the school does nationally rank. #2 do to what I see as "zoning panic". Can see some great deals on homes. #3 I read that some 50 students can apply to BHS for this next year. Thin out the student population. Sounds like it could be an instant equity type of situation as this zoning issues will not last forever, still have the Brentwood address, etc.

Thoughts?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMove View Post
Seems like I have missed a great conversation!
Much to absorb. Looks like we will settle on the public school.

Still does not ease the home purchase process. I believe it was mentioned that if my child starts in a Williamson HS (as a freshman) school prior to the zone changes....re-zoning occurs the next year. We could use the original school if we wish. i.e, grandfathering?

On the daycare in FHS. Is that service for the HS students? Is there a high rate of teenage pregnancy? I would still consider purchase in Ravenwood. Furthest point from Nolenswood (sp?). #1 the school does nationally rank. #2 do to what I see as "zoning panic". Can see some great deals on homes. #3 I read that some 50 students can apply to BHS for this next year. Thin out the student population. Sounds like it could be an instant equity type of situation as this zoning issues will not last forever, still have the Brentwood address, etc.

Thoughts?
Teen Pregnancy is every where. I don't think it is a particularly big problem in Franklin but it does happen. People point to offering child care classes as a reason not to go to FHS but I think that is just code for they don't want to mix with kids who aren't upper middle-class.

FHS is educating ALL of its student which is the mission of a public school. Not everyone is going on to college, but if you do want to go on to college then FHS has some very strong college prep programs including the IB program.

As for zoning, the county is going to do a system wide review. Who knows what is going to happen. I'm not sure how grandfathering will work. My understanding is that it will be only 11th graders and their siblings.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:04 AM

65 posts, read 235,184 times
Yes, agree. Teen pregnancy is every where. We recently had this experience in our middle school. We keep our child busy enough to hopefully curtail that type of premature behavior. I thought the recent pregnancy in our school was a great opportunity to scare some of the kids straight!

Do you feel Franklin would be less of a crap shoot with the HS zoning?

Old 01-25-2010, 09:56 AM

Honestly I don't know what to think about the zoning situation except it needs to be fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville