Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:56 AM

9 posts, read 28,657 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving from NYC to Nashville. The primary reason for my move is cost of living and quality of life. As one could imagine, housing costs in NYC and the greater Tri-State area are incredibly high. I was hoping someone on this forum has made a similar move, moving from the Northeast or or a major metro to the Nashville and can provide me with some insight. I would like to know what life is like in Nashville. What are the better suburbs surrounding Nashville. What is the cost of living compared to the that of NYC? What are some of the activities for a young couple?

I am a 30yr male who would be moving with my fiance with the hope of putting down some roots.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 11:38 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,856 times
I can give you some perspective, but perhaps from a reverse perspective. I grew up in TN, moved to the Northeast for 2 years, then moved to CA. There is a distinctly different manner in which people who live on the coasts expect a city to be and what qualities they seem to be drawn to.

For that reason I would say that a city like Nashville, or most any other city in the Southeast is going to be very different from anywhere in the Northeast or West Coast. For one, Nashville is tiny compared to NYC. The city itself has maybe 300k within it. Most of the population lives in suburbs around it. Cities in the Southeast are really different too in the way that they are used. Nashville, Atlanta, Memphis... the actual city part is dead after 5:00. Everyone goes home after work and you won't have the 24 hour city you probably expect.

Chains rein supreme in these parts. Expect to see a predictable reliable pattern of Cracker Barrels, Wal-Marts, Home Depots, and Waffle Houses at every freeway exit. Of the freeways, they are amazingly pristine, organized, and new compared to the clogged, beat up arteries up North. But expect a rather monotonous traveling experience with one exit resembling another.

There are LOTS of new subdivisions. Tons of rather cookie-cutter Mcmansiony looking houses on small lots. These are built all the time too. There are older neighborhoods too. Just like where you live now, the "cute" adorable neighborhoods that resemble the Andy Grifith show are going to cost more.

The cost of living is insanely low compared to just about every other major city. Take into consideration that wages will be lower. But affordability is still possible here. You can get a decent place for 150k or less. So you wouldn't be living it large, but you'd at least be able to pay the mortgage and have savings leftover, which is kind of a luxury in many places these days.

What I tell anyone moving here with the prime reason being affordable housing is that yes- this area is very, very different from the Northeast. Some people like it, and some don't. People who preach diversity, progressiveness and so on will generally be disappointed. Those that start with a new sheet do better. You'd be best off to rent for awhile and see how you like it instead of jumping in and buying something even though I realize the temptation is great to do so after being shut out of the market elsewhere.

Do I like it? yes, but I think this is because I'm from there and I've never been a metropolitan kind of person. But I'm not sure if someone who identifies with big city life will like it.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:45 PM

42 posts, read 163,489 times
Default nyc to nashville

Welcome to my world, about 1 year and a half ago, my husband took on a job located in Nashville TN. He worked out of the house for a year, and the company asked if he was ready to make the move. Well considering my mom had just passed away, I was ready to pack up my three kids and start a new life. NYC girl moves to Tennessee !!!!!! MY 16 year old son hated us for the first six months......Now he is thinking of attending UT !!! My little girl fit right in as well as my middle child. I on the other hand had a harder time settling in. So I decided to take on Real Estate, Considering I was pretty successful back North< I figured why not. We sold our house in NY don't have to tell you how much we got for it but, I am now living in a home three times the size and paying less mortgage payments. We settled in Hendersonville, 20min. North of Nashville. Also checked out Williamson County, but I miss the ocean so I settled for a beautiful lake right in my back yard.

Downtown Nashville is growing everyday. First thing I did was join the Frist museum. It is so affordable It makes you want to go everyday. Parking will run you about $6.00 for the day as opposed to parking in Manhattan for $50.00.

I can't say that I am much of a Country Music lover, however... When in Rome!!!!!

People definatly take there time doing things here....I'm used to finishing five things in less then an hour, however I feel much more calm and relaxed.

Neighbors are wonderful, they take time to ask how you are. I can't even tell you my neighbors name back in NY.

If you need anymore questions answered.. you can email me direct @ chdzine@comcast.net...I would love to talk more.

Its soooo nice to here another New yorkers opinion... P.S. I WILL ALWAYS LOVE NY!!!

Old 05-26-2007, 10:19 AM

4 posts, read 21,623 times
Another NY'er here. We are making the move off of Long Island at the end of June once school gets out. We made several trips down to scout the area and wound up falling in love with Spring Hill-Wiliamson county side. The area is lovely, the people seem great, the homes are quite affordable (we bought a much nicer than we have here for 1/3 of the price) and taxes are only $2200 instead of the $11,000 we pay now. When we closed on the house in April, we spent the week down here, and fit right in, the kids made all sorts of friends are are very happy with the decision Mommy and Daddy made (big sigh of relief for us). The area has grown alot since our 1st visit back in Sept of 06.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:38 AM

42 posts, read 163,489 times
Default ny'er

Congrats mikedante:

If you know anyone else who is moving down from NYC....mention me I love relocating fellow New Yorkers !!!!

Old 04-15-2009, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,161 times
I see that this is dated a while ago - however we fit the category!! We are looking at relocating from NY to TN. I am looking for ANY info you can give. We have 4 kids (ages 8 months to 10yrs) so definitely need a good school system. I have heard Brentwood is great but $$. Are all areas in Williamson County good? THANKS...

Old 04-15-2009, 08:54 PM

13 posts, read 34,492 times
Another NY'er here seriously considering moving to Nashville...I was happy to find this post because I was also looking to connect with people who moved from NY to Nashville. My husband and I currently rent in New Jersey and started to look for a house here, however, we decided not to buy in NJ because the property taxes are so high. We are both in the music industry and have been to Nashville and Franklin. We are thinking about renting in Nashvile first so that we can spend time learining about the areas and subdivisions before buying. Looking forward to reading more here...

Old 04-15-2009, 10:23 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiffDiva View Post
Another NY'er here seriously considering moving to Nashville...I was happy to find this post because I was also looking to connect with people who moved from NY to Nashville. My husband and I currently rent in New Jersey and started to look for a house here, however, we decided not to buy in NJ because the property taxes are so high. We are both in the music industry and have been to Nashville and Franklin. We are thinking about renting in Nashvile first so that we can spend time learining about the areas and subdivisions before buying. Looking forward to reading more here...
I'm from Long Island, NY, moved here from NJ. We love it here. The property taxes are much lower here. Here, I have a larger house, which I paid less for than the house I sold, and less than half the property tax.
My son just moved here from NJ, and really likes it. His friend visited this weekend , and told my son he would love to move here. They are both 24.
There is muic, Art, Ballet Theater here. You won't miss NY or NJ for that matter. I've been here almost 3 years, and I'm proud to call Nashville, my home.

Diane g

Old 04-16-2009, 07:09 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,280,294 times
I'm originally from Long Island. I've been down here 1 1/2 years now and have to say the people are great. I miss the ocean, family, and friends, but feel so welcome down here. We also lived in CT for awhile. We talk about going back up north but we'd miss the southern hospitality, lower cost of living, etc.

If Brentwood/Franklin is too expensive, take a look at Hendersonville. From what I've read, their schools are very good. I go there all the time to do shopping (lots of stores, restaurants, etc.).

Come down, take a look around, and see for yourself. This is the best advice I can give.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:44 AM

16 posts, read 74,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassmarae View Post
I see that this is dated a while ago - however we fit the category!! We are looking at relocating from NY to TN. I am looking for ANY info you can give. We have 4 kids (ages 8 months to 10yrs) so definitely need a good school system. I have heard Brentwood is great but $$. Are all areas in Williamson County good? THANKS...
We have only lived here a year, but this is what I've figured out so far. Brentwood (where we live) is VERY nice but much more expensive than the surrounding areas in Williamson County and has a definite "snootiness factor" iykwim. We have had our kids in Sunset Elementary and Sunset Middle - both excellent schools with great parent involvement.

We are moving to Nolensville. You might want to check it out. Still in Williamson County, but much more affordable and close to everything you need. There are some very nice developments. Our kids will still be zoned for Sunset Middle and Ravenwood High.

I am not that familiar with areas of Franklin, but I know that there are many many wonderful neighborhoods and great schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville