U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 01:01 PM

63 posts, read 152,989 times

Advertisements

I had broached this subject under another thread entitled "Brentwood".

This statement is from the Williamson County School Board Web.

"Notice to Home Buyers and Current Residents

Please be aware that with the current growth and the number of schools in our county, the Williamson County School System cannot guarantee the present school zoning but for one year".

As I understand, most of these issues are with the High Schools. Exactly what we will need if we make our move to the area this spring. Very unsettling thought given we will be moving our child in from another state.

What to do? What to do? We plan on purchasing in Franklin (Franklin High) or perhaps Brentwood (Brentwood High)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 01:26 PM

160 posts, read 318,799 times
If you really have your heart set on a certain high school, I would suggest moving as close to that high school as possible. You're less likely to be zoned to a new HS if you live a block or so from it. On the other hand, if you live further out in the zone you're more likely to be redrawn into a new district or into a neighboring district to ease overcrowding. No guarentees, but that's the way it usually happens.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:35 PM

63 posts, read 152,989 times
Thank you for your thoughts.

If you are familar with the area. Could you tell me if Westhaven, Fieldstone and Temple Hill are in close proximity to Franklin High?

Old 01-15-2010, 02:13 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,495,016 times
Proximity doesn't mean that much...there are subdivisions closer to Franklin High than Westhaven that are zoned for Independence and Centennial.

If anyone with half a brain yet willing to commit political suicide would redraw the zoning maps Temple Hills would be zoned for Brentwood as wood all the subdivisions along Sneed Rd.

High School zoning isn't going to change this year so if you buy this year and your son starts next year he'll be grandfathered in to the old school if he's in 11th or 12th grade

Old 01-15-2010, 02:39 PM

160 posts, read 318,799 times
Let me clarify about my proximity statement, I was only refering to very close. Once you get outside a mile or so, you're pretty much free game-no matter what suburban school district you're in.
I don't know about proximity, but I'm sure there are some realtors on here that can help you out.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:50 PM

427 posts, read 536,535 times
I read they'd pushed back the proposed Nolensville-area high school a couple of years, so the rezoning factors that will come into play the next two years (the timeframe the OP needs to worry about) would be (1) the ripple effect of opening the new school in Spring Hill in 2011 and (2) whatever nibbling occurs at the edges of the Ravenwood zone. The first would be more concerning to someone looking at the Franklin High zone; I could see some of the southernmost parts of the FHS zone heading to Independence once a big chunk of Independence is rezoned for the new school.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:30 PM

3,485 posts, read 1,975,089 times
Fieldstone is about 3 miles from FHS.
Westhaven is about 5 miles from FHS.
Temple Hills is about 11 miles from FHS. It is about 7 miles from BHS, but because it has a "Franklin" address & is a less expensive neighborhood, it is zoned for FHS. That's what the poster above was mentioning. Zoning here is not necessarily done on proximity. The school board is more sensitive to expensive neighborhoods being zoned where the desire, which can lead to crazy zoning at times.
The biggest zoning changes are typically in elementary, as those schools are the smallest.
The school board has seemed less likely to mess with "Brentwood" address unless you are out Concord Road past Edmondson Pike. Then all bets are off. But mostly if you have a "Franklin" address, you are going to a "Franklin" school, even if you live closer to a "Brentwood" school.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:36 PM

3,485 posts, read 1,975,089 times
One other note about Fieldstone- they have their own elementary school in their neighborhood. But the school board even changed a part of the neighborhood to go to a different elementary school. The Fieldstone residents were really mad & tried to fight it, but they got rezoned anyway.
Kind of defeats the purpose of a "neighborhood school."
Also, Fieldstone Farms is currently in some sort of a legal battle regarding their pool. I don't know all the details, but you can google "Save the Fieldstone Pool" and the website with the info will be listed. We have friends who live there and they have been involved with the school fight & now the pool fight, so we have heard a little bit about it from them.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:16 PM

8 posts, read 20,098 times
Do you think Governor's Club is at risk of being rezoned to the Nolensville HS when built or other changes? It is considerably East of Edmonson and right against Sunset and a bit South? Any opinions/insight on whether you think that is a real possibility would be appreciated. I understand it is speculation but just looking for the "feeling" that a resident might have. Thanks!

Old 01-16-2010, 06:19 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,495,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
One other note about Fieldstone- they have their own elementary school in their neighborhood. But the school board even changed a part of the neighborhood to go to a different elementary school. The Fieldstone residents were really mad & tried to fight it, but they got rezoned anyway.
Kind of defeats the purpose of a "neighborhood school."
My understanding on that is basically Hunters Bend is all Fieldstone Farms but Fieldstone Farms is so big that they really need 2 elementary schools hence 1/2 goes to Walnut Grove which is only 1 mile away.

I wouldn't make any bets on rezoning. The new Super seems to want to review it all. Hopefully that means he'll do one massive rezoning that will satisfy the county for the next 5-10 years. I heard a rumor he is pro-magnet schools, etc so that could be a huge change. Also some areas like Brentwood are aging so the school aged population is declining so zoning for Brentwood could be bigger whereas Ravenswood probably needs to be smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville