Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:22 AM

49 posts, read 141,215 times

Advertisements

For some reason, a lot of people seem to think negotiating means getting only what they want. Negotiating means discussing how you can get your needs met while working to see the other person's needs are met. It is coming to an agreement to make it work in some way for both sides. There are many strategies and tricks to get achieve the end result of getting what you want. Sure, the market is a factor (of which isn't always a "buyers' market" in certain hot parts of middle TN), but there are soooo many factors that come into play. An accurate, upfront detailed assessment of all factors, coupled with much research in order to be prepared is key. Knowledge is arsenal. All people are different and style of approach is important. I have learned so much about negotiation through years of experience and have been pleasantly surprised in some cases. I have had flat out rejections, but mostly counter-offers. There have been a few acceptances. It is so much fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 09:28 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
As a TN native now living in California, I find it funny that places like Murfreesboro and Franklin are 'desirable'. Of course I've been gone for over 10 years but last time I visited the two areas looked about the same as they always did: typical suburban towns. Nashville's a small city and all one has to do is drive a few miles out and you're in the sticks. Secondly, it seems that there are tons and tons of other suburbs of Nashville that are a heck of a lot cheaper- and look about the same as Murfreesboro.

So is it just that people from other cities and states have "heard" that Murfreesboro and Franklin are THE place to be?

Old 10-08-2010, 11:09 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
As a TN native now living in California, I find it funny that places like Murfreesboro and Franklin are 'desirable'. Of course I've been gone for over 10 years but last time I visited the two areas looked about the same as they always did: typical suburban towns. Nashville's a small city and all one has to do is drive a few miles out and you're in the sticks. Secondly, it seems that there are tons and tons of other suburbs of Nashville that are a heck of a lot cheaper- and look about the same as Murfreesboro.

So is it just that people from other cities and states have "heard" that Murfreesboro and Franklin are THE place to be?
Um, no. Franklin is pretty awesome.

Not sure what your definition of "desirable" is, but what Rutherford and Williamson have to offer seems to be attracting enough people that homes and land are priced pretty high. It's what the market will bear, though.
Or at least it was three years ago.
Franklin has kept tighter control over its look and feel than Murfreesboro, but if you haven;t been here since 2000, you haven't seen the biggest changes.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:12 PM

I thought Franklin was 'ok'. I guess it depends on perspective. To me it looked just like any number of other Southeastern suburban areas: new-ish typically larger housing with a sprinkling of older and newer retail shopping areas. I drove through it last time I was home. It seemed expensive for what it is. In all truth it reminded me of Cary, NC, which also pops up a lot as a "hot" place to relocate.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:12 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,984 times
I honestly think natives are so used to TN, they no longer appreciate it's beauty. Coming from somewhere else, I love both towns. Especially the historic sections of Murfreesboro and Franklin. They have a great feel and charm. I can from something so very different. I appreciate everything both towns have to offer. When I go back to FL to visit, I feel like you when you come back to TN. It's nothing special!

Old 10-08-2010, 04:03 PM

Maybe that's so. I guess to me I've just never really been a fan of the typical subdivisions that are popular in the Southeast. I can't really describe it. Its just sort of bland and uninteresting. Lots of big houses with small bradford pear trees planted up front. Brick seems to be very popular too, maybe because in the past termites were a bigger issue. I miss a lot of things about home. Namely that there are real summers with heat. Most people talk about hating humidity but to me it meant summer. Of course after moving away I have learned to appreciate the fact that it costs a lot less than most other places. I'm probably going to have to move closer to home someday because ALL of my family still lives there. That is unless TN too becomes too expensive at which point I guess nowhere will be affordable.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:28 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,984 times
I agree with you to some extent, especially the subdivision part. To me the brick is attractive compared to the concrete eyesores of FL. When you look at something too long, it becomes very boring. To me the brick is a big novelty. Aside from the subs though, TN is such a beautiful state. The natural waterfalls and nature are gorgeous. 4 real seasons. I never get tired of looking at the senery. I imagine since people from all over are discovering TN, as they did FL, it will become expensive too. So where is the next oasis? West Virginis maybe? Where did you move to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Maybe that's so. I guess to me I've just never really been a fan of the typical subdivisions that are popular in the Southeast. I can't really describe it. Its just sort of bland and uninteresting. Lots of big houses with small bradford pear trees planted up front. Brick seems to be very popular too, maybe because in the past termites were a bigger issue. I miss a lot of things about home. Namely that there are real summers with heat. Most people talk about hating humidity but to me it meant summer. Of course after moving away I have learned to appreciate the fact that it costs a lot less than most other places. I'm probably going to have to move closer to home someday because ALL of my family still lives there. That is unless TN too becomes too expensive at which point I guess nowhere will be affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville