U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-09-2010, 09:32 AM

53 posts, read 55,192 times
Default Relocating! Chapel Hill, Spring Hill ,Hendersonville?

Hello all, I've been perusing the site for months now and figured I'd pose a question of my own regarding my familys' pending move. My wife is looking into employment as an RN at Vanderbilt, we plan on making the move this summer and renting a house out for a year or two until we settle on a place to buy. We have friends that are basically family in the Chapel Hill area and they have children around the same ages as our daughters , we would really like to be near them but are concerned about the commute for my wife.
Looking at decent areas that are closer to Vanderbilt , we have heard great things about Hendersonville. I am big into cycling and have heard good things about the parks and recreation there and the commute looks like it would be less than half an hour for her. That puts us over an hour away from the only people we know in TN though
If any can be so kind as to lend a suggestion, this is what I'm looking for in areas to consider.

Commute - maybe something between Chapel Hill and Nashville
Schools - 2 young ones entering elementary school ages
Crime Rate - We'd like to be safe
Recreation - I would love to find an area where I can walk out my door with the bike and just go - some nice scenery or places with designated bike paths would be cool. It would be nice to be a part of an active community.

We live near Detroit now , for all the knocks on the area it really is a beautiful place to be for recreational activities but the economy is horrible and we're taking a huge hit on the value of our home. We want to be somewhere a little warmer that may offer a better future for the kids.

Thanks for any suggestions or opinions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 10:23 AM

3,158 posts, read 1,622,225 times
Hendersonville is nice, but it would be a long, traffic filled drive to get to Chapel Hill from there.
Spring Hills is a definite happy medium. The drive from Spring Hill to Vandy shouldn't be much longer than Hendersonville to Vandy.

For schools, you need to stay on the Williamson County side of SH. You can search by county here:
www.realtracs.com
Williamson County is one of the best school systems in the state.
One other positive about SH is that there should be some other Michigan transplants there. We live in Brentwood, and 4 out of the 7 families in our cul de sac are orignally from Michigan & moved here for Nissan jobs. They said Williamson County has lots of MI transplants.

Crime should not be a concern in Williamson Co. Spring Hill. Williamson County is safe, low crime.

I'm not sure about the recreation options in SH. But SH is not far from Henry Horton State Park & there are great recreations options there. Brentwood & Franklin have extensive park systems. Brentwood has a huge riding trails that go on for miles & connect all the parks. Brentwood would just be about 15-20 min. from SH.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:46 PM

1,434 posts, read 1,879,788 times
The commute from Spring Hill to Nashville is considerably longer than Hendersonville to Nashville. Some Hendersonville neighborhoods like Mansker Farms are only 15 minutes from downtown/west end outside of Rush Hour.

Hendersonville has a great parks system and a very nice greenway system under construction. Some parts are already open. The city also has tons of lakefront areas if you are into boating. I know of several neighborhoods that have designated bike lanes that connect directly to the greenway and parks.

The schools are great and crime is extremely low. The top rated elementary schools seem to be Beech, Indian Lake, Nannie Berry, and Jack Anderson.

The city is very young so most residents are transplants from other areas and that makes for a very welcoming atmosphere.

Good Luck making a decison!

Old 02-14-2010, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,069 times
Default So are we!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolagoo View Post
Hello all, I've been perusing the site for months now and figured I'd pose a question of my own regarding my familys' pending move. My wife is looking into employment as an RN at Vanderbilt, we plan on making the move this summer and renting a house out for a year or two until we settle on a place to buy. We have friends that are basically family in the Chapel Hill area and they have children around the same ages as our daughters , we would really like to be near them but are concerned about the commute for my wife.
Looking at decent areas that are closer to Vanderbilt , we have heard great things about Hendersonville. I am big into cycling and have heard good things about the parks and recreation there and the commute looks like it would be less than half an hour for her. That puts us over an hour away from the only people we know in TN though
If any can be so kind as to lend a suggestion, this is what I'm looking for in areas to consider.

Commute - maybe something between Chapel Hill and Nashville
Schools - 2 young ones entering elementary school ages
Crime Rate - We'd like to be safe
Recreation - I would love to find an area where I can walk out my door with the bike and just go - some nice scenery or places with designated bike paths would be cool. It would be nice to be a part of an active community.

We live near Detroit now , for all the knocks on the area it really is a beautiful place to be for recreational activities but the economy is horrible and we're taking a huge hit on the value of our home. We want to be somewhere a little warmer that may offer a better future for the kids.

Thanks for any suggestions or opinions.
Wow...We, too are leaving Michigan and I am going to be working at VU Medical Ceter. We happened to come across some good home rentals in Hendersonville. You are right, it is a shame to leave Michigan. We have 2 in high school, and they say they are ready. Thanks for asking questions we also needed the answers too, and lots of luck!

Old 02-14-2010, 06:39 PM

2,301 posts, read 3,959,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
The commute from Spring Hill to Nashville is considerably longer than Hendersonville to Nashville. Some Hendersonville neighborhoods like Mansker Farms are only 15 minutes from downtown/west end outside of Rush Hour.
Agreed. Commuting from Spring Hill during rush hour is a nightmare even if you're just going to Cool Springs. Expect to be in your car well over an hour each way going to and from Vandy.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:57 AM

53 posts, read 55,192 times
That's a bummer about the commute, from everything we've read we actually are leaning towards Hendersonville now but I would like to be closer to the folks we know. My friend lives in Chapel Hill, as stated before, and he says it only takes him 50 minutes to get to work, I figured since Spring Hill is a little closer the commute would be better than his. Thank You all for the replies, greatly appreciated, I sent you a PM LeavingLo.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:53 AM

117 posts, read 97,035 times
What is Vandy?

My husband and I are moving to Nashville this spring. We are looking at the Spring Hill area as well as White House, Lebanon and Millersville.

We have a 6 month son and would like to be in a safe area. Does anyone know about Millersville?

Old 02-15-2010, 12:46 PM

1,434 posts, read 1,879,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetSky View Post
What is Vandy?

My husband and I are moving to Nashville this spring. We are looking at the Spring Hill area as well as White House, Lebanon and Millersville.

We have a 6 month son and would like to be in a safe area. Does anyone know about Millersville?
Millersville is a very small town between Goodlettsville and White House in Sumner County. It has its own elementary school but for middle and high school i believe most areas are zoned for White House schools. It's very convenient to I-65 for commuting to Nashville. It would definitely be the shortest commute out of the cities you listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville