Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:59 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,842,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
I still think that for the past decade, 2003 was the worst. We had over a foot of snow in Hendersonville and it didn't melt for over a week. I'm also thankful there have been no icestorms this year.
Really ? I lived in Madison in 2003 and don't remember that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 02:44 PM

815 posts, read 2,006,431 times
Actually, the cold is normal, yea a bit colder than usual, but prior to last winter we have been abnormally warmer than normal for winters and little to no snow so the past 7 to 9 years we have gotten used to and accepted as normal. I am a winter weather fan and keep up with whats going on in weather daily. I am only 29, but I remember from the time I was like 3 up to around 17 actually having decent snows, more than 3 inches. My parents have pictures from around 1983 or 1984 with me in a snow suit on a sled with a hudge amount of snow. I especially remember the blizzard of 93, which especially hit South East areas of Davidson County, Antioch, and other counties south and east of Nashville, that snow had drifts up to a two feet I remember, it was around 8 to 10 inches of snow that one snow storm. I also remeber it getting down to zero during that storm. I think it actually hit in March. Im sure everyone remebers the Ice Store of 94, horrible, never want that again. Parents have also made mention of big snows in the late 70's as well, 5+ inches. With me being a hudge weather fan, could be a meterologist if I wanted, I really notice patterns in weather. I don't know if anyone has noticed or not, but ever since the tornado hit in 98, the two that went directly through downtown Nashville, our weather pattern completly changed, especially the winters. Ever since the tornado outbreak in 98, the Mid State has seen a major tornado every year in almost every city in Middle Tennessee, ending with the devistating one in Murfressboro last spring. I don't remember hearing anything about tornados like that, and other dangerous storms, or Middle Tennesse being considered Tornado Alley until recently, past 10 years. Its like it stopped snowing in the winter and started having tornados in the spring, kind of weird...
Last year we actually started having snow again and colder winters with the exception of the snow storm of 02. Southern and Eastern areas of Davidson county actually saw up to 5 inches last January while areas North and West saw nothing during that storm. Schools were actually closed last year too when the low tempt reached near zero one particular time. So I don't know exactally whats going on with the weather, but I think we may be actually going back to a normal winter and the 70 degree days in January will be memories. IDK!

Old 02-17-2010, 03:06 PM

7,500 posts, read 17,107,427 times
Definitely abnormal. We've had (collectively) over 20 inches here in northeast TN and I've seen some pictures of Mt Juliet and other burbs from relatives there.

Let's put it this way, my friends in central Louisiana built a snowman.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:10 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,828,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Really ? I lived in Madison in 2003 and don't remember that...
Yeah, I had to drive back to Hendersonville from Clarksville that morning and it was just beginning to snow as I was leaving. It took me 30 minutes to get to I-24 from APSU campus and then it took 5 hours from Clarksville to Hendersonville.

I just checked the Nashville wikipedia article and it said Nashville got 7 inches in that storm. But, in the Shackle Island area north of Hendersonville, where I lived at the time, it was definitely a foot. I've got the pictures to prove it, lol.

From Wikipedia
"The largest one-day snow total was 17 inches (430 mm) on March 17, 1892. The largest snow event since 2000 was on January 16, 2003, when Nashville received 7 inches (180 mm) of snow in a single storm; the largest on record was 17 inches (430 mm), received on March 17, 1892."

Old 02-17-2010, 04:21 PM

Does anyone from Nashville remember the more recent snows and ice storms of the 1980's and early 90's, that were all much worse than what we have experienced this year? I remember being in school one year during the early 90's until June 10th, after the scheduled ending of around May 23rd, and that was before the built in snow days, meaning we missed at least 10 days of school that year that we had to make up. Also, being a snow lover now and as a child, I don't remember all these snow showers, and flurries, at 20 degrees, that just blow all around and don't stick. As a child, through the 80's and early 90's, I remember it would either snow, or not snow. If It came down, it alot of times came as ice first then snow, or just would not come at all, so this little flurry stuff is new.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:37 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,828,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Does anyone from Nashville remember the more recent snows and ice storms of the 1980's and early 90's, that were all much worse than what we have experienced this year? I remember being in school one year during the early 90's until June 10th, after the scheduled ending of around May 23rd, and that was before the built in snow days, meaning we missed at least 10 days of school that year that we had to make up. Also, being a snow lover now and as a child, I don't remember all these snow showers, and flurries, at 20 degrees, that just blow all around and don't stick. As a child, through the 80's and early 90's, I remember it would either snow, or not snow. If It came down, it alot of times came as ice first then snow, or just would not come at all, so this little flurry stuff is new.

Yes I remember ice storms in the 90s. I remember a good 2 inches of ice coating everything in my neighborhood and not being able to leave after the ice had melted because of trees and powerlines crossing the streets. School was out for over a week because no one had electricity. I remember my street was split between NES and CEMC. The CEMC customers got their power back 3 full days before the NES customers...so cruel! lol.

I also remember a big Christmas day snow in 92 or 93 I think. That was amazing.

I also remember that the snows we would get were usually the wet and heavy snow that would stick to everything and was much prettier than these powdery snows.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:58 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,674,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Does anyone from Nashville remember the more recent snows and ice storms of the 1980's and early 90's, that were all much worse than what we have experienced this year?
Yeah, I'm only a year older than you and I remember much more snow during the 80s and early 90s. I don't remember the exact year, but when I was young one night it got down to about -14. And I can remember seeing fairly deep snow drifts piled up at our back door, which was glass so I could really see how deep it was. But for the most part, Murfreesboro has a strange habit of getting no snow when everyone else in Middle TN does. I remember a few years back they were saying on the news that Columbia had gotten 11 inches of snow, and here we got nothing. I can recall numerous winters watching the snow on radar as it split and went around just Murfreesboro, hitting everyone else in the region. For someone who likes winter weather, that's frustrating!

Edit: In my lifetime I can only recall one white Christmas. I've seen lots of flurries on that day, but it never sticks!

Old 02-17-2010, 07:35 PM

Yes! Yes! Yes! there are some young Nashvillians, born since the 70's, lol, who remember that Nashville did used to get snow all the time, since the 70's. I was starting to think that maybe I was raised in Michigan and just didn't know it since everyone had seemed to had forgot, LOL.
And yes to [SIZE=5]vivelafrance[/SIZE] the snows were a lot heavier and wetter and would actually stick on contact. Thats what I was talking about how this snow we get now is always so powdery, its so weird how it has changed... almost like the ingredients have changed for winter weather, just like trans fats have been taken out of foods, etc. and fast foods taste different than years ago, same for our winter weather, something has been missing over the past several years, LOL, maybe its coming back and we'll start getting our snows back!!!!!!
I hate it when people not native to the Nashville area, living here only 5 years or less, say stuff like, it never snows in Nashville, don't even need a coat....WRONG!!!

Old 03-04-2010, 04:51 PM

7 posts, read 26,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
I moved just north of Nashville a little over 2 years ago after being told by my realtor that we don't get snow here and I don't need to bring winter coats or shovels (so I got rid of all of that).

I can't believe how cold and how much snow we are getting. The first snow of 6" I shoveled with a snow shovel I finally found the day before the storm. I was the only one in my neighborhood to shovel. My neighbor told me everyone could tell I came from up north because they don't do anything when it snows.

I moved here to get away from the snow and am now thinking I made the wrong move.

Has anyone lived here awhile that can tell me if this is the way winter is supposed to be here? On the local news, the weatherman said 9" if the average for this area.
First of all, Barb, welcome to Middle Tennessee! I cannot imagine your realtor telling you not to bring a winter coat. That was certainly the first time I have ever heard anyone say that! It's always cold here in the wintertime, and most people (I've lived in TN all my life, 56 years to be exact) who live in TN certainly own winter coats and wear them. I am of the age to where I am always "warm" but geez, telling you not to bring your winter coat is odd advice and most certainly misleading. I cannot imagine your realtor saying that unless they are comparing our winters to those in Michigan or even Chicago. It DOES get very cold here but our cold snaps, especially those in the single digits, don't last as long as they do in the North. It's still very cold in December, January and February as well as late Fall and early Spring.
As for a snow shovel, no, you don't typically need one here BUT we do have winters with snow. We used to have more snow than we do now and there are articles online about the snow average decrease over the past 40 or so years in Tennessee. The average of 9 inches is over the years that they've been averaging and that is a long time. That said, we do have snow here and even though we haven't had many years as of late with as many accumulating snowfalls as this year, snow is not at all unusual or surprising. This year, as evidenced in most of the country, has been an unusual winter but it hasn't been as unusual a winter for us here, as it has been for those in the Northeast. You're very wise to ask other people who live here about this because your realtor doesn't sound like he/she is from this area OR didn't want to scare you away from TN. Regardless of the reason, you will love living here as everyone I know who moves here loves it and wants to stay. I know so many other corporate transferees who have moved here with their jobs who have lived all over the country and once they live here, they don't want to leave. That says a lot right there. Many of them will even change jobs in order to stay. WE did!! We've been here in the Nashville area since 1983 and wouldn't dream of living anywhere else.
Good luck to you and go to Macy's and buy a winter coat for next year while they're on end of season clearance!

Old 03-04-2010, 09:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,543 times
The amount of snowfall has been severe for Nashville. I am a hot weather person. Let's hope 90 degrees gets here quick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville