Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 09:03 AM

10 posts, read 18,124 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone. So, I finally got an interview with a company in West Nashville. I'll be in Nashville on Wed., the 24th. Since I live out of town, I wanted some advice on the best way to maximize my time in Nashville. My interview is fairly early in the day, so I wanted to use the rest of the day to look for other places to apply in case I don't get the job I'm interviewing for. I like the downtown area, so I thought I'd just park somewhere and go sort of door to door collecting applications and handing out resumes. Is that a good idea, or do you have some other suggestions and strategies for how to go about a day of job hunting? I'm looking for a secretary position, so I don't have to have a specific industry to focus on, although I'd love to have something in the Entertainment or Publishing fields. Tell me your ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 06:40 PM

34 posts, read 52,269 times
Bring your walking shoes as you will be going up & down hills, it is going to be in the 20's & high of 40, and the downtown is very spread out. Make sure you park in a reputable parking garage & not an open lot. It will probaly cost you $10-$20 in a parking garage, but it is well worth it. If you decide to "just park" bring lots of quarters, those meters will suck you dry! Alot of the larger Publishing Companies are not downtown, they are off of Donelson Pike near the airport. One last thing, the unemployment rate in TN is 11%. I would be sure to solidify a job before you make the move. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2010, 07:38 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
You could take I-65 south to Brentwood and head to Maryland Farms, an office park where hundreds of companies are located, including several corporate headquarters. I can't think of a lot of entertainment/publishing companies there except M. Lee Smith. But if you're looking for any administrative position, you'd get a lot of bang for your buck in that area. PLus you can park free in the lots of the various office buildings, and there are places to eat all throughout. It's off the Old Hickory Boulevard exit at the intersection of Franklin Road and Maryland Way.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:48 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,715,894 times
And if you do park downtown, be careful to make sure it's a real lot. There was story on the news tonight about people pretending to be parking attendants in private lots, taking money from people for parking, and then their cars getting towed. So make sure the parking lot looks legit before parking there.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:18 AM

10 posts, read 18,124 times
Thanks guys, lots of good info. I will definitely check out those areas. I don't know a lot about parking in Nashville. What are some of the best places to park? Safe, legit, conveniant, and don't cost a ton.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:18 PM

97 posts, read 271,087 times
I just saw your post and you are probably already traveling, but hopefully you'll check the forum once more before your day in Nashville

The best place to park downtown is the garage attached to the public library. The rates are lower than commercial garages, it's in the center of downtown, and safe. The library is on Church Street between 6th and 7th Avenues. The garage is behind it with entrances on both 6th and 7th. There is a cafe in the library where you can get a light lunch.

For other parking options there is an excellent web site: Park It! Downtown - The Parking Website of the Nashville Downtown Partnership :: Home

CMT's main office is downtown, but I cannot find a street address. There is a lot of religious publishing downtown. The Methodist Publishing House, and the the Baptist's LifeWay Publishing. Most of the large banks in the area have offices downtown.

Congratulations on getting an interview, and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville