Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:18 PM

12 posts, read 62,744 times

Advertisements

I started my first job last summer. I am now shopping for houses.

I am interested in houses that I can afford

I am now interested in two houses.

One is in White Bridge. It is a single family house, quite small, around 1000 sqft. Good for singles like me.

The other house is a townhouse in Green Hills. It is a part of a duplex, around 1200 sqft.

Apart from size differences, the first one is newer than the second one. And the second one is located in a more residential area.

Those two ask for similar prices, and are equally close to Vandy where I work. I wonder whether you would give me some suggestions about the differences betweent those two areas.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 10:47 AM

71 posts, read 201,580 times
Without more specifics- Green Hills.

WB is sketchy... You should post the addresses if you want a real opinion. White Bridge can be bad near charlotte and ok near harding road... so you cant really get a good opinion without detail.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:49 AM

813 posts, read 2,022,399 times
^ White Bridge is a small, quiet neighborhood and isn't "bad" nor "sketchy." Do you have anything to support this allegation aside from sheer proximity to Charlotte Avenue (which is frequently trashed on this board)? Is everything that's not Green Hills, Belle Meade or outside of Davidson County altogether considered "sketchy" for some of you folks?

The streets west of White Bridge Pike (Post, Kendall, Knob, Stoneway) are quite nice. I believe those homes are in the 37205 area code and these folks would scoff at the idea that their neighborhood is considered "sketchy." Those on the east side of White Bridge Pike are not quite as attractive for the most part but are comparable the closer you get to Nashville State. The homes start to change from brick, 1940's homes to the smaller cottages the closer you get to Charlotte Pike. But all these streets are very quiet and residential despite being so near a major roadway. It takes nothing more than a short walk through the entire neighborhood to see this for yourself. In fact, there's a new upscale, craftsman-style subdivision called Patina Circle practically right off the White Bridge/Charlotte Pike intersection.

If there's one area along White Bridge you may want to avoid it would be the small area on the other side of the White Bridge/Charlotte intersection that's sort of disconnected from the remainder of the backroads off White Bridge Pike. This area is fairly obvious as it's bounded by a teeny tiny community of trailer homes on White Bridge and the Kroger on Charlotte Pike.

Last edited by ariesjow; 03-03-2010 at 12:14 PM..

Old 03-03-2010, 02:34 PM

71 posts, read 201,580 times
Yeah I lived off Knob road for a couple years and lived in Nashville since mid 70's all over the city. I know what you mean but dont get in a huff. I think I stated what you did... closer to Harding better than closer to Charlotte - with pockets of areas to avoid and pockets of areas that are just fine. You can lump Green Hills as an all positive real estate investment ... there are no pockets to avoid there.

So my statement was based on location and re-sale value alone. GH is going to be a better investment than WB generally speaking. Without more details from the OP, then if they are BOTH the same price as was stated, I would say GH is the best choice. And the OP doesnt have to mow his grass there either! Give me an address for each and I may change my opinion.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:18 AM

813 posts, read 2,022,399 times
^ You said "WB is sketchy." A bit hyperbolic, don't you think?

You probably would have made you point better by simply stating GH would likely provide better re-sale value.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:04 PM
j.f

15 posts, read 48,536 times
I've lived in both areas - off White Bridge near Nashville Tech, and in Green Hills near Hillsboro and Harding. I'd go back to the White Bridge area in a heartbeat, never want to live in Green Hills again. It's very congested and trying to get anywhere on Hillsboro Road, especially during rush hours, was a nightmare. Going to the grocery store, drugstore, etc just seemed that more tedious and time-consuming in Green Hills, and the area seems to be getting too full of itself. Tiffany and Louis Vuitton are nice enough stores, but not ones you need on a daily basis. Perhaps I was just too spoiled, after 9 years of living 5 minutes from the Target on White Bridge!

Several friends live in the Knob/Kendall area and love it - especially the neighborliness of the area. The houses are closer together, which seems to foster that feeling.

Granted, things have changed a bit in Green Hills since I left Nashville two years ago. I know they've done some improvements on Hillsboro Road for example. I was there a couple of weeks ago and did a lot of driving around, looking in anticipation of our probable return to Nashville in the next year or two. It pretty much reinforced my preference for White Bridge over Green Hills, although I would also consider Hillsboro-Belmont, too (lived there for two years, 15 years ago, prices have tripled since then, unfortunately!).

Can't wait to get back to Nashville.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:17 PM
j.f

15 posts, read 48,536 times
Kendall, Knob and Stoneway are in 37209 but the neighborhoods where these streets are, Brookside and Hillwood Park, are certainly not the least bit 'sketchy'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
^
The streets west of White Bridge Pike (Post, Kendall, Knob, Stoneway) are quite nice. I believe those homes are in the 37205 area code and these folks would scoff at the idea that their neighborhood is considered "sketchy." .

Old 03-04-2010, 02:05 PM

124 posts, read 284,120 times
I lived on Knob and loved it. It was a very quiet street, nice neighbors etc, lots of people walking around with their children / dogs etc. For what it's worth, east of White Bridge, knob is actually the dividing line of 37205 and 37209. From Knob north is 37209, south is 37205. the line dips a bit south on the west side of White Bridge, down towards Vine Ridge.

Click for a Zip Code Boundary Map.

this is a neat site that shows zip code boundaries.

Having said that, I'd say green hills would be a better bet with regard to resale.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:04 PM

51 posts, read 196,964 times
What are your concerns about your purchase?

Resale? Are you trying to maximize gain or minimize the chance of a loss? Minimize chance of loss, then go with Green Hills (less likely to go down hill). Trying to maximize gain, go with WBR (that area has more room to improve).

Quality of life? If you don't like sitting in traffic, go with WBR (of course, it really depends on both locations, but generally I think WBR is less trafficy). If you would prefer to live near nothing below middle class, go with GH.

What do you do with your free time? If you need to get to upscale shopping areas quickly and frequently, then go with GH. If you need to get to inexpensive ethnic restaurants quickly and frequently, then go with WBR.

Good luck, and congrats on your home purchase...

Old 03-04-2010, 04:49 PM

12 posts, read 62,744 times
Thank you all for your replies.

I was just told the house in WB is now on a contract. I would do more house hunting over this weekend. My realtor may show me some houses at Fairview not far from Vandy either. I will try my best to enjoy such a process Also your comment on Fairview will be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville