Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,110 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Me and my husband are from Chicago and are planning on making a visit to the Nashville area sometime this year. We will probably stay downtown just to get a feel for the city, but would also like to visit a couple different suburbs to see what life is like outside of the city. For downtown - where would you recommend to stay, and what do you think are the top things to do while visiting?

For the suburbs, I've been looking on this site and it sounds like some of the nicest suburbs are Brentwood, Franklin...and possibly some others in Williamson County or around there? We are looking at a couple of different states to move to, and are keeping this one in mind.

We like Chicago but have pretty much gotten our fill of living downtown and I cannot handle the winters anymore. I have serious Seasonal Affective Disorder which takes a big toll on me.

We are looking to live somewhere that has nice homes with nice lots, great schools and friendly neighbors. Being near the city (within 30-40 minute drive) would be great so we have the option of "going" somewhere for a night out. We are conservative and religious, so it sounds like we'd probably fit in out there

I would like to know your thoughts and opinions on different areas and where you recommend we visit.

Thanks
CG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 05:56 PM

569 posts, read 1,422,284 times
Hello,

Welcome! As far as staying downtown....I've heard good things about the Hampton Inn near the Country Music Hall of Fame. It's newer and still fairly affordable. I'm not sure how conservative and how religious you are...so I'm not sure if you would enjoy the honky tonks or not? The Country Music Hall of Fame, Frist Center for Visual Arts, Schermerhorn Sympony Center are all nice if that interests you...or you could just wander around and take in the sights.

As far as suburbs....I would check out Franklin, Hendersonville, Mt Juliet, Smyrna. They are on different sides of town...but they also all have different vibes. I'm not sure which one would fit you most...so I would check them all out, if you have time.

Good Luck

Old 03-10-2010, 07:39 PM

940 posts, read 1,897,849 times
For the money, I can't think of any place better and more interesting than the Union Station hotel, where I have stayed. If money no object, the 5 star Hermitage. Both downtown.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:42 AM

215 posts, read 680,944 times
Try checking out Goodlettsville you might like it.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:31 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,353,106 times
I have stayed At a few Hotels downtown, but prefer the Hampton Inn, Newer, Free Breakfast, Free Parking. Free coffee always available, nice rooms.

I would check out Brentwood, Franklin, and posibly Mt Juliett.I'm so excited as I just found a shortcut to Mt Juliett from the Brentwood area, and it involves, no interstates! Its also senic.

Diane G

Old 03-28-2010, 11:35 AM

17,433 posts, read 13,206,904 times
We usually stay (in fact, almost always stay) at the Franklin Marriott Cool Springs. Even when we have business downtown or over near Opryland. The drive from there is no worse than anywhere else and the cost is reasonable, staff is great, restaurants (in hotel and near hotel) are great and parking is free

Old 03-28-2010, 03:09 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,716,637 times
Did you see the blog from Gwyneth Paltrow? She mentioned some cool places to eat in the city.
There is not much to do in Brentwood for tourists, but you can drive around and see some amazing houses. I love the drive down Franklin Road from Harding (off 1-65) all the way to Franklin. That takes you through a pretty part of Nashville and then past some gorgeous Brentwood neighborhoods. Radnor Lake is right off of that drive & it's a really pretty lake/hiking area right in the city.
Kalamatas is also right off Franklin Road and it has fabulous Greek food, it's my favorite for lunch. Downtown Franklin has a very cute town square with shopping, restaurants, etc.
Have fun!

Old 03-29-2010, 11:49 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,452,909 times
Plenty to do around Nashville proper for the tourist thing. And lots of other threads with good suggestions there (definitely check out the Gwyneth Paltrow blog for good restaurants/shopping ideas).

As for suburbs, Franklin/Brentwood/Hendersonville are at the top of most people's lists. I'm partial to Hendersonville, personally, but I think all 3 are great. Franklin probably has the most to do from a "visitor" perspective...lots of Civil War history there and the square is pretty neat.

To your bigger issue of S.A.D., while Nashville's winters are nothing like Chicago's, we do have a definite seasonal change here. Last winter (08-09) I specifically remember a 10-12 day period of time where the sun did not come out at all and it was very bitter. Our winters are very mild in comparison, but just be aware that you'll need to bring your winter coats (maybe not the parkas) here and that we can get prolonged stretches of bitter cold during the winter which could aggrevate your S.A.D.

Best of luck and let us know if you have questions. Everyone here is a joy and we like to help.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:42 AM

815 posts, read 2,012,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I have stayed At a few Hotels downtown, but prefer the Hampton Inn, Newer, Free Breakfast, Free Parking. Free coffee always available, nice rooms.

I would check out Brentwood, Franklin, and posibly Mt Juliett.I'm so excited as I just found a shortcut to Mt Juliett from the Brentwood area, and it involves, no interstates! Its also senic.

Diane G
Are you talking about St. Rt. 171,Mt. Juliet Rd, that turns to Hobson Pk,which turns to Old Hickory, then Burkit, I think, then turn on Nolensville, then to Concord Rd? Most of it goes through Antioch over the lake and into Mt.Juliet. If so it makes a 45 min to an hour depending on traffic, down to 15 mins from Antioch, 25 from Brentwood to Mt. Juliet. I wish they would build that area up, but yet keep it scenic, if they do we would be more like Atlanta. Its really where 840 should have been in my opinion, great place for a Nashville bypass, not too far out but far enough away.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:04 AM

815 posts, read 2,012,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Plenty to do around Nashville proper for the tourist thing. And lots of other threads with good suggestions there (definitely check out the Gwyneth Paltrow blog for good restaurants/shopping ideas).

As for suburbs, Franklin/Brentwood/Hendersonville are at the top of most people's lists. I'm partial to Hendersonville, personally, but I think all 3 are great. Franklin probably has the most to do from a "visitor" perspective...lots of Civil War history there and the square is pretty neat.

To your bigger issue of S.A.D., while Nashville's winters are nothing like Chicago's, we do have a definite seasonal change here. Last winter (08-09) I specifically remember a 10-12 day period of time where the sun did not come out at all and it was very bitter. Our winters are very mild in comparison, but just be aware that you'll need to bring your winter coats (maybe not the parkas) here and that we can get prolonged stretches of bitter cold during the winter which could aggrevate your S.A.D.

Best of luck and let us know if you have questions. Everyone here is a joy and we like to help.
Exactally, a lot of people from the north have a misconception about the weather here. I was talkin to some one form Ohio and they litterally though it was warm hear year round...LOL. It does get cold hear and prolonged stretches, and make sure you bring a rain coat and be prepared for wild weather, especially in the spring, March, April, May ...TORNADO season! So don't get too excited when you visit if it is unseasonabally warm, it is not neccessiaraly a sign good thing to come as far as weather the following days of the very unseasonablly warm weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville