Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:29 PM

297 posts, read 1,078,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyhuez View Post
I agree %110! New Yorkers please check the liberal crap at the door.
I found it hilarious that you put the percentage sign before the number. Southerners are really backwards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 03:13 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,028,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP300 View Post
I found it hilarious that you put the percentage sign before the number. Southerners are really backwards!
I've asked you before but you've never answered me. Since you have such a negative opinion of "southerners" and have opined many times that "other transplants" are the only people in Nashville that you like, why don't you just leave? We don't want you here (with your attitude) any more than you want to be here.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:30 PM

297 posts, read 1,078,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
I've asked you before but you've never answered me. Since you have such a negative opinion of "southerners" and have opined many times that "other transplants" are the only people in Nashville that you like, why don't you just leave? We don't want you here (with your attitude) any more than you want to be here.
Why would I leave, since I'm happy here. I never said that I didn't like Nashville. I just don't like the locals (generally speaking, of course). All my friends and family are transplants, and that's all I need. Cost of living is cheap, and I can live very well here. Much easier way of life than other parts of the country. I can go on, but I've stated in other threads the great things about Nashville.

As more people move here, the locals will be forced out (or will want to move) to the more rural areas. It has already happened in the past 10-20 years with the influx of immigrants and people from NYC, LA, Chicago, etc. Can't wait to see what the next decade brings. I believe the locals who reminisce of their once small Southern city are in for a rude awakening. But, I love it and looking forward to it.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:44 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,144 times
Quote:
Yuk yuk yuk. Wow, a typo dood! Yuk yuk yuk - a backwards typo from a backwards hick. Hey gimme a hit of whatever that .... oh maybe that wasn't a southerner after all.

Quote:
I believe the locals ... are in for a rude awakening. But ... looking forward to it.
Man this is the biggest display of generalized animus spewed in all directions I've ever seen on this website, kind of like a scatter gun, maybe you can find one.

I ask the bitter poster: Which non-Nashvillians would you have rather founded Belmont, Peabody, Vanderbilt, HCA, the local recording sector with its 250 studios? Which non-Nashvillians would you have rather founded Ozbourne-Hessey, Ingram Industries, Dollar General, National Life and its competitor Life & Casualty which brought my dad and his family to the area? I'm loving breaking it to you friend, but the economic underpinnings of the area and the pro-business, anti-Massachusetts style environment there sprung from the minds of locals decades before you arrived, as did the successful merger of city/county government. You're thinking of locals as a group to fade away, making your life more pleasant afterwards is a massive delusion. Get centered. Just a suggestion, since many of us former Tennesseans are considering moving back.

Last edited by groovamos; 08-03-2010 at 05:13 PM..

Old 08-03-2010, 05:32 PM

597 posts, read 2,108,451 times
Hurry up groov, you say the word and many of us will start work on the welcome back arch.

I've never really heard any one diss us so badly. I'm a native and I find most of it curious, and mostly somewhat misplaced. Sadly for you BP, we're not going anywhere which might come in handy in the event you have an emergency. Many of those you love so well will drive by you, step over you and ignore your plight be it a heart attack or a flat tire. You'll be happy to have us around to rescue you, because we will, whether we like you or not. So, if you fall out from the heat or just bad attitude, you should be sure to check to see if there's a southerner around.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Why would I leave, since I'm happy here. I never said that I didn't like Nashville. I just don't like the locals (generally speaking, of course). .......

....... Can't wait to see what the next decade brings. I believe the locals who reminisce of their once small Southern city are in for a rude awakening. But, I love it and looking forward to it.
Such arrogant hostility.

You are definitely a transplanted New Yorker, that's for sure.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:45 AM

629 posts, read 1,700,878 times
I'm a New Yorker and am in the midst of planning a move to the Nashville area and want to say that the kind of pompous arrogance displayed by BP300 is exactly why I'm leaving New York: I've simply grown to despise my fellow New Yorkers. I certainly plan on educating myself as much as possible when moving down so that I can be sure to live amongst the locals - and not a bunch of arrogant self-serving liberal transplants from NY who are simply looking to make Nashville "little NY".

Old 08-04-2010, 05:14 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,309 times
I would like to make a couple of observations. I have friends in both NC and TN and one of the biggest problems they have about NY'ers refers to them moving in and complaining about what they don't have (in relation to what they left in NYC) and trying to make the area like NYC. My friends said that everybody tries hard to accomodate newcomers and make them feel welcome but after a while, they get aggravated that these transplants try to change things rather than quietly assimilate into the community they live in. It's like they're saying, if you miss NYC so much, why did you leave in the first place?

Secondly, as far as crime rates, of course, NYC appears to have a lower crime index because there are nearly 10 million people living there as opposed to half a million in Nashville. I live in the Bronx and I walk out every morning wondering if I'm going to be a crime victim today. Somehow, I don't think that is going to happen in the Nashville area. The numbers are skewed because of the ratio of population to crime and it doesn't accurately reflect what is really going on, as far as I can see.

Anyway, just my two cents worth. Have a blessed day.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:34 AM

455 posts, read 1,140,083 times
Fortunately Nashville is a big enough place that all the pompous a**wipes like BP300 can stick together with their other pompous holier-than-thou friends and the rest of us don't have to deal with them at all!

Seriously, Nashville is big enough for everyone (for now). Personally, East Nashville doesn't do much for me (except for Shelby Park), but I'm happy it's there so that the hipsters can live happily among their own kind.

I think it's sad that BP300 wishes for the homogenization of the country (i.e. the spread of NY/Chicago/LA culture), but he ignores the fact that each of these places in fact have their own distinct culture. When I lived in NYC pretty much all the NYers I knew despised and mocked Los Angles as a vapid cultural black hole. I suspect BP300 probably did too. Now that he finds himself an outcast (probably as a result of his own attitudes) among Southerners, he looks for kinship among 'big city folks' who he previously mocked.

Anyway, I don't think the rest of us have any cause to despair. Many of the people who move here from big city areas aren't just coming down to find a lower cost of living. Many of us came specifically because we *like* the culture down here - the respectfulness, the courtesy, the warmth of the people, the wonderful food, the music - and want to strengthen and support it.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 AM

455 posts, read 1,140,083 times
PS - BP300 should be ashamed of himself/herself for wanting anyone to be 'forced out' / 'pushed out' of their city. For shame. For shame. But really not a surprising from a NYer. (And I say this as one who lived among them for 10 years but refuses to identify himself as a former NYer. I was just visiting and got stuck there for a while against my wishes!) :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville