Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 9,334 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are possibly relocating to Murfreesboro from the West Coast. Everything I have researched says this is a family friendly town. I have also understood through posts here that Lascassas is a great place to buy a home with space for a young family with good schools.

I had some specific questions if anyone could provide feedback I would appreciate it:

1. What is the closest ski park for snow skiing and how long would it take to get there?

2. Are there any good mountain biking/trails/areas? Where?

3. How is the road biking...are there many road bikers or is it uncommon to see someone on a bike.

4. Fishing & hunting: How is it in this area? What species?

5. Mosquitoes: How bad and what season do they run? Are they everywhere or just in certain areas.

6. Are there many fitness related events such as runs, triathlons, duathlons, etc?

7. I have only heard positive things about Murfreesboro, anything honest negative stuff you have to add to balance it out?

8. Are there any local country clubs where you can buy a home with access to good golf, tennis, and social activities?

Thanks again, and any feedback on any area would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 09:37 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,314 times
I think Crossville, but very rare to get good snow there. The next would be Gatlinburg, much better slope but not very good snow very often. The next would be Maggie Valley, N.C., I skied there maybe 7 years ago, more chance for good snow than the TN spots. Then you have Boone, N.C., or Beech Mt., N.C. better snow than Maggie Valley. Now here's your best bet: Southwest flies to Nashville and Albuquerque, just hop a flight and go for some great skiing at Taos, where I have also skied, better than anything else so convenient to Nashville. You will probably have to change planes in TX, or maybe Chicago. Or you can go to Los Alamos also, (near Albuquerque) where they have a facility owned and run by a co-op, open to the public, where I have also skied. Mostly advanced at Los Alamos, not much for beginners or intermediate, but no lines, ever.

So far as Colorado goes you have non-stops to Denver from Nashville, resorts less than 2 hours west of Denver.

One more thing, goggles are required much of the time in the South, they run artificial snow equipment a lot.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:38 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
3. How is the road biking...are there many road bikers or is it uncommon to see someone on a bike.
Riding in Murfreesboro can be pretty hellish, especially if you're not used to it. But there are lots of road-bikers out in the Lascassas area. In fact the owner of the bike shop lives in that area, and I believe they have an event once a year. Actually the Lascassas area is one of the few where I do see road-bikers.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:37 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
The Murfreesboro Half Marathon is coming up on May 1. Here's a link: 2010 Murfreesboro Half Marathon | The Middle Half
Nashville has a major marathon in April, the Country Music Marathon. Most serious runners participate in that.
As for road biking, Murfreesboro is a combination of heavily traveled, congested roads and two-lane roads with no shoulder. As much as cycling is growing around here, there are many drivers who resent bikers who try to ride on "our beautiful country roads," and I have heard horror stories about riders trying to hold their own against drivers who won't yield. Just know that even though people know about the 3-ft. rule, many don't care.
I have heard Beech Mtn. is the best "local" skiing, but most people I know who ski fly out west.
Bowie Nature Park in Fairview, in nearby Williamson County, has tons of bike trails.
Mosquitos: They tend to show up whenever it's warm. They are worse in the evenings and in damp areas, but I've seen them in the morning too. It depends on how humid it is. You just have to use bug spray. Personally I think chiggers and ticks are MUCH worse to deal with because their bites itch for DAYS after a mosquito bite has gone. And you don't usually know you're bitten until later.
I think the only country clubs I've heard of there are Indian Hills and Stones River, but I don't know anything about them.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:07 AM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,984 times
Hi Timshel,

I live in Murfreesboro, while I would not bike on roads too often, you can take your bike to the greenway at Old Fort Park and bike till your heart's content. We go there quite often. The scenery is beautiful. The path is quite large and runs along the river I believe the total run is about 8 miles. It is absolutely beautiful. You can also go to the walking trails at Barfield Park, quite beautiful.

As for golf, I happen to live in Indian Hills. It has a golf club, tennis, pool and playground for the kids. They have parties at the golf club all the time, dinner specials, happy hour and if you live here, the association has parties for all the holidays and they are a lot of fun. Indian Hills is a large neighborhood and we ride our bikes around all the time. There are always people out walking and biking.

If you would like, I can send you pictures of the greenway, Just DM me with your email.

Cheers,
Kim

I haven't really found any negatives since we have lived here, almost 3 years now. I really have nothing but good things to say about the boro.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 9,334 times
Thanks everyone for the good feedback

Old 03-19-2010, 10:29 AM

764 posts, read 2,549,045 times
1. What is the closest ski park for snow skiing and how long would it take to get there?
For a quick weekend trip, Gatlinburg would probably be the closest at around 220 miles away. Many of my friends go to Perfect North Slopes just outside Cincinnati; it's a little further away than Gatlinburg but not quite as far as ski slopes in NC. If you want a week-long ski vacation, head west.

I'm sure there are as Murfreesboro as many public access trails. Any local bike sop should be able to point you in the right direction.

Lots of cyclists on the roads in the Boro. Yes, often drivers get testy and don't like to share their space, but a few roads have bike lanes and as Kim said, the greenway is an excellent place to ride. Very scenic.

You'll likely have to find private land to hunt on. My friend's husband normally heads down toward Chattanooga to hunt boar, turkey and deer. It's not my thing so I don't have any first hand info. Lots of places to fish for various types of bass, crappie, catfish and you can find trout in Stones River that runs thru M'boro.

5. Mosquitoes: How bad and what season do they run? Are they everywhere or just in certain areas.
Mosquitoes are everywhere in the warmer months - it's just a part of living in the humid South.

6. Are there many fitness related events such as runs, triathlons, duathlons, etc?
Murfreesboro plays host to quite a few events as the Parks and Recreation Dept. here does a good job coming up with things to do. You'll find more variety in nearby Nashville, too.

7. I have only heard positive things about Murfreesboro, anything honest negative stuff you have to add to balance it out?
Murfreesboro is growing too fast for its own good. The infrastructure is pathetic and good old boys pretty much run the show. I'm a native to Rutherford County and it irritates the crap out of me that we can't seem to get any new blood in charge that just might be able to design a decent road around here. It's stupid as all getout. The morons who designed the idiotic and confusing service access roads around Target and Stones River Mall 20 years ago are the same ones who designed Medical Center Parkway to have a beautifully landscaped and irrigated median but no shoulders. This road is a main artery to M'boro and services the new hospital and medical corridor and because of the design, emergency vehicles can't get thru when there's heavy traffic. Stupid.
Rutherford County is a solidly middle-class area. There is variation, of course, with low-income housing and slums in some places and extremely high end, multi-million dollar homes in others but that's why I love this place so much.

8. Are there any local country clubs where you can buy a home with access to good golf, tennis, and social activities?
The Stones River Country Club is where the local social scene takes place, but most society people don't live nearby. Again, like Kim said, Indian Hills sounds like what you've described and many social events are held at the clubhouse.

Hope this helped

Old 03-19-2010, 02:55 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
I should also add that the Greenway has been extended all the way to highway 99 now, so you can get even more riding in. If you do the main trail all the way to Canonsburg, then cut through Old Fort Park and come back, and add the Gateway loop and the Battlefield, you're looking at a good 20 miles or so. Granted, for serious road biking that's not much, but it is handy (and more than enough for me!) The only problem with riding the Greenway in warmer months is the gnats. They come out by the thousands later in the day, and it's no fun at all to have your head run through a cloud of them. But it's basically unavoidable near the river.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:05 AM

49 posts, read 141,202 times
Hi Timshell,

Ober Gatlinburg
1001 Parkway
Gatlinburg, County
Tennessee
865-436-5423
Ober Gatlinburg Ski Resort & Amusement Park

It would take about 3.5 hours at the least to get there, without stopping.

My husband and I have a deep love for The Greenway. Check it out at Parks and Rec - Murfreesboro Greenway System. It is a beautiful, paved way that mostly borders the Stones River. The pictures on that website do not do it justice! It is mostly green, lush, and GORGEOUS. You can actually get off of your bike in various locations throughout the trail and wade in the shallow parts or sit on the rocks in the middle. There are so many different types of areas along the trail. There are different trailheads you can enter on. My husband and I use different trailheads based on if we want to stop and get something to eat along the way (it goes right by town in one part), see less people, or get into the nature part of it. There is even a music store near one portion of the trail where we stop to go in to look at guitars sometimes for my musician husband. It is mostly shaded by trees that hang over the top, and that coupled with the sound of the water next to you, is such a nice experience. There are a couple of bridges you will ride over as well. Some people fish in these areas below. I am not into fishing as much as my husband is though. Also, there at least two biking trails (with actual hills through woods, some are moderate-difficult from what I hear, but I would guess it may not compare to huge mountains in Colorado or anything) in Nashville and Antioch (about 25 min. from Murfreesboro, towards Nashville). There is another near Brentwood (about 40-45 min. from Murfreesboro, south of Nashville). We live in an area where we can leave our home on our bikes and get on the Greenway (there are neighborhoods like this in the Boro where this is possible). Also, they are going to expand the trail (they are saying within the next year or so). You can call the lady in charge and she may be better able to answer those questions better. Her name and number is on that website. We are getting ready to take a 2-3 hour ride on the Greenway very soon! It is supposed to be in the 70's here today and very sunny.

I am sure different people have different opinions on this based on their commute times and areas they usually drive. Overall, I just think it depends on where you live in town. It seems that you will see them mostly anywhere that is close to the Greenway, as far as the main roads go, and on more rural roads. These are usually the serious bikers with the helmets, gear, etc. On weekends and early evenings you will see more, of course, but not an everyday thing to see them.

I am not the avid fisher or hunter, but my husband knows more about this and I can ask him if you email me later to remind me , but I think catfish, croppie, bass, deer, turkey (but you may need to travel some for deer to be in more remote areas, maybe 15-30 min. or so at the least, I would guess, where there is more remote land.). I don't know of any actual hunting "places" set aside that you pay to use or how that works. Maybe if you google hunting deer Murfreesboro or Rutherford county, you may find out better answers to this?

It all depends on what you consider bad. Being from California, I would guess you may think they are bad here, compared to Cali. I have been to Louisiana and Florida and feel they are worse there. The more humid the area, the worse. We are humid, but not as humid as those places (but close in certain times). After it rains, they are a little worse. As long as you wear repellent, you should be okay. On warm summer nights if we are outside, we light the citronella torches and/or candles and sometimes wear repellent. It is just something you get used to. People don't complain much about it here, but I do always have relocating clients ask this a lot of the time when they are from drier states. Mosquitos happen to love my skin for some reason, so I have to be sure to wear repellent if in shorts and especially if I have used any scented soaps or lotions that day.

The Country Music Marathon is a popular run in Nashville they run on April 24th. In Murfreesboro, the 2010 Murfreesboro Half Marathon, “The Middle Half,” will be held on Saturday, October 16th. Not sure about any others, but do know of these at least. I bet there are triathlons too. There are lakes around here. The Percy Priest Lake (265 miles of shoreline) is in Nashville, but the closest point of that is in Smyrna by the Nissan plant, about 20 min. from Murfreesboro (maybe 15 if you live by the interstate ramp on the northernmost exit). The Percy Priest Lake info. can be found at Percy Priest Lake Information - Percy Priest Lake Tennessee Info.

Being that you are from California, I would say that you may be shocked to find that you must pay for curbside recycling. Most people do not go out of their way to recycle here, from what I see. The mosquitos and chiggers are a negative if you are not used to them and do not prepare to avoid them. The first time I went fishing with my husband here, I didn't realize what chiggers could do. We walked through tall brush (don't do this without repellant, and best not to avoid it at all) and my feet were covered in chigger bites. If I hadn't walked through there, or at least used repellent, I could have avoided that. That was the only time I encountered chiggers. I have helped many people relocate here to apartments, rentals, and to buy homes from all over the U.S. for 5 years now and I have yet to find someone that doesn't love it here. One of my friends that lives in Nashville doesn't like it here. She is single, in her early thirties, and likes going clubbing. She is a city girl at heart. She loves big city nightlife. I don't consider Murfreesboro a rural town, but if you like to live in a rural area that is just about 10-15 min. from everything, there are many areas like this all around Murfreesboro. Christiana is one of them. You can find nice homes with 1-5 acres for $80-$100 per s.f., and more if built with premium materials and upgrades. The newer homes will be on the high end, older homes on the lower end. We don't have foreclosures and short sales like most of the country, but we do have them. In Murfreesboro, they are more common in the under $160k range. In Florida, I believe 90% of the sales are foreclosures and short sales, while it seems to me that they are more like 5-10%, but mostly concentrated more in the lower ranges. We are a growing city with a smalltown feel. There is a charming "square" with shops, eateries, courthouse, etc. It is clean and updated, yet with that historical feel still. There are bars here, but I do not go to them. I am allergic to cigarette smoke and unless it is a restaurant, they are very smoky! There may be one or two that do not allow smoking, but now sure where they are. All of the restaurants are smoke-free though. We love it here because it is so much cleaner than Nashville for the most part. For instance, when you go to businesses, you don't usually see oil stains all over the parking lots unless you are at Walmart or the Dollar Store sometimes. There is minimal trash on the roads. For the most part, Murfreesboro is a well manicured town without junky cars, etc. But in some areas you will see this. We live in an area where we are within a mile or two to two grocery stores, banks, veterinary clinics, restaurants, post office, etc. It is very convenient, yet quiet in our neighborhood. We can walk to the park from our house too. There are no neighborhood restrictions here, yet everyone takes good care of their property (these neighborhoods are sometimes 5-10 years old and at least $180k-$300k). Lascassas is pretty rural. There isn't much out that way, so if you are looking for convenience, I wouldn't go out that far. It isn't that "far", but I guess my husband and I like to be close to everything, yet in a nice area that isn't loud. Oh, and the weather isn't like yours. While most of our winters are considered mild, this year was worse. We get snow every winter, and if you look at stats online, it will say 6" per year, but most years, it doesn't seem to even be 3". This year was more though. It may snow very lightly (flurries usually) 1-5 times per winter, and they close schools sometimes even for a "dusting", due to some children living in hilly areas where they do not salt the roads for buses to get through. We get rain too. An average week here would be 3-4 days of sunshine, 1-2 days of rain, 1-2 overcast days. However, our weather changes all the time, so it is hard to put that into a vague description. But being from California, I would say you may have to get used to not having 70 degree sunny days so much. The change of seasons may be nice for you though. It gets very humid and hot here in July and August.

Most of the following mentioned are not actual country clubs (except Indian Hills). Indian Hills Subdivision (I have sold real estate there). The homes range from the $190's-$400kish on asking price right now. They usually sell for close to asking price IF no major issues, clean, and "hot". For the most part, they sell for around $80-95 per s.f. right now. They are not new homes, but mostly built in the 90's and early 2000's. It is very nice and on the South side, still in city limits. Indian Hills has golf and tennis. The Crossings at Savannah (golf). Shawnee (tennis). Saragtoga (tennis). Harrison Glen (golf and tennis). Cedar Crest (golf). I could list many of these. It would just depend on the many factors you are looking for. But, there are many homes that still have good access to golf and/or tennis that actually do not have the amenities in the neighborhood. Old Fort Golfcourse is a park with a Greenway trailhead, tennis, and golf. It is in a centralized location close to the Stones River Mall. There are country clubs too. There are homes all over this town and many are not too far from the country clubs. Everything is very close to the homes here. The interstate access is good too. If you live in certain parts of town, you are only 5 minutes away from the ramps during rush hour. If you live in other parts, this can be 15-20 min. due to traffic or location.

If you haven't already checked it out, the local Chamber of Commerce website has lots of info. that I feel may be helpful to you. It is Rutherford County, Tennessee | Rutherford County Chamber of Commerce. I also have a website with many resources, but don't want to solicit on here. If schools are important to you, GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community is a wonderful resource. It isn't local, but comprehensive and you can narrow down your search to local still. We are in Rutherford county, if that helps.

Murfreesboro has a new feel to it, is clean, very friendly, and I think you will be sooo happy about the cost of living here compared to there. I will never forget when I met one of my California clients who were looking for their retirement home for the first time in person after working with them online for a few months. We went to the "Sonic" Drive In. They were in a minivan and took me with them for a tour on day #1. Their Grandmother was in the backseat row. She had to use the bathroom and the sonic worker came around to the passenger side to assit her out of the van to go to the bathroom. The family got a little freaked out, as they are used to more crime I guess. They thought the Sonic worker may have been getting ready to rob us! People smile a lot here, say thank you constantly, are mostly considerate, and it is just a very pleasant area. They had to get used to this. If someone is nice to you here, they are usually genuine and not wanting something from you. Also, they were raving over the prices here with lots of excitement on day #1. It is always fun to see this light up on their faces! I used to live closer to Nashville and unless we lived in an $800k home or higher, I don't think we would live close to Nashville. We are so happy here in this town, feel comfortable, safe, and have access to everything, yet live in an upscale neighborhood, in a top school district where the resale factor is high from what historical figures and trends show. Each neighborhood and home (if not in a neighborhood, which is slightly harder to find and more expensive) are all very different in the detailed numbers on pricing per s.f., percentage of asking price to sold price ratios, amenities, HOA (or no HOA), access to waterways, parks, etc.). I hope if you move to the Boro, that you will be as happy as we are! I have travelled across the U.S. and am very happy here. It isn't one of your more "fit" cities though. You won't find a protein shake menu section at restaurants. It isn't like California or Colorado in that respect. I used to go to a gym that is $50 per month, but now go to a new 24 hour gym that is $15 per month, has free childcare-(I don't have children, but many love this), free personal trainers, free tanning, and free aerobics and Zumba. It is just as nice as the more expensive gym, just not as big. I could go on and on about the positives though!

Last edited by Beretta; 04-01-2010 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 04-03-2010, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 14,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie10essee View Post
I have helped many people relocate here to apartments, rentals, and to buy homes from all over the U.S. for 5 years now and I have yet to find someone that doesn't love it here.
Hi Vickie. My boyfriend and I are currently looking to relocate to the Nashville/Murfreesboro area hopefully later this year from NJ. We've visited friends there while on our way up to Kentucky and absolutely love the area. We're trying to get some information ahead of time. I was wondering if you'd suggest any good areas that would be great to live in but commute to Nashville. Based on our friends suggestion of his area, we've been looking at the 37128 area code but don't really have any other leads. Other areas of murfreesboro we thought about were either too pricey, he said aren't as nice, or would be very deep in the college area. Just wondering if you knew of any good areas for most likely renting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville