Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 07:12 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,198 times

Advertisements

Coyotes/foxes/wildlife in general isn't a problem here. I'd guess 97% of Nashvillians have lived their whole life without seeing a coyote living or dead. I saw my first one just a few weeks ago and it was roadkill. I really wouldn't let it worry you too much, but I would keep an eye on small pets at night and just use some common sense in teaching kids not to approach wild animals or stray dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 08:12 AM

210 posts, read 587,681 times
I have a fox den in the very back corner of my yard, in a wooded overgrown area. I see them on occasion but they tend to stick to the cover of the trees and bushes that run along some of the property lines in my area. I also have a mystery creature that lives in my front yard next to a creek, i think it might be some kind of prairie dog (it’s not a beaver, no tail). It will sit in my front yard and munch on something that grows in my lawn then disappear back into the creek area. I have seen deer in my yard on many occasions, including one HUGE buck. He and my dog had a bit of a standoff. They stood a few feet from each other, just staring, then the buck walked off and my dog just watched in awe. I by no means live in the country, i am in the burbs, and i have an interstate running through my back yard. Yet all these creatures call my yard home

Old 04-22-2010, 06:51 AM

815 posts, read 2,016,817 times
I think Deer is what you have to look out for more than coyotes. You have to be very careful driving through most parts of surburban Nashville because deer can pop out without notice, especially after dark, when you can't see them, or early in the morning. I've never run into one, but hear it can cause major damage to your car, and even worse, bodily injury if you run off the road trying to avoid hitting one. Coyotes seem to be more common in the Southern and Southeastern parts of the county for some reason. When I first saw this post I figured it was probally in or around that area. Its been repored on the news many times spottings of packs of coyotes anywhere from the Rador Lake area, to Brentwood to Cane Ridge and Antioch areas. Their increased sittings, as well as the deer and other wild life, are probally due to their natural habitats being taken over by human developments, which is especially the case in Southern and Southeastern Davidson County. My only fear of wild life, that I wish would stay in wild life is snakes... hate them!

Old 04-22-2010, 08:23 AM

51 posts, read 197,675 times
Coyotes also live along the 4-40 corridor; they are a problem in urban neighborhoods, too.

See link:
http://www.nashvillecoyotes.com/sigh...issingpets.htm

Last edited by EvelynTN; 04-22-2010 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: add link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville