Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 07:56 AM

31 posts, read 156,433 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in Toledo, Ohio ;( now, and the house is up for sale!!!! We have been planning to move to Knoxville, but I am quite concerned with work. He is a union commercial carpenter, and laid off here 8 months of the year. I thought Knoxville would be better-until I got so much negative feedback! I am a medical biller, so I'm sure I can find SOMETHING to tide me over. But we are in our late 20's, have a 4 year old and 1 year old, and I can't afford to move somewhere that we can't work. Just wondering if construction is 'booming' in Nashville, and where a good place to start looking at raising kids would be. Any help is appreciated. I really thought we were positive about Knox, but now not so much...Again, thanks to any advice that can be given!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 08:07 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Well, I hope it's not booming (that sort of has negative connotations; as in "boom and bust"), but, yes, construction activity continues at a healthy pace in Nashville, and most of the rest of upper Middle Tennessee, in both the residential and commercial areas.

By the way, I work for a major engineering firm. We usually feel a slowdown in construction earlier than the actual construction companies do. So far, there hasn't been one.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:57 AM

thank you so much! we just need to be sure there is work to be done!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:04 AM

There could be a bit of a showdown in the next few months in residential construction. They seem to have overbuilt by a little at the moment. It shouldn't be really bad, but it could lessen construction for a time. Commercial seems to be doing just fine.

The one problem I see for your husband: "union". It's not the same here as it is "up north". You might want to check to see if the situation here is acceptable.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:06 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,424 times
Well, there are no 100% guarantees. I think it is safe to say that Ohio has gotten hit HARD with foreclosures and a massive slowdown in their housing market, which is why I assume you're thinking of moving. Nationally, there is a slowdown. But as the reports show, most areas not affected as much by the boom-meaning they didn't get overpriced ( yet) are still doing decently. Every time I go and visit family in Knoxville, they are building cities full of Mcmansions and suburban dwellings. There has been a slowdown in home sales in TN, but only about half of what most states show.Latest reports in Nashville show a 6.5% drop. Not bad when considering that some of the pricey areas have well into the double-digit drops, month over month.That is probably one of the reasons states like TN, NC, and GA are showing slowdowns because 'feeder' states can't sell homes as fast allowing people to relocate.

The good thing going for TN ( for now) is that prices are still affordable enough to make moving there still worthwhile. That and retirees seem to be flocking there since they already filled up FL. So I'd say that it would be a safer bet to say that TN would have a healthier construction industry than OH. Do careful research and make sure that if you do move here that you can survive off your salary in case things aren't rosy all the time.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:27 AM

He is trained in residential bulding, but is actually a "commercial" carpenter. So as long as new businesses are going up, and old businesses are expanding, he'll probably be ok. And we're BROKE up here. At least we can be poor and look at mountains instead of oil refineries. He can always try something different too, I guess. It's just scary. Thanks for your help!

Old 06-12-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandak View Post
He is trained in residential bulding, but is actually a "commercial" carpenter. So as long as new businesses are going up, and old businesses are expanding, he'll probably be ok. And we're BROKE up here. At least we can be poor and look at mountains instead of oil refineries. He can always try something different too, I guess. It's just scary. Thanks for your help!
I can easily get you the names of the top ten or twenty contractors in the Nashville area and their addresses. You could see what happens if you send in a resume and cover letter.

By the way, Knoxville might be "booming" too for all I know. I just don't keep with construction activilty in that area unless I'm working on a project there.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:46 AM

That would be not only greatly appreciated, but wonderful!

Old 06-20-2007, 03:01 PM

4 posts, read 11,706 times
My Dad moved to Spring Hill, TN about 2 years ago. That place is growing like crazy. As a matter of fact, my father told me that they don't even have to pay any home owners taxes because the county is making so much money off of new applications to build. Of course, I am sure that is only temporary. Spring Hill is about 30 or 45 minutes south of downtown Nash. Right off of I-65. I visit several times a year and am always pleased with the city's growth. Spring Hill is also very family oriented. I have an 18 yr old sister and a 5 year old brother. That is one of the main reasons they chose to move there. Great schools and tons of nice parks for the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandak View Post
My husband and I live in Toledo, Ohio ;( now, and the house is up for sale!!!! We have been planning to move to Knoxville, but I am quite concerned with work. He is a union commercial carpenter, and laid off here 8 months of the year. I thought Knoxville would be better-until I got so much negative feedback! I am a medical biller, so I'm sure I can find SOMETHING to tide me over. But we are in our late 20's, have a 4 year old and 1 year old, and I can't afford to move somewhere that we can't work. Just wondering if construction is 'booming' in Nashville, and where a good place to start looking at raising kids would be. Any help is appreciated. I really thought we were positive about Knox, but now not so much...Again, thanks to any advice that can be given!

Old 06-20-2007, 06:28 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Amanda-

I have followed your posts, and your frequent mention of your husbands union affiliation, and want to give you some direct, honest advice that a previous poster touched upon. I am a native Tennessean who has lived on this earth probably long enough to be your Mom and what I have to say might best be read while taking a spoonful of sugar. There are unions in TN, and I am not debating unions, however, to get the most bang for your buck you and your hubby should not - at least initially - mention "union". Drop it from your vocabulary altogether. My husband is very good friends with Linda Chavez-Thompson (executive vice president of the AFL-CIO) and I am not saying that unions are bad, but I am telling you that you will learn that the South can be silent and strong and doors will shut all while people have a smile on their face and call you "Sugar". And that applies to any word, phrase, person, etc. when people don't like what they are hearing. We are too polite a people to tell you to your face, you will just continue to not quite be the "right fit".

Best of luck to you and your family in your quest for your new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville