Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 04:53 PM

91 posts, read 202,430 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I have decided it's time to move. This week is my last week working here in Ohio. Then we are taking a week off here to pack up and will be down the Monday after the 4th of July. Neither of us have solidified a job yet, nor have we found a place to stay. The East Nashville area is a bit sparse with housing right now it seems. So I am wondering how the Madison area is? I've found a couple places there and it's still pretty close to the city and seems affordable. Is it good or bad? Are there any neighborhoods or streets to stay away from? I've found a place near Gallatin pike/Due West Ave, how is that vicinity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 06:50 AM

569 posts, read 1,419,266 times
If you are in a tight spot and need to keep the cost down and have found a place that will work...I guess Madison would be ok. Just keep in mind that it's not going to be like East Nashville per se. There won't be any shops, restaurants or bars to walk to. It's an older area...but it has more of a suburb feel. I've driven by Gallatin Road and Due West. It's a congested area...but I'm not sure how living there would be? I don't know enough about Madison to tell you which streets to stay away from. I have driven through some of the neighborhoods that seem pretty nice....so I think you COULD find something there. I just didn't want you to have the impression that it's going to be anything like living near 5 Points in East Nashville. Also...I guess if it were me, if you are looking in Madison...I would also look at other areas like Donelson or parts of south and west Nashville.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:54 PM

Thank you. I definitely understand it's not going to be like East Nashville/5 points. The deal is I've got a little over 2 weeks to find something thats going to work and if we have to, short term, find somewhere. I at least want it to be a relatively safe area. Even if it doesn't offer the same atmosphere as East Nashville.

Our ultimate goal is to end up there, but just to find a place to call home until we reach that point. I will look at Donelson and other areas.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:11 PM

Yeah....I wouldn't rule any area out if it's just going to be short term. Is the place directly on Gallatin Road and Due West? Or is it just in that area? If it's on one of those roads...I would not want to live there...but just in that vicinity might not be bad. It's SO difficult to give people advice sometimes on an area...but I think you have the right mind set. Get something temporary and start exploring once you get here. I don't think you can really get a good feel for a place on the internet....even though it's a great tool.

Good Luck and let me know if you have specific questions that I can help with

Old 06-23-2010, 09:44 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,483,646 times
I just read through this thread, and when I read the OP, I immediately thought of Madison (as it's near the area where you will be working)... and there are a lot of early postwar homes that are in great shape in that area. Plus, you have two very good hospitals in the area, and it's a very established family oriented area of town. In contrast, the area to the west of I-65 is a bit more iffy... with great neighborhoods right next to rough patches. So concentrate your search in the area of Madison that runs generallly along Graycroft. Look also in the area just north of Due West Ave. (bordered by Due West/Gallatin/I-65). Good luck!

Old 06-24-2010, 06:24 AM

dustinsn3485....it had been a while since I read the first part of this thread. I forgot that you would be working on the north side of Nashville. Like shinestx said....Madison does make more sense than other areas, especially since it's going to be temporary. Donelson would still be ok, as you would have Briley as access to 65 North...but Madison would probably be the logical choice. I'll also second his recommendation about the area around Graycroft. There are some nice, well kept homes in that area.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:39 AM

374 posts, read 690,408 times
Dustin: For rentals, have you checked out this site? RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Property Finder

Also, Google 'Nashville Property Management' and you'll find a list of firms that have properties listed on their sites.

if you find a place for sale that you really love, talk to the owner/agent. If it's been on market for a really long time you might find they'll be willing to lease for awhile (a friend just did that in Green Hills).

Good luck.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:21 PM

I haven't been on here much to read the responses. I am in Nashville now. That job didn't work out so location isn't so important now. Today is the first day I've been able to travel the area and do some rental hunting.

I found a few places around the area of petway/mc ferrin/seymour in what I'm guessing is Greenwood area of East Nashville. The homes seem very diverse from, for lack of better word, ghetto to upscale beautiful homes. Is that a nice area or something to generally stay away from? The places I saw I felt comfortable around, but I don't want to plant myself in a bad neighborhood just because there are a handful of nice houses.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:34 PM

124 posts, read 284,438 times
there was a point in time where north of gallatin rd in that part of east nashville would have been considered scary, but it seems to be cleaning up nicely on the whole. that said, there will still be some rough patches, which it sounds like you've found.

one thing you might want to check out is the riverside village area if you haven't already. it's not nearly as developed as five points, but you'll get a lot more bang for your buck out there, and it has a lot of momentum and a very good vibe. shops are opening left and right, and it's still inexpensive enough that you could probably live walking distance to the shops on practically any budget, and it's reasonably safe.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:08 PM

boingolover, wow! I've been researching that area and found a Riverside Village website. That looks awesome and similar to 5 points. I did not even know it was there, but it definitely has a lot of similar shops, etc. It's still only a couple miles to the older 5 points area too! I am glad you spoke up about that area, I think I accidently drove over there earlier today and didn't even realize everything there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville