Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,584 times

Advertisements

I'm a 26 year old single female looking to move to Nashville in Jan/Feb from Connecticut. My family moved to the area a few years ago and I really like it down there. I'm looking for a serious change of pace.

I currently work as a medical secretary/office manager for a physician, but am looking to make the switch out of the healthcare field. I am really interested in working in the music/entertainment industry in probably some sort of adminstrative position. Does anyone have any reccomendations on the best way to start a job search for that field?

Also, if anyone has any reccomendations as to what areas to look into living I'd appreciate it. I would really prefer to live closer to downtown, but want to make sure I am in a safe area.

Any other advice or reccomendations are more than welcome on anything else I would need to know about moving to the area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 07:56 PM

957 posts, read 3,699,977 times
You would probably do quite well in your current field. The music business is hard to break into. Businesses can get interns from the local schools for nothing or next to nothing to fill admin jobs. The health care field is very strong here. I'd get a job doing that then see what you can find in the music business.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:10 PM

71 posts, read 179,635 times
I'm from CT too, moved here several years ago and haven't looked back since. You will not regret it. I agree, being single and in your 20's you will want to live near downtown, but not right downtown. I would look at Midtown or Green Hills. I would also look at renting in one of the nice new condos around here. There are some great highrise condos that all went up in the past few years. See if there is anything available in The Velocity or The Icon. If those don't suit you, there are lots of other good options.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:58 AM

274 posts, read 762,051 times
Do it..do it! I am trying to get there myself...

Old 05-13-2010, 09:01 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
You would probably do quite well in your current field. The music business is hard to break into. Businesses can get interns from the local schools for nothing or next to nothing to fill admin jobs. The health care field is very strong here. I'd get a job doing that then see what you can find in the music business.
This.

The music business may seem glamorous from afar, but it is far from it on the inside. If you even manage to land a paid position, you'll be working like a dog for couch change.

Stick with healthcare. You will be glad you did.

Also, to receive advice on this site, 21-35 year old female newcomers are required to post pictures. Let's see what you've got.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:30 AM

274 posts, read 762,051 times
lol...that Pimpy...never changes..haha

Old 05-13-2010, 11:06 AM

49 posts, read 141,215 times
Hi Lbel26,

If you can handle moving here and not being in the music business, then make the move and look at working on that for a while. I am not saying it is impossible, but it is very hard to break into the music business here unless you already have family or major contacts that are already in it. I know people that work in it and my husband is a paid musician/singer/songwriter in Nashville. He is on the radio sometimes and does well considering that he gets paid anything at all. There are so many musicians here trying to go after their dream (thousands) that love the exposure that will play just for tips (and sometimes do not get tips even if they are really good), that bar owners do not pay well or at all for gigs. My husband has been paying his dues for years now and is one of the best paid. Making contacts is what it is all about, and it took him years to have them let him in the "circle". There are some people not very talented that may either have a great look or know the right people that make it. The most talented sometimes are overlooked still. It is tougher than you may think. If you have a degree from Belmont or Vandy in the music business industry, you will be lucky to even make $30k per year, knowing people. Many musicians here either have someone financially supporting them for years until they get somewhere (most don't, even if good), or they wait tables or bartend to make ends barely meet. There are so many people wanting music industry admin jobs too. Not easy.

Midtown, Green Hills, Velocity, and The Icon-VERY expensive! One person mentioned these. If you make $80k per year you may find a tiny place in these places. Living downtown or near downtown is very pricey to be in a good area, and it will be small. If you are okay with this (500-800 square feet apartment or high rise) and have $1500-2000 per month for rent for one or two bedrooms, you will be okay. I have seen rentals in Green Hills start at $1400 (and the one I saw for that was a one bedroom older condo with some mold). You probably want to rent starting out, since your job change could hinder approval (not always though). Craigslist is a good place to look for rentals (but be careful) but pictures can be deceiving and if it is priced around $650 or less for a one bedroom, it is either someones' basement, room in their home, or not in the area you want. There are really nice apartments in Cool Springs (look in Brentwood or Franklin) for rent that are in a great area (about 10-15 min. to downtown) and a very awesome area for shopping and dining. It is quite well manicured. There are a lot of wealthy people in that area, if you like that. Look on apartmentguide.com. You can look in Green Hills (close to downtown), but it is pricey! If you like artsy, then East Nashville is the place, but is expensive and not sure if you would be comfortable. It is spotty as far as area goes. Be VERY careful and check everything out-all streets around you, before making a decision.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Vickie

Old 05-13-2010, 12:01 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
I lived in Green Hills when I first moved here as a 23 yr. old single woman. It's a great area, in the center of town, pretty safe for an urban area. I would also consider Nipper's Corner (Edmondson Pike & Old Hickory Blvd.). I have several friends who lived there when we were all single girls and they liked that area. It would be cheaper than Green Hills or Franklin, but still a great location. Just don't go east of Edmondson Pike.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,584 times
Thanks for all the responses! They're all very helpful. I'm thinking I'll definately start out looking in the health care industry, as I have seen on sites like careerbuilder and moster that there are a lot of opportunities in the field. It's difficult to really look for a job from so far away especially if it's in a completely different area from what I have experience in.
I'm looking forward to getting down there and really checking out the different areas. You guys have given me some good places to start!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville