Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 04:37 PM

8 posts, read 30,082 times

Advertisements

Hello all - I'll be going to Vandy in the fall for grad school. Opinions on the Fountains and Royal Arms? Walkability would be nice for lessened gas prices - obviously not to Vandy, both are too far, but maybe coffee shops etc. I've seen several opinions on Royal Arms here but not many about the Fountains. Are they very different areas? Thanks for your help!
sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 08:56 PM

813 posts, read 2,026,654 times
Default My lengthy but detailed rundown of both areas...

Royal Arms is in Green Hills close to Hillsboro Pike. The Fountains are in the White Bridge neighborhood right on White Bridge Pike. Both areas are a 10 minute drive from each other and about the same distance away from Vanderbilt. So, if you don't mind a short drive, you essentially have the amenities from both areas at you disposal from either complex. I've never been to either complex so I can't compare them but I do live in the White Bridge area and frequent Green Hills multiple time each week because of the close proximity. Both seem to be in reasonably walkable areas to be 3-4 miles outside of the core (at least by Nashville standards).

Provided you can avoid getting ran over on Hillsboro Pike , Royal Arms is a reasonable walk to the Mall at Green Hills (poshest mall in TN w/ a large Regal Cinemas), the Hill Center at Green Hills (Whole Foods, California Pizza Kitchen, etc.), Blue Bird Cafe, Trader Joe's, Kroger and pretty much everything else in Green Hills. There are at least a couple of Starbucks within walking distance to Royal Arms. Radnor Lake is also close. The main drawback to Green Hills will be the obscene traffic. You will abhor it and it will be virtually unavoidable due to the location of Royal Arms. Otherwise, you're arguably closer to more shopping in Green Hills which is a huge benefit if you like upscale shopping.

Provided you can avoid getting ran over on White Bridge Pike , the Fountains is a reasonable walk to Lions Head Village (Target w/Starbucks), Belle Meade Plaza (w/ Kroger & Starbucks), the Hill Center at Belle Meade (Publix, Moe's), Belle Meade Town Center (Harris Teeter), and the Richland Creek Greenway. The amenities near the Fountains are not as posh but you're also a very short drive to the spanking new Nashville West lifestyle center (Costco, another Target, World Market, Old Navy, Best Buy, etc., etc., etc.). You can literally hang a left on Knob Road and be in Nashville West in about five minutes sans traffic. If cheap cultural cuisine is your thing, you'll also be close a ton of options along Charlotte Pike.

Basically, if you like both apartment complexes about the same, you cannot go wrong with either area especially since they are so close to each other. Neither will offer the hipness of the Midtown neighborhoods around Vandy like Hillsboro Village but they have WAY more "real life" amenities. You're about equidistant to Vandy from both but I imagine the Fountains would be a little quicker of a commute due to the aforementioned Green Hills traffic.

In summation:

Royal Arms (Green Hills): so-so walkability, more upscale cache and amenities, the Mall and movie theater, annoying traffic, and Radnor Lake nearby.

The Fountains (White Bridge): White Bridge: so-so walkability, more practical amenities but less cache, Nashville West, and greenway down the street.

Good luck

Old 05-14-2010, 07:57 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,014,215 times
Royal Arms has a very "college" feel to it, but you might not mind considering you're in grad school. It is safe and in a good location, but the traffic on Hillsboro Road is brutal. Luckily, there are tons of backroads that can get you out of Green Hills without too many issues.

The Fountains, even though it is within walking distance to Belle Meade (the most exclusive area of Nashville), is still questionable in my opinion. White Bridge gets progressively rougher as you make your way from Hwy 70 to Charlotte Pike, and The Fountains is right in that in-between zone. You will probably be fine there, but my guess is that your quality of life would be better at Royal Arms.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:10 AM

210 posts, read 586,702 times
I would personally choose Royal Arms. Yes there are college students, mostly Lipscomb Students, and at Lipscomb you have to be 21 (or a junior) to live off campus. So at least the eliminates the 18 year olds. But there are also other folks there as well...all the way up to grannys who have lived there for ages. You would be within walking distance form great shopping, good coffee and book stores...pretty much everything you could need. Green hills is a great area, especially is you can walk places (because the traffic does completely suck, but its sucks in a Nashville way, not a NY way). Good luck with your decision and welcome (hopefully) to Nashville!!!

Old 05-14-2010, 11:37 AM

813 posts, read 2,026,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
The Fountains, even though it is within walking distance to Belle Meade (the most exclusive area of Nashville), is still questionable in my opinion. White Bridge gets progressively rougher as you make your way from Hwy 70 to Charlotte Pike, and The Fountains is right in that in-between zone.
The Fountains are right across the street from Lions Head Village and next door to Paddock Place (J. Alexander, 2 Danes, etc.). It's certainly not Green Hills or Belle Meade but there's nothing particularly "questionable" about that stretch.

Please quit with the overzealous fear-baiting. It's beyond obnoxious. Every poster seeking an honest answer doesn't need all your baggage and jaded perceptions.

Last edited by ariesjow; 05-14-2010 at 12:24 PM..

Old 05-14-2010, 12:57 PM

They both sound pretty equivalent...from everyone's answers and online searches, it seems like a draw. Anyone know anything about the complexes themselves? Know someone who lived there or something?

Also, does anyone know of anything closer to Vandy under $750/2BR that is still good? I've kind of given up hope on that but maybe...?

Old 05-14-2010, 04:13 PM

There are going to be very few options...unless you are willing to go with a studio apt. If that is something you are willing to do the I suggest you look at The Westboro (on West end and within walking distance to Vandy), Blackstone Apartments (once again on West End, but a bit further away than the first place). These are both really neat older buildings, so they will actually have a bit of charm. Belmont Place (this one I think had 1 bd 1 bth in your price range, not within walking to vandy but it’s in the cool 12th south area).
I have personally been in some of the units at Royal Arms (had friends that lived there when I was in college) and while they were not super updated they were clean and nice…just FYI. Good luck, and don’t give up! Let me know if you need anything else!!

Old 05-14-2010, 04:15 PM

Oops...sorry i missed the 2 bedroom thing...guess a studio will not work...sorry So with that my answer is... doubtful that you will find something within walking distance to vandy at that price with 2 bedrooms that is not actively fall down around you.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 6,299 times
Are you wanting to buy or lease? If you are buying - only one excellent choice - Belle Meade Court - [url=http://www.BelleMeadeCourt.com]Belle Meade[/url]

Old 05-21-2010, 11:20 AM

Hey friends. So we've downsized and are now looking for a 1BR apartment...Fountains and Royal Arms are still on the list as well as Waterford Place and Crossings of Bellevue. Should I be looking anywhere else? I'd like to be on a busline or within walking distance of Vandy (not holding my breath on walking distance...but!). And we can't go above $750. I'm budgeting (alot...and again and again), so any ideas about average utility cost?

Also, are Nashville buses safe or skeezy? My mother gets an ill look on her face when I talk about using them. I think they are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville