Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 08:36 PM

112 posts, read 522,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
You are not alone. I live in Murfreesboro and am sick and tired of it. However, my situation is very different from yours. I've lived here my entire life, so I imagine part of my desire to leave is simply because I desperately need a change. I also must say, I think I'd prefer Murfreesboro over most other areas of middle TN, even though I'm not terribly fond of it. I have several complaints that are fairly minor so I won't even bother mentioning them, but my biggest problem with living here is the heat and even more so, the humidity. You'd think after living here all my life I'd start to get used to it, but I never do. 6+ months out of the year are pure misery for me. But I do like our winters here. Cold enough to be interesting, but not too cold. And I like snow because I rarely see it, but I'm sure it would get very old to deal with it very often for 6 months out of the year. At this point in my life I think I'd take brutal winters over brutal summers, but if I had grown up in the north I may be saying the opposite.

All that being said, I'd rather live in middle TN than some places I've been. And we do have some very beautiful scenery here. Unfortunately a lot of it's beautiful in the Summer, when I'm hibernating. But I realize that every place is going to have something negative concerning the weather. The North and Northeast have bad winters. The Pacific Northwest has very dark, cloudy winters, which I think I could deal with since I love cloudy weather, but until I experience such a thing I couldn't say for sure. The South has brutal summers. And the places with perfect climates are too expensive!

So I do plan to leave as soon as possible, but with the economic state being what it is, that's not likely to happen for a while.
I hear ya...the summer months are brutal. Right about now is when I start dreading the weather. May pretty much signifies the beginning of 4 months of crap. The best month here, in my opinion, is October.

I also like your term of "hibernating" for the summer. Works for me too.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:14 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,074 times
We lived in SW Florida for 6 years. Felt the same way you feel about the heat and humidity. It's horrible to be sweaty and hot for such a long time. As far as the people not being friendly, I can understand what you mean. There is nothing wrong with wanting to move back to where you feel happy and can have smiling faces from people that truly are happy to see you!

Old 05-16-2010, 07:17 AM

145 posts, read 515,381 times
I have lived at 12 addresses in 4 states in my lifetime and ended up hating all of them. That is probably behind the statistics why people move every 3 to 5 years, in a normal economy at least. There are good and bad features no matter where you go. It's finding a place where the good outweighs the bad that is the key. Good luck. I wonder if it even exists anymore!

That said, I have come to hate living in White House, TN, because it is too far from my job and my husband's job. I hate the road system! I-65 especially because of how it widens and narrows from multi lanes to 2 lanes and creates massive backups at the merge points. When Briley was closed for nearly a week, I got a rude awakening that it is the only access point to areas near Opryland and the other choices are horrifically bad.

We are looking at Mount Juliet, TN, now. Anyone care to say anything about Mount Juliet? Hubby and I both work east of downtown near Donelson and I-40 access from the east is our planned new commute.

After living in Florida 11 years, I find TN summers easy to take. I hate storm season in TN, though, and always being on edge about it.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:24 AM

112 posts, read 522,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleTNresident View Post
I have lived at 12 addresses in 4 states in my lifetime and ended up hating all of them. That is probably behind the statistics why people move every 3 to 5 years, in a normal economy at least. There are good and bad features no matter where you go. It's finding a place where the good outweighs the bad that is the key. Good luck. I wonder if it even exists anymore!

That said, I have come to hate living in White House, TN, because it is too far from my job and my husband's job. I hate the road system! I-65 especially because of how it widens and narrows from multi lanes to 2 lanes and creates massive backups at the merge points. When Briley was closed for nearly a week, I got a rude awakening that it is the only access point to areas near Opryland and the other choices are horrifically bad.

We are looking at Mount Juliet, TN, now. Anyone care to say anything about Mount Juliet? Hubby and I both work east of downtown near Donelson and I-40 access from the east is our planned new commute.

After living in Florida 11 years, I find TN summers easy to take. I hate storm season in TN, though, and always being on edge about it.
Mount Juliet is a nice suburb. My wife works there and we go there a lot. We were considering living there but the cost of a new house was too much for us at the time.

As for living in Florida.....I can imagine ANYTHING feels cool and breezy compared to that. I've been to FL twice in the summer and about died.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:29 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODAK1979 View Post
As for living in Florida.....I can imagine ANYTHING feels cool and breezy compared to that. I've been to FL twice in the summer and about died.
I've been to Florida once, and it was late September. If I remember correctly it was in the low 90s, and just as humid as here. No thanks!

Old 05-16-2010, 12:18 PM

11 posts, read 27,974 times
Hi Nodak...I've been here 2 years with 2 years to go while the fiancee does grad school, and I can't wait to leave either. I'm from Syracuse, NY, and have also lived in Tulsa, Ok, as well as OKC...and had high hopes for Nashville. But by far MidTN my least favorite place I've lived. I've lived in the White Bridge area, Nolensville Rd and now I live in Franklin and it's just not for me. I've been to many churches, concerts, museums etc and have yet to really find some people that I fit in with. Since I'm already halfway done with my stay here, I'm not even really going to try anymore. Best of luck in 2013!

Old 05-16-2010, 03:48 PM

24 posts, read 69,622 times
I hate it here, too. Moved here years ago from the Pacific Northwest, and I've regretted it ever since. What a waste of time this state is. Good luck in your move.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:44 PM

147 posts, read 334,388 times
Yes this entire state is a waste of time because you personally don't like it.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:47 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,626,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblight View Post
I hate it here, too. Moved here years ago from the Pacific Northwest, and I've regretted it ever since. What a waste of time this state is. Good luck in your move.
Speak for yourself, please. I moved here in 94 fron NJ and absolutely love it!

Old 05-16-2010, 10:14 PM

103 posts, read 335,073 times
What a kick this thread has been! LOL!! If you don't like it here, then MOVE.....problem solved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville